It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands protest in Jordan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Thousands protest in Jordan

english.aljazeera.net

Thousands of people in Jordan have taken to the streets in protests, demanding the country's prime minister step down, and the government curb rising prices, inflation and unemployment.

In the third consecutive Friday of protests, about 3,500 opposition activists from Jordan's main Islamist opposition group, trade unions and leftist organisations gathered in the capital, waving colourful banners reading: "Send the corrupt guys to court".

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
If Egypt does fall, which looks like it will, the revolutions will rapidly build momentum around the Middle East.

We could see numerous governments in the region fall in the near future . It could also set the stage for civil wars to engulf some of the countries.

When the dust settles, I cannot imagine what will be the outcome.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
"Mum, if I died dont cry, I would die so my country can live, be happy mother and be proud of me, and remember me on the day of victory, and teach my young siblings to sacrifice like me."

LONG LIVE THE PEOPLE'S REVOLUTION!!
edit on 1/28/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This was one of the first things to come to mind................

Wonder whats next?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

In the third consecutive Friday of protests, about 3,500 opposition activists from Jordan's main Islamist opposition group, trade unions and leftist organisations gathered in the capital, waving colourful banners reading: "Send the corrupt guys to court".

Things are *not too* bad here yet, as they are only protesting on their weekend days (Fridays) so far...

Members of the Islamic Action Front, the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood and Jordan's largest opposition party, swelled the ranks of the demonstrators, massing outside the al-Husseini mosque in Amman and filling the downtown streets with their prayer lines.

Well, this is not good news as it appears that the faction of the Muslim Brotherhood are the bulk of those protesting...the B'hood seems to be the common theme emerging in many of these protests/revolts...

King Abdullah has promised some reforms, particularly on a controversial election law. But many believe it is unlikely he will bow to demands for the election of the prime minister and Cabinet officials, traditionally appointed by the king.

We are dealing with a different situation in Jordan, in that they have never pretended to be a "democracy"; replicating their system of the once British monarchy/parliment...

*All content from OP's original source, above*
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm a US citizen, but could be a dual citizen in HKOJ now (and am probably "legally" so due to Sharia law), so I'm very familiar with the country, and its politics.

The "Bedouins" of the country are very loyal to the King, and it would take much outside force and blood to topple this government, IMO.

The US embassy is enormous (especially underground); however, I must say that I no longer know where the US government stands anymore with any existing Middle Eastern government/country at this point.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention; S/F

edit on 28-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I can assure you that Jordan will not have an overthrow of the government. First off, they are too strong of an ally for the US. Their geographical location, the fact that Queen Noor is from New Jersey and is the main reason for American influence in that country and has been for over 40 years now, we have military bases there, some of our military works within the Jordanian military, and I have an inside source that is a high ranking military official that suggested this could even be a distraction from other things to throw the media off.

Egypt has been troubled for some time....it wouldnt surprise me if Yemen, Oman, and even Syria get overthrown. But Jordan will be the last one standing if anything happens over there because they have been the underground tunnel for the US to Israel and the rest of the Middle East since we grew an interest there back in the early 1900s.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
"Mum, if I died dont cry, I would die so my country can live, be happy mother and be proud of me, and remember me on the day of victory, and teach my young siblings to sacrifice like me."

LONG LIVE THE PEOPLE'S REVOLUTION!!

Misoir:

Based on prior conversation,
Do you still think Jordan is "stable"?

Reply to MONKEYWRENCH:

Star for you in your ability to distinguish and articulate what I was trying to say....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Wow ... first it was

Tunisia
Egypt
Yemen
now ...Jordan

the entire middle east is collapsing ... NO MORE PUPPET REGIME

the people have spoken

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

We will stand by you - I know this as fact. Despite what might appear in the press.
We owe you. We will support your King.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

I would have to say they are stable, for now, but I am telling you this and want to make it very clear:

If Egypt falls all bets are off. Any and every nation in the Middle East will be open to revolution. Egypt is the Berlin Wall, all Arab tyrants can fall if Mubarak does. And if the Middle East tyrants fall don't be surprised to see that spread to Africa and even possibly Asia.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Errgg...

It is looking good for the people who want *change*, and I am happy for them in many, many ways....

People deserve better; that's for sure!

Am I being paranoid, or is this an Islamic Revolution that is spreading throughout the Middle East?

My family in the Middle East are either Christians or Atheists...and I am fearful for them.

(Gets ready to shelter dozens of relatives who have dual citizenship in US--who currently all assure me that all is normal in Jordan!)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

All the statements i've seen have shown remarkable solidarity between christians and muslims. They really do seem united against the government.

Thanks for that insight Misoir, i'm watching the knockon effect closely, given my location. Zimbabwe and a few others come to mind as candidates. But i can't call this, it's just totally unpredictable. I do think that Jordan will escape, the king seems to look after the people, better than the dictators.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Is it an Islam centered revolution? No.
Does Islam have a heavy influence on it? Yes

Look much of the Arab world lives under dictators who are relatively secular such as in Tunisia and Egypt. Islam had been mostly suppressed from public life. What I would expect however is not Islamic fanatics taking over but rather how things have changed in Iran after the Iranian Revolution. Islam became more powerful and more popular along with the Islamic traditions but they grew accustomed to the relative secularism of permitting and accepting non-Muslims.

So should you be prepared to have a bed made for your relatives? Probably not. But they will have a different lifestyle than they currently do. Islam will have a much larger stake in public life than it currently does. But I believe Arabs in general are an accepting people. So I wouldn't be making the bed just yet...

new topics

top topics

join