It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Supports Mid-East Protests: PM Harper

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Canada Supports Mid-East Protests: PM Harper

ca.news.yahoo.com

.Prime Minister Stephen Harper offered support on Thursday for democratic protests taking place in the Middle East, but stressed they must be non-violent.

"We're obviously watching developments there with great attention," said Harper, who is in Morocco for trade talks. "We want to see democratic development in [Egypt] as well. We're very supportive of that. At the same we want to see that happen in a way that is peaceful and non-violent."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Also, Canadians are planning local protests in support of the uprising in Egypt. Are these protests going to start in Washington as well, I wonder?...
toronto.ctv.ca...

This all may spark into something larger... However, Greece and Ireland and Iran were on the brink a few months ago and the MSM downplayed it, like they are doing now, and nothing, truly, became of the situation...

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well no one's talking about it here in Windsor so I doubt we're about to revolt here, lol.
I'm keeping an eye on the situation though, it seems to be getting interesting. They said (CNN) if the government collapses then the likelihood of Al-Qaeda becoming the new power will be increased greatly. I'm not too familiar with the Egypt and how likely that would be, but still, it's something to keep an eye on.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Here is the "official" Washington statement on Egypt; POTUS already stated his supportive position on the situation in Tunisia (that is--if you believe him):

We are monitoring the situation in Egypt closely. The United States supports the fundamental right of expression and assembly for all people. All parties should exercise restraint, and we call on the Egyptian authorities to handle these protests peacefully.

As Secretary Clinton said in Doha, people across the Middle East – like people everywhere – are seeking a chance to contribute and to have a role in the decisions that will shape their lives. We want to see reform occur, in Egypt and elsewhere, to create greater political, social, and economic opportunity consistent with people’s aspirations. The United States is a partner of Egypt and the Egyptian people in this process, which we believe should unfold in a peaceful atmosphere.

We have raised with governments in the region the need for reforms and greater openness and participation in order to respond to their people’s aspirations – and we will continue to do so.

www.state.gov...

The US position (overtly) sounds pretty "hands-off", IMO

edit on 28-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: added content

edit on 28-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I am surprised that Stephen Harper didn't call them terrorists and condemn them. There must be an alternative motive for his statement. His party and or agenda (his agenda usually is with Washington) must have something to gain with the current Egyptian government if it would totally fail.

I never trusted that snake Stephen Harper one bit, even though our other Prime Ministers were just as bad, at least they had a harmless look to them. If you look at Harper he has an aura of evil (in my opinion).

Thanks for putting this out there, star and flag.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizen519
Well no one's talking about it here in Windsor so I doubt we're about to revolt here, lol.
I'm keeping an eye on the situation though, it seems to be getting interesting. They said (CNN) if the government collapses then the likelihood of Al-Qaeda becoming the new power will be increased greatly. I'm not too familiar with the Egypt and how likely that would be, but still, it's something to keep an eye on.

I would guess that the new power in Egypt would be The Muslim Brotherhood...?

But perhaps they are aligning with The Base?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

I also heard on CNN that the leading opposition is called "Muslim Brotherhood", and they were branded as extremists.

I wonder... could Egypt be the next regime for the USA and friends to topple?

I don't believe everything I hear on CNN. I actually disbelieve almost anything. I just found it odd that they went out of there way to speak about the opposition in such a way without giving any examples why. But that is the mainstream media for you.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: add to post

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
double post
edit on 28-1-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Harper is completely full of crap!!!
Anyone remember the G20 riots in Toronto????
They trampled on OUR democratic rights blatantly and got away with it but he supports other countries democratic freedom???
He doesn't even support Canadian's democratic rights.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I am surprised that Stephen Harper didn't call them terrorists and condemn them. There must be an alternative motive for his statement. His party and or agenda (his agenda usually is with Washington) must have something to gain with the current Egyptian government if it would totally fail.

I never trusted that snake Stephen Harper one bit, even though our other Prime Ministers were just as bad, at least they had a harmless look to them. If you look at Harper he has an aura of evil (in my opinion).

Thanks for putting this out there, star and flag.

I agree..Even the US reaction is not what I expected..
They were pretty chummy with the Egyptian Government..
Are we all missing something here.???

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
OOoooohh Here cooomme da biiig baaad el queeeedah comming to gitcha !
Give us all your money!
Give us all your dope!
Give us all your freedoms!
Give us all your hope!

Its getting old.The same refrain, repeated adnausia.In the immortal words of GW Bush, our illustrious war leader.....
Its a case of fool me once uh well if you get fooled uh once uh you the guy who gets fooled uh dont get fooled uh again.....
Blue beam would almost be a comic relief .....Some new material at least....

I suspect that if we would talk to our Egyptian cousins, on a person to person basis, wed find out that they merely want the same exact things that you or i want.
Peace, And a chance to live a normal life, with reasonable expectation of the nessessities.and a chance to earn same.
It is the machinations of those far above such normal desires, that have wrought the socialogical, and ecological retribution with which we are now faced.
Corporations have become godlike entities, which we worship and slave for as a race....!
These imaginary, paper creations have become the masters collectively, of most of the human race!
This abnormal psychological marvel, This insane self inflicted cancer is venerated, and perpetuated, waay of life!

I wish these brothers and sisters well in their endeavour to make their home a better place for themselves and their children.
Goverments, and corporations everywhere, have aparently, cut too deep for too long.
This backlash may be the kick start that society needs to find its bearings.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I haven't been following this too much but I'm surprised by Harper's comments. I'm all for democracy but how do we know thats the kind of government that will replace the current one? Last thing we need is more radical islam bordering Israel.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Exactly, as soon as I saw those statements I knew something was up. I cannot claim to know, because I don't. I can only guess which is not good to do on here sometimes. But one of my guesses would be that once the Egyptian government is toppled, the new governing party will either be inserted by the US. Or it will be "an enemy of the US" and "terrorist organization" that will pave the way for the occupation of Egypt.

I know it sounds far fetched, it is only a theory with no proof behind it.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Are we all missing something here.???

Obviously.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Or it will be "an enemy of the US" and "terrorist organization" that will pave the way for the occupation of Egypt.

I know it sounds far fetched, it is only a theory with no proof behind it.

Even more far fetched would be if the new Government was anti Israel and war started to fulfill Israel's prophecy..
Nothing would surprise me....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

I haven't been following this too much but I'm surprised by Harper's comments. I'm all for democracy but how do we know thats the kind of government that will replace the current one? Last thing we need is more radical islam bordering Israel.

Last thing we need is MORE interferences from outsiders telling citizens how they should live. It is their choice, regardless if it is a theocracy or democracy. It will be their mistake or their achievement, but that choice is entirely theirs to make on their own free will on how their society will function or misfunction.

And it will be for the rest of us to give more tolerance and learn to live in peace with them just as they too, in their own way, seek to live in peace, unless otherwise proven, which will still not be too late for diplomacy or war upon a pariah nation state.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Or it will be "an enemy of the US" and "terrorist organization" that will pave the way for the occupation of Egypt.

Well since so much rest of the world seems so happy about this situation my guess is it would be anti US, especially if it is the Muslim brotherhood.
Iranian Media Hail Egypt ‘Revolution’
cnsnews.com...

What reforms are the people asking for?

edit on 103131p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Even more far fetched would be if the new Government was anti Israel and war started to fulfill Israel's prophecy.. Nothing would surprise me....

Hey that scenario is very plausible, many people on here will disagree because Israel can do no harm LOL. I am not trying to turn into that kind of thread. But everyone knows Israel/Mossad has an influence in EVERYTHING that happens in that region.

I just hope the people of Egypt don't get it too bad via the outcome. They have suffered long enough at their rulers, but then again so have we.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

What reforms are the people asking for?

Sorry, I am not sure if I understood your question. Were you wondering what reforms the people of Egypt were asking for?

If that was your question, my answer would be that the people of Egypt are sick of their corrupt government, want jobs, food, and the fair necessities of life and are standing up for it finally. Cheers to them, I hope it works in their favor.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

Last thing we need is MORE interferences from outsiders telling citizens how they should live. It is their choice, regardless if it is a theocracy or democracy. It will be their mistake or their achievement, but that choice is entirely theirs to make on their own free will on how their society will function or misfunction.

Yes, but that is not how it is done, we strongly supports democracy when they choose the "correct" candidate, if we do not like it, oh well, an autocratic dictator here or there never hurt anyone. (the citizens of these countries don't count, obviously)

As for the OP... it seems like the blanket lip service that we expect from our politicians. It makes no difference what they say, we must watch what they do.
So far, no one has asked Mubarak to stop sending the army on the protesters, even less so a threat of sanctions.

the Billmeister

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join