It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help A Noob Build A Solid Camping Gear Kit....On $1000.00

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Let us say you are a noob to camping, and have 1000 dollars to devote to a camping gear kit. (let us assume you begin your kit with nothing, no camping gear at all.)

What would your helpful list contain for this camping noob?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A Question, before I start making suggestions:
What do you mean/envision when you say "camping"? I ask because backpacking vs tent camping vs motor camping will have different lists of "priority" type gear. Example: will you be on the move and need to carry all your gear or will you be mostly stationary and living out of tent or will you have an RV? Of course, these may vary but what do you envision you will be doing Most of the time?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Good containers are always very important. That way you have a nice way to haul stuff around and the stuff inside it.

Water purifier / reverse osmosis machine...

Hand crank radio - they have these with solar charges on them now for your cell phone too...

Maps as compasses may be rendered useless...

A nice knife, or two...One that folds and one that is a fixed blade...

These are just a few things that will be a necessity in any good camping/survival kit.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Excellent questions, All.

Given the forum we're in, it would seem more a question of,
' what's the best bang for the buck in survival equip'

... on a $1,000 budget. (?)

edit on 1/28/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
More information please:
Has this"noob" ever been"camping"before? What does "noob" consider "camping"? where is said"noob" headed? And for how long?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
To be honest you better be happy with a tentt and fire. Know how to garden

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Really the only way to know what you will need is to go on a short camping trip with a tent ,cooker,water,food ,shovel and lighter and then see what you need and dont need.Remember less is better

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Great questions - its hard to know the kit without knowing the purpose.

Just in general I'd go with - "Fire Good!" as the cavemen used to say. Fire can mean warmth, cooking, protection, etc.

So - a good camp axe and fire starting kit would be a good place to start.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Read the book "When all hell breaks loose" by Cody Lundin. He gives a common sense approach to setting yourself up such a kit. A good portion of the stuff out there is overpriced and ultimately the result of the greed mongers out there producing stuff that is a waste of money and designed by people that have never even been camping.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

That is a great book! Will give the readers some good insight into things they may not have thought about before.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I advise a BCB Nato survival tin for any outdoor enthusiast. If your in the US about $20 or you may have a cheaper alternative there. This is what I am talking about:

cgi.ebay.co.uk...

Includes: Instructions, Pencil, Sewing Kit, Wire Saw, Whistle, Snare Wire, Puritabs, Cutter, Safety Pins, Fishing Kit, Compass, Flint/Striker, Book Matches, Night Light.

After that all you need is your knife. Anything more is considered luxury!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Camping kits are about what you need, not what you want. If you try to pack everything you want you will be kicking yourself everytime you you have to load and unload your stuff. Most of it will go un used.

I love camping and do alot of it. My basic kit for car camping is
tent
Matches
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
small portable bbq
small tea pot
camp stove
plastic container for food storage
camp chair
ice chest
tarp
lantern
camping dish set/cook set
camp eating utensils (metal)
dutch oven.
Small portable am/fm radio
fishing gear
flashlight
camera

For backpacking
Matches
backpack
tent
sleeping bag
first aid kit
small pack stove
small teapot
messkit
Bear proof food canister
40 S&W
camera
small radio
fishing equipment
small tarp
first aid kit
small bag of rice for emergency use only. Goes along way if you happen to get stuck or lost.
edit on 28-1-2011 by rbilly001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Yes .. but if you're to consider any sort of 'beyond a weekend' type scenario(s0, you'll likely need a dozen or so of those.

[ETA]

rbilly,
THAT is an Excellent 'starter list'.

edit on 1/28/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sorry so vague.

An unexperienced camper, for summer car camping. To enjoy being out in the elements and in nature. Probably at state parks, camp grounds or the like.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Sorry so vague.

An unexperienced camper, for summer car camping. To enjoy being out in the elements and in nature. Probably at state parks, camp grounds or the like.

The basics:

Backpack
Sleeping bag and pad
Tent or Bivy and a Tarp
Water bottles or container
Clothes for the season (wool or polypro multiple weight layers, no cotton)
Raincoat and Hiking Boots
Flashlight/headlamp with extra batteries
Food and Kitchen ware
Cordage or rope (you may need to hang your food, depending on where you are) also good for clothes line, etc.
Maps/compass or GPS, if necessary
Personal Hygiene kit
First aid kit
Firestarter kit of some sort (prob. won't need since many national parks have fire-bans in the summer)
So you will need camping stove with Fuel, instead.
A good book

*Do online search for "Camping checklists" you will get many ideas.

/jk, sort of...

edit on 28-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Okay:

First of all:

Shelter. Depending where you are and the time of year depends on the type of shelter, ranging from hand constructed moss and bark shelters made with a knife and wood, or one man tents or canopies and hammock.

Knife. At least one. For a thousand different uses. Make sure you get a good one. Two if possible.

A way of making fire - flint, tinder, wood, fire lighters, matches, spare matches, lighter, spare lighter - store them tightly.

Torch, lightweight, possibly head torch and spare batteries.

Clothes. Waterproof, warm, and also lightweight spares (depending on the weather).

A good rucksack, waterproof.

Boots. Waterproof.

Map, compass and possibly GPS.

Whistle, mess tins, sewing kit, small hand saw (chain variety).

Food. Dry rations, or energy food such as nuts, chocolate, dried fruit.

Foldable water container, plus two small spare bottles.

Bowl, cup, multi-tool , insect repellent, spare string, wind up radio, water purifier tablets (although always boil water if collected).

All the above you can carry on your back.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
1000 dollars to gear up for car camping is more than enough. Get the basics which should'nt cost you anywere near a thousand bucks. Put the leftover cash in a jar and save it, after you go camping you will get a feel for other things you may need. Coleman makes some decent camping products for what you are looking to do.

Some advice.
Ziplock bags are really handy for food storage and keeping things dry. I always put my socks and underclothes in them, so at minimum I have dry socks and underwear. Also they can be used to keep electronics safe from water.

When buying camping cookware stay away from pans that have teflon type coating, you will end up with teflon coated eggs.

Whether you have a delux zero degree sleeping bag or a walmart special spiderman sleeping bag you will be cold all night unless you put something between you and the ground.

Always bring extra cash, alot of the camping area's are away from civilization and alot of the stores near them only take cash.

Camp fuel and firewood are way cheaper in town, a can of camping fuel will cost you between 4-6$ in town but will run anywere between 12-20$ in the mountains. Same goes for most supplies and food.

Once you get into popular camping area's gas prices are usually 40 cents a gallon higher than populated areas.

Don't forget a pillow, even though you are roughing it a pillow will save your neck and back.

When you buy a compass also buy a book on how to use it.

edit on 28-1-2011 by rbilly001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Thank you for all the wonderful lists and ideas, I appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
If you want to be able to head out on foot and go backpacking………….

A good backpack that has a frame. An internal frame, or an external frame. Around $100

Good hiking boots and cloths are number one. $300
And I have found it nice to carry along an extra pair of socks and sneekers in case you get your boots soaking wet. It helps beyond words when it is cold outside.
It is also nice to have a simple change of clothes (light pants shirt and light coat) in case you get wet.(fall in the water)

Accommodations can vary.
A simple tarp that you can fold up and strap onto the backpack.$30
A bunch of tent pegs $10
Rope $10
A proper tent is heavier and cost more, But not needed when in most situations.
Good backpacking sleeping bag around $150

Food is a must
Water container/s. $30
Food/Food container/s. $30
Good small stove. $70
Fuel/Fuel container/s $20
Small set of cookware and utensils $20
Good knife, $20
Lighters, $5

Food should be the type with a lot of energy in it. Sugar and fat.
Do you want to be able to use local water? A purifier would be nice, but you can sterilize the water by boiling it.

Lighting.
Good small lantern that runs off the same fuel as the stove. $30
Good small head lamp with extra batteries. $30

Bug repellent. $10
Compass and map $10
Radio that uses same batteries as head lamp $10

Fishing/snaring equipment if needed $20
That rounds out to about $900 at under 25 pounds of pack weight not including food/water.
Food and water should make up the majority of the pack weight. About 25 pounds at minimum. 10 pound of food and 15 pound of water. Enough for 3 days with ease supplies to spare.

If you ration yourself on food and use the stove to sterilize water to supplement the water that you already have, then you can push it out way past three days of activity.

Hand gun for hunting and defense, if needed. $200 Puts you at $1100

If you want to operate from the car, then………. Then you can ditch the big backpack and put that money on a good tent. Bring more water, food and fuel to allow you to stay longer. I would still bring a small backpack that you can load a days worth of supplies in (food, water, knife, map compass, and a change of clothes.) so that you can go on short hikes away from the car.

.............Edit………..

I can point to specific products, prices, and weights if you want me to

edit on 28-1-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
you might want to look into buying military surplus, the u.s. has a lot of gear that is designed for long trem boonie living. that has to meet mil specs, which are very tuff. you can buy twice the gear at a surplus store, than you can at a trending out fitter store.
for a quick example:
alice pack and frame or the the newer ones not sure what they are called now
sleeping bags all sorts of weather rated
water carrying / purifying
tents from 1 man to concert hall size just joking about concert size but you can get some huge tents.
rain gear all sorts my favorite is the poncho in a pinch it can be turn into a tent, also you can get water proof bags
cold weather gear / clothing also if you dont mind wearing cammies surplus bdu's are very tuff cloths
foot wear / combat boots designed for all types of environments
navigation / compasses, map carriers
first aid kits
cutting tools / knives, axes, hatchets and machete
lighting all sorts / have to find the right stores for these
the list goes on and on. also remember the lighter the load the better, when i was in the corp we trained with a 80lbs load.

forgot to mention fire, gotta have it. some people say to carry flint strikers so do i but i also say carry about 3 or 4 bic lighters and put them in a few different locations in your pack or on your person. its a lot easier to flick your bic than to have to keep scraping that striker. water proof matches work well to. you can always fall back to the striker if you have to

edit on 28-1-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join