It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You Believe Everything You Read

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I thought this might be useful here for some reason...

Why You Believe Everything You Read

Have you ever read a misleading headline or an outrageous rumor and mistaken it to be true? Even the most cynical people have a psychological tendency to believe everything they read at first, says Jeremy Dean of PsyBlog.

Why? Because to understand something is to believe it. At least initially....

"Believing is not a two-stage process involving first understanding then believing," writes Dean. "Instead understanding is believing, a fraction of a second after reading it, you believe it until some other critical faculty kicks in to change your mind."

The next time you read something that sounds a little outlandish, take time to absorb it and then question the material.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If there was ever an article that needed to be posted on ATS, this is it!!

We've all been duped at some point, fallen prey to BS or just wanted to beleive so much we didn't really think it through.

Thanks for posting, all the best, Kiwi

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
if i believed everything i read on here i would be a very mixed up confused person indeed. but i suppose a fraction of a second is a short while so i will have to think about theis when i next read the newspaper and see some crap that is obviously a load of bs.
edit on 28-1-2011 by lewman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot

If there was ever an article that needed to be posted on ATS, this is it!!

We've all been duped at some point, fallen prey to BS or just wanted to beleive so much we didn't really think it through.
Truer words were never said!

I used to be more open-minded, but one day you realize there's a bunch of garbage collecting in that open mind like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79e0928efa27.png[/atsimg]

I'm not letting as much garbage slip through any more since I'm more skeptical now,though the article is probably right and I'm still probably letting some stuff slip through that shouldn't. At least if we're aware of the problem, we have a better chance of filtering out the untrue stuff.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This may sound weird...But, sometimes I know its ridiculous...and I still enjoy sending time thinking over its validity...David Ikes stories seem to be a mind twirler for me.....

Z

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Oh and also when someone is skeptical of something, it really doesn't help at all to bash the skeptics during the course of the entire thread, as you are really just diverting away from the subject matter involved.

Without skeptics anything, and everything, would go unchallenged around here.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
so...why should I believe this?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Here is why people believe things..

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sorry,i do not believe everything i read. Even if something is very believable,i question it,until I find proof.
I play sceptic until i have the facts right infront of me.
So,sorry scientist,you're wrong. My mind works the oppossite.
I disbelieve,until i find fact.

new topics

top topics

join