It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unions vow coordinated cuts action

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

You have oks,wellI have been homeless also,in London, that is why, I for one would make sure Ikept my job,rather than being found out and sacked. That would be a no win,no win situation. And I didntmean to offend, if I did I apologise,

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

But there sometimes comes a point where you just have to have the balls to stand up for what you believe in or is it a case of 'Im all right Jack'?

Not saying this includes you Laura but there are far too many people in this world who sit around and moan but aren't actually prepared to do anything themselves and sit on the fence and let other's take the risks.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

No worries..

We've also got to look at it from another point of view if you are jobless.. If you've been sacked/made redundant, then you're already on easy street.. Go sign on, get your housing and council tax paid by those that you've just recently protested against..

If you've got kids, then you'll probably be getting child benefit, child tax credits and free fruit/milk

I love and enjoy being busy though.. doing something.. even volunteering.. i don't mind working for nothing.. just keep the coffee flowing and I'm happy..

Many people shout and scream about the way they pay tax to fund the unemployed, but I bet you there are just as many self employed people out there who need to be heavily audited.. the tune might then change if these stats were released.. so maybe the unemployed might get a break.. after all, it's not always the fault of the unemployed for being in that situation.. it's the BS economy.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
At last The Unions seem to be awakening from the slumber they were in and are starting to lead the fight back against these completely unnecessary and ill intentioned cuts.

Unnecessary?? are you kidding me?, Have you any idea how much debt the UK has now? I don't want people to loose their jobs but it is necessary to stop us going down the pan. The public sector does NOT generate any wealth, basically, we are spending more than we are earning. Benefits also need to be SLASHED way back as well.

Personally I don't think the cuts are big enough and as for the Unions, well, they are just like any other corporation out for themselves, hell, they are so in your face that they openly fund political parties.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

This debt has come from a broken system..

It is almost insanity that anyone who works needs to claim working tax credits to prop up their earnings.. even though they pay tax on their earnings!!

Makes no sense to me.

surely there was a time where your wage would allow you to obtain all that you needed to support yourself and your family without having to take out a loan or get a credit card.. This economy is it's own enemy.

The rich and powerful do nothing to support anyone but themselves and constant tax hikes on everyday items, such as fuel, only affects those that do not earn enough and need working tax credits.

IMO, the top earners, be it a single self employed person or a mega corporation, are not being taxed enough. But even if they do, what would they do? Increase their prices so the poor pay more..

A prime example of this is the recent news that GM, after being bailed out by the US government, took a load of money to Mexico in order to make cars down there whilst employing non-US people on a much lower wage.. mostly in order for GM to show they are making a profit and are a viable asset to the economy..

totally crazy to be honest..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

I personaly understand the need for some cuts, but the government have made the wrong alterations to their spending as far as I am concerned. Rather than cutting education spending, and cutting JOBS from the public sector to the degree that they are, the government should be scrutinising every tiny little expenditure that thier departments make.
HMRC for instance, the group responsible for the investigation of tax evasion among other things, are loosing money like a pig loosing blood after a slaughterman has done his work. The reason for this is that all thier buildings the length of the land, are owned and site managed by a group called Mapely, one of the biggest tax evaders in Britain. Furthermore, said company has control over what comes in and out of every one of the offices of the HMRC. Let me give you an example. When you or I discover that our computer mouse has broken, we nip into town, and purchase a new one for between £7.99 and £15.00. The same replacement mouse costs HMRC £68.99 ,because HMRC are forced by contract to purchase all supplies from Mapely's catalogue , and thats how much Mapely charge them for a mouse. They explain this cost by saying that the extra monies are paid as a service charge, even though servicing is rarely performed to save money (not that this makes any sense at all, but thats how they roll in any case). Its not just IT equipment either, they overcharge for their poor quality paper products, cheap pens which break within a day and cost more than a half decent biro equivalent pen, it goes on and on.
Now , if you think about it, Im sure you will realise that the scale of the HMRC operations up and down the nation is huge, and really think about how much paper, IT equipment, stationary, chairs, desk fans, desks and cabinets, and God knows what else such a huge organisation requires, you will see that the amount of money being spent , and wasted by HMRC due to this outrageous contract with Mapely must therefore be massive. Not only that, but because Mapely have such a terrible habit of evading tax on thier earnings, the HMRC will loose out again there, and so therefore will the tax payer. Oh and if that wasnt enough, Mapely bought the control of each HMRC site for a single pound per site, some of which cost millions to build, including purpose built training centres, and brand new data storage facilities.
Whats even worse than this, is that other government departments may well be in similar positions with other management firms . Information like this is hard to come by unless you happen to have some inside information. Its the only way to find out where to cast your gaze when searching for the rotten fruit spoiling the barrel.
I wish I had the right to publish all I know about this contract, but in order to validate my claims I would have to provide information which would see friends of mine in extremely hot water , so I cannot provide the evidence I possess for this. I can however let people know, and give them the choice of looking into it for themselves.
If the government eliminated wasteful contracts like this from its books, took out all the management companies and regained control over its spending on its basic supplies, that alone would save the taxpayer far more than the raft of measures they have instigated lately. They could eliminate potentialy tens of billions of pounds just by removing these cancerous parasitic contractors from the equation, and getting better prices for the millions of tonnes of paper and office products they use per annum.
Rather than do this, they prefer to make cuts in public spending, public sector jobs go as a result, public service suffers in reaction to that problem, and the whole country ends up sick as a parrot with no where to look for job security, for its next meal, for its very survival.
That is the problem at hand. We all know savings need making, but the government are not saving money in areas which would allow people a measure of normality, not saving money in a way which protects jobs (one assumes if they paid a more sensible price for thier supplies, they wouldnt have to fire as many people to pay the deficit down), they are not saving money in a way which promotes the future well being of the services which we need to run our nation. Instead they are paying off the big companies which have bought thier buildings, and just accepting the tax evasion and the daylight robbery that these big management firms are dealing out, loosing money TWICE on every purchase.
I ask you, is this the behaviour of a government that cares about peoples welfare and security ? Is this the behaviour of a government with the right priorities in terms of looking after civil servants, and the people they serve? Is this the behaviour of a government which has its thinking cap on about the best ways to solve our debt crisis? No , I dont think it is, and I do not believe that the cuts they have made in other areas are justified, or even CAN be justified, unless or until the parasitic management companies which are bleeding government departments dry , can be excised from the equation, and the boat loads of money saved has been recouped, and payed into the deficit reduction . Till then , other measures, measures which loose people thier jobs and destroy livelihoods and our public services should be immediately halted, until the full effect of solving the supply issue is utterly and completely known, and quantified.
Any other course of action shows disregard for the will of the people, and for the rights and peace of public sector workers.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

Cuts currently announced will account for a £7billion saving.
The Inland Revenue recently let Vodafone off with a £6billion tax bill.
www.thisismoney.co.uk...

This is the 'tip of the iceberg'.

Pretty straight forward in my book.

Without the Unions the working man would still be working in sweatshops for a pittance.
And that's where we are heading back to under the current administration.

Simplistic?
Yes, but true nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Never did fall for the party line "we are skint" , Take for instance the cold war era, It must have cost trillions in all those years to maintain our garrisons there (Germany), and all the monies saved thus far in trials and development projects, Imagine 24/7 AWACS cover and fighter interception costs alone would have been staggering and I'm not even going to go into are submarine fleet, The cost of running all this must have been in the trillion's over the years, So were did all that savings go. And this is defence alone, IMO

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
And now they will be trying to not only make this type of protest illegal, but also get rid of the unions themselves so they can have a clear road for any future "ideas"

The Chancellor has said he is as determined to fight "the forces of stagnation", including the unions, as he is to tackle the budget deficit. George Osborne told BBC News he vowed to reshape the British economy and to be "bold" promoting economic growth. But he accused the unions and Labour of standing in the way of efforts to get the economy moving again. The unions have refused to rule out co-ordinated strike action over cuts to public sector pensions.

"We have got to be as bold in promoting growth and removing barriers to business expansion, and fighting the forces of stagnation, as we have been in dealing with the deficit," he said.
But he said governments were being held back by people who oppose efforts to "create more competitive markets".

In the UK, the trade unions and opposition had opposed "controversial" changes to employment tribunals, he said, and were opposed to other "difficult" decisions aimed at promoting growth.

"I regard these people as the forces of stagnation, when we are trying to get the British economy competitive again, moving forward again."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Pile of old poop.. can't even think of something original to say so he remembers to say what he's been told/paid to say..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join