It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there be a chocolate drought? World’s supply of sustainable cocoa could run out by 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Will there be a chocolate drought? World’s supply of sustainable cocoa could run out by 2014

www.dailymail.co.uk

The situation is already affecting chocolate manufacturers, who are facing the highest cocoa prices for over 30 years.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Fri Jan 28 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: to match ATS article title with source title

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
i would HATE to be in a world without M&M's..
but this is a symptom of worldwide problems with our foodchain.
war, environment disruptions, insect problems,(BEES), are all signs of the times..
What kind of a world are we leaving for our kids??
what other food stuff should we expect to be hard, or impossible to keep??-- or FIND?
COFFEE next??
Peanut butter??
sugar? WHEAT????

www.dailymail.co.uk (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Part of the problem with the shortage is increased demand for healthier kinds of chocolate, namely dark chocolate, and the darker the chocolate, the more cocoa bean is needed.

As customer taste has shifted from milk chocolate to dark, demand for cocoa has risen; the darker the chocolate, the more cocoa is required for production.

Dark chocolate has recently been considered the "healthier" of the chocolates, with high levels of flavonoid antioxidants; it has also been found to lower blood pressure.

articles.moneycentral.msn.com...

The article also mentions that the prices today are already part of the shortage equation.
In addition to the unrest in Ivory Coast, the weather in Africa has affect cocoa production, and that is a more or less known factor in pricing.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

i would HATE to be in a world without M&M's..

It really would not affect me as i do not like choclate,must be something wrong with me lol

But im gonna give you a S+F for that line alone,thats some funny sh#t man!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

It really would not affect me as i do not like choclate,must be something wrong with me lol

In a way you're very lucky.

I think I'm going to have to buy a tin of cocoa everytime I go shopping now. Instant coffee too. Just in case.
A world without chocolate. That's kinda scary!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
In addition to weather and politics, a disease is also playing a part in the cocoa crop:
www.bbc.co.uk...

Swollen shoot is a disease that is devastating farms in the centre of Ivory Coast, which produces nearly 40% of the world's cocoa, the main ingredient in chocolate.

"Those who come to do research say it's a virus, like HIV/Aids," Mr Sorogo says. "It's not easy to fight."

Other factors in cocoa scarcity:
Very low wages for cocoa farmers.
Land being used to produce palm oil (for biolfuel).
Land being used for rubber and food production.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I never liked chocolate.. not just to eat it but its okay when its in or with something. The husband is a chocolate FIEND though. For years.. EVERY weekend he sits down in the recliner with a monster glass of milk and 2 chocolate bars. Dove or Godiva is his favorite at the moment. He will sit there and sloooowly eat those 2 bars with that glass of milk while compulsively flipping channels and watching 3 shows at once. Im going to have to stock up because if anyone messes with his ritual, its not gonna be pretty.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
What is strange is that cocoa is supposedly scarce, yet it has only gone up 3% in the last year as opposed to cotton and corn that have gone up 143% and 78% respectively.

What is the deal here? money.cnn.com...

Check these 1 year charts of commodities. I'd stock up on clothing and grains before cocoa. Although I'd rather have a brownie than a cup of corn!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
this is a symptom of worldwide problems with our foodchain.
what other food stuff should we expect to be hard, or impossible to keep??-- or FIND?
COFFEE next??
Peanut butter??
sugar? WHEAT????
Farmers will tend to produce whatever they CAN produce that will yield them the most profits. If prices of any one commodity remain high enough, more people should produce it and that should alleviate the supply/demand imbalance.

But at some point, the population growth of the Earth isn't sustainable, and it won't be as much an issue of trade-offs about what to produce, there will just be too many people. I'm not sure at what population level that will happen, maybe it's already starting to happen?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I believe it was last year that manufacturers were talking about using a chocolate substitute like we have now with most flavors to use in candy bars. A corn syrup base with a chocolate flavor substitute. OH NO! I started buying cocoa and chocolate baker's squares, cause I almost went into a panic. How long can chocolate stay in the freezer? Gotta have my chocolate. Hey, I have a genuine bottle of l00% maple syrup in my fridge. No joke!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is great news! Now instead of buying gold and silver I should buy as much Cocoa Powder, and unsweetened chocolate blocks that I can lay my hands on!
Look at the benefits! Price will go up. It keeps practically forever if stored correctly. And if the doody hits the fan, then not only can you barter with it, you can make any roadkill nice and tasty. Mmmmmm....chocolate covered roadkill...aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

my first thought was if we run low on cocoa we'll see more corn syrup based candies which i believe the US profits off of sticking in everything, so this is all big business.
edit on 28-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

funny..

stocking up on chocolate? i dunno,, it would never make it to the Apocalypse..!!

Halloween candy never makes it to new-years-eve..

just saying...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

To the people who would want to 'put up' some (lots) of chocolate for a future lean time, be well advised that it only keeps well as cocoa powder - the cocoa butter is a fat that goes rancid (as all fats do - hydrogenating= evil, but shelf-life prolonging). It is still chocolate flavor, but nowhere as silken delicious without that most singular ingredient. Perhaps there will be a development in new growing location, less disease, better socio-political aspects and everything else that prompts this potential shortage, but perhaps not... We, the chocolate-lovers should enjoy now in advance of having to do with less (or, horrifyingly, NONE!) This holds true for all commodities that are desired, but truer still for those that are 'required'...

I had no idea that cotton was so exponentially increased - thank you for that info... I am thinking about which natural things are the most required, as opposed to just desired (no matter how strongly - I'm still worried sick about the honeybee situation...) It occurs to me that our top priorities are water and air - how mundane...
Signed, REBZ @ Here...

new topics

top topics

join