It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt protests: America's secret backing for rebel leaders behind uprising

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Egypt protests: America's secret backing for rebel leaders behind uprising

www.telegraph.co.uk

The American Embassy in Cairo helped a young dissident attend a US-sponsored summit for activists in New York, while working to keep his identity secret from Egyptian state police.

On his return to Cairo in December 2008, the activist told US diplomats that an alliance of opposition groups had drawn up a plan to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak and install a democratic government in 2011.

The secret document in full

He has already been arrested by Egyptian security in connection with the demonstrations and his identity is being protected by The Daily Telegraph.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The telegraph, with supporting documentation, is asserting that the US is behind the recent protests in Egypt and plotting to instill another more democratic government in its place.

This being true, clearly Mubarak has out reigned his usefulness, but how?

The front runner in the media seems to be Mr. Mohammed Elbaradei. Will he be the new puppet?

If this is true, it is outrageous and also draws into question all the other mideast protests and overthrows over the past few weeks.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I apologize on behalf of the USA for spreading freedom.

Not!

Haha. We are damn proud of it.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Did we not see the lines being drawn when the wikileak cables first came out and the current administration was forced into a corner (or it was part of the plan) to get rid of the old guard in the embassies and replace them with the new guard... perhaps that also meant the nations those embassies are in.. (wild speculation on my part)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I would say that is a leap to assume the US is responsible. Because ONE man went to political training with the aid of the US embassy hardly supports the assertion the US is behind thousands taking to the streets. It is interesting, but hardly conclusive. Now it may very well be that the US is in some form behind these events, but this article does not prove it. Good find though, and it does make you think. I have been thinking that a clash of civilizations would rapidly heat up with "radical" changes in Middle Eastern governments. The way the elite work there are always levels upon levels, and we never really figure it all out until years later.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I find it interesting that this is coming from the UK, and not say Iran. An ally busting out our covert activity is very interesting.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Strange story and hardly a condemnation but certainly something to stuff into the back of the brain,,,just in case, A lot of things that may not on the surface appear to be connected sometimes do turn out to be.

This might be somehow related or at least it gives some insight into the relationships over the past two years. (I think this is the WikiLeaks "cables" but they're not using the W-word): Cables: Egypt, US clash over democracy

Iran will no doubt be weighing in soon. Remember that Egypt was thought to be helping Iran get around the sanctions sometime around in the middle of 2010. Remember also that an "enemy of my enemy" sort of relationship was beginning to build in general in the ME.

Here's a recent development that's indicative of their widening ties...last October...
Egypt to resume direct flights after 31-year freeze

Civil aviation and tourism officials agree to begin 28 weekly flights between the two countries, though a start date is unclear. The deal could be 'a prelude' to renewed diplomatic ties for the regional rivals.

edit on 1/28/2011 by ~Lucidity because: added article

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephinrazin
I would say that is a leap to assume the US is responsible. Because ONE man went to political training with the aid of the US embassy hardly supports the assertion the US is behind thousands taking to the streets. It is interesting, but hardly conclusive. Now it may very well be that the US is in some form behind these events, but this article does not prove it. Good find though, and it does make you think. I have been thinking that a clash of civilizations would rapidly heat up with "radical" changes in Middle Eastern governments. The way the elite work there are always levels upon levels, and we never really figure it all out until years later.

I must give credit where credit is due, the link was found by stormdancer777 who asked me to post it up.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Strange story and hardly a condemnation but certainly something to stuff into the back of the brain,,,just in case, A lot of things that may not on the surface appear to be connected sometimes do turn out to be.

This might be somehow related or at least it gives some insight into the relationships over the past two years. (I think this is the WikiLeaks "cables" but they're not using the W-word): Cables: Egypt, US clash over democracy

Iran will no doubt be weighing in soon. Remember that Egypt was thought to be helping Iran get around the sanctions sometime around in the middle of 2010. Remember also that an "enemy of my enemy" sort of relationship was beginning to build in general in the ME.
edit on 1/28/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

I find it particularly interesting that among many Arab friends of mine, there has always been the accusation that the US is behind many mid east protests and here seems to be some verification of that.

Yes, the US has been a bit miffed at Egypt, citing human rights violations. While that may be true, something tells me there is more to it though.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

no one is free these days we are all but slaves to our governments

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I sure would like to know who the names are on the secret documents that have been xxxxxxxx out.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Probably should have read the document before commenting the first time. The source does suggest that the US has considered backing opposition, and gone so far as to plan it. Whether this proves involvement I do not know. The US might have been placing assets in the opposition for either the eventuality that Mubarak would fall, or to have information on the plans the opposition would make. Either way I am less skeptical than I was originally.

The revolt has been receiving fairly good coverage by American media standards. I was kind of surprised. Elbaredi reappearance on the scene might have been his own choice, or he could have been given the opportunity to arrive as a leader. That is speculation, and I might be too conspiracy minded about all this. Often I think my conjecture is a leap, and often it turns out to be at least somewhat correct.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Bunch of Baloney in my opinion.

The world economy is about to sink into an abyss. The Egyptians are just further down the tube than most countries. Civil unrest is going to visit all countries very soon.

And this is the direct result of Banker theft, and ownership of all country's governments.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Will someone with more knowledge then me tell me why we would support a revolution in Egypt, but not Iran or any other nations with human rights issues?

For example

Obama Stands Firm on Restrained Response to Iran Protests

Published June 22, 2009

President Obama is sticking with his call for a restrained U.S. response to Iran's post-election protests as pressure mounts from the GOP for him to "lead" by declaring his support for the country's pro-reform demonstrations.

"The last thing that I want to do is to have the United States be a foil for those forces inside Iran who would love nothing better than to make this an argument about the United States," Obama said in an interview broadcast Monday on CBS' "The Early Show."

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

How do you know we are not?

We normally don't go around airing how we're going to topple so and so's government before we topple it.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

How do you know we are not?

We normally don't go around airing how we're going to topple so and so's government before we topple it.

OH

silly me

You are right.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
From little acorns, mighty oak trees grow.

I see this leak as one piece of evidence, in a pile that will grow as we dig; but be warned - they'll be sweeping up after themselves at a frantic pace by now!

Good find; S & F...!

PS - Hendrix, wake up and smell the roses... The banking collapse was engineered, with a wonderfully apt cover story that 'the bankers got greedy'... Dammit man, this is ATS - we believe in conspiracies here!

EDIT TO ADD -

I always find synchronicity regarding the number '666' to be creepy...

Check out my post ID for this comment: '10442666'

*shudders and pulls the blanket over head*

edit on 28-1-2011 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Interesting this,

Iran thinks it is a new Islamic revolution

Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami in Friday Sermon: A New Islam-Based Middle East Is In the Making; Unrest Is Aftershock of 1979 Islamic Revolution in Iran

In his sermon today, Tehran interim Friday prayer leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ahmad Khatami said that in contrast to the U.S.'s dream of a new Middle East under its domination, a new Middle East based on Islamic principles is now taking shape.

Stating that the popular uprisings in the Arab world herald the creation of "an Islamic Middle East" based on the religion and religious democracy – in contrast to claims by former U.S. secretary of state Condoleezza Rice that a new Middle East would be developed under the leadership of the U.S. and Israel – he underlined that this ongoing unrest is the aftershock of the 1979 Islamic Revolution in Iran.
www.memri.org...
He added that the recent uprisings in the Arab world have Islamic support, as people poured into the streets with the slogan of "Allahu Akhbar (Allah is the Greatest)."

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I wondered what the Alliance of Youth Movements, were from the secret documents

en.wikipedia.org...

The Alliance for Youth Movements (AYM) began with a December 2008 summit in New York City to identify, convene, and engage 21st century movements online for the first time in history. The United States Department of State partnered with Facebook, Howcast, MTV, Google, YouTube, AT&T, JetBlue, Gen-Next, Access 360 Media, and Columbia Law School to launch a global network and empower young people mobilizing against violence and oppression.

Founders of AYM include Jared Cohen, former advisor to both Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton and now Director of Google Ideas at Google, Jason Liebman, CEO and co-founder of Howcast and Roman Tsunder, co-founder of Access 360 Media.

Speakers at the 2008 summit included actress Whoopi Goldberg, Facebook Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz, The Obama Campaign’s New Media Team, and then-current Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs of the United States James K. Glassman.

In March 2009 U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced and endorsed the Second Alliance for Youth Movements Summit[1], which was held October 14–16, 2009, in Mexico City . This Summit explored the role of technology in mobilizing young people working to end violence throughout Latin America and around the world. Young delegates, described by Secretary Clinton as “the vanguard of a rising generation of citizen activists,”[2] were joined by more than 15 private and public partners, including the world’s leading technology companies. Together they launched discussions on how to best use the latest technological tools to catalyze change, build movements, and transform lives.

now you see why they shut down the internet access

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Uh-oh... My dream seems to be coming true. I'm worried now!

Here's a transcript of the dream I'm referring to, in the form of a comment I posted in the other Egypt thread.

reply to post by undo

Your post made me think of a dream I had recently where such a 'Muslim Brotherhood' gained control of a previously West-allied nation state. All the Western Elite that were living in the country were rounded up and savagely murdered by hate-spewing fundamentalist jihadis, dressed like the Moors whom the British Crusaders went to war against in the Middle Ages.

It was bizarre to see so many of the powerful Elite being so scared of what might happen to them (they were caught off guard and unprepared for the attack). I remember being confused at own reaction; sympathy and support towards these aristocratic Westerners I'd previously considered fascist and dictatorial/ running conspiracies 'left, right & centre'. What clinched it was the 'death camps' the Jihadis had created; rough-shod execution cages, where even women and children were being massacred daily.

In the dream I became part of an uprising to remove the murdering b'stards stranglehold on the nation.

I just remembered that in the dream, these fundamentalist murderers (please don't think I'm anti-Muslim, I'm not) arrived in the nation via TUNNELS. Now I think about it, isn't there a tunnel from Palestine to Egypt? That's frickin' scary.

Some of my dreams have proven prophetic in the past; I hope not this one. It was terrible - I was soaked in the blood of those being executed at one point; hideous...

edit on 28-1-2011 by FlyInTheOintment because: formatting

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join