It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unions vow coordinated cuts action

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Unions vow coordinated cuts action

www.talktalk.co.uk

LONDON (Reuters) - Trade union leaders agreed on Friday to coordinate action, including staging possible strikes, in protest at the government's austerity measures, with public sector pension reform set to become a trigger for mass walkouts.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.news.yahoo.com
uk.reuters.com
news.sky.com
www.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
World Gripped By Anti-Government Riots; America Next?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Sorry DD but it looks like the UK is next...

Trade unions have announced plans to protest against the government...

This has been long over due by the trade unions.. they were supposedly making plans against the government several months ago, but I feel this has now been kick started by the -0.5% growth of the UK economy in the last three months of 2010.

This is breaking news and I am currently waiting for the full report to go live.. At the moment there is just a BBC breaking news title...

But it appears the governments solution to this problem is simple,.. make it illegal;

The government has not ruled out anti-strike laws, as trade union leaders decide whether to support co-ordinated industrial action against spending cuts.

www.bbc.co.uk...
I find it fascinating that the government can arrest and imprison everyone for going on strike after its suddenly decided to be illegal, yet the government can easily go to war illegaly.

The BBC has still not posted the full news report an hour after I began this thread but I did find the news on another site..
As soon as the BBC puts theirs up, I'll add a link to that too .

www.talktalk.co.uk

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I had to smile at the timing tho, with David Cameron sticking with 'Tough' recovery plan speech in Switzerland;
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Talking tough is not as good as acting tough and it seems there is going to be a lot of tough action going on in the Uk in the near future. We're already a lot of this in other parts of the world and I feel it is only going to get a lot worse.

Jobs going, food and fuel prices rising along with reports of heating fuel being stolen www.bbc.co.uk... and around 250 sure start childrens centres planned to be closed www.bbc.co.uk... the buck has to stop somewhere..

I am seeing and feeling a growing increase of peoples frustrations and anger is building. It can only get ugly before it gets any better.. and I hope it gets better for the right reasons and in the right way that works for everyone and not those in control...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
At last... it took them long enough,...

Union leaders have not ruled out co-ordinated industrial action over cuts to public sector pensions, following talks at the TUC. TUC General Secretary Brendan Barber said this was the issue on which the big unions were most united. But he vowed the campaign against "deep and rapid" spending cuts would go on, with a mass protest on 26 March.

.....the planned demonstration in London on 26 March - three days after Chancellor George Osborne's budget - will be "a huge event at which the British people will come together to show their opposition to the government's chosen course".

www.bbc.co.uk...

Some blame the labour government for overspending, others say it is the bankers being greedy and/or even the housing market.. They keep feeding us these excuses when the reality of it is that the entire world is under the influence of something much stronger and deeper and we are all feeling it.

somebody knows what's going on and why, but we are being given flim flam excuses as to what the problem is.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is a good thing. Certainly a lot saner than rioting in the streets.

At least the unions in the UK still seem to have some momentum and power of the people behind them.

As corrupt as some may claim they may be here in the U.S. I still view unions as a vital counterbalance for the people against the corporment because they give us a stronger voice and presence than a single vote can. When they killed the unions here...well you know what happened. People can deny that all they want but it's too much of a coincidence that unions had to go before they sold our our country. And they're still after them...no matter how they have to lie and disguise it or blame them for all our woes.
edit on 1/28/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I agree unions are vital, they must be kept small and local though...

seems that those in power know the protesting and strkes will come. they already have plans to stop the unions.
as if these protests or strikes achieve anything in the long run, time after time I see a large strike everyone is mad no trash gets picked up then when the crying is over a new day comes like nothing ever happened those same people who were striking are cleaning up their own mess, still in the same TAX prison.

so the only way for change will be by all the Citizens to come together and clean these Gov. buildings out of the old corrupt officials ALL of them.

edit on 1/28/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Its very simple, if there is ever a ban on strikes, then every union member in the nation will be given two options. Work on, with no protection from unfair dismissal, from poor treatment, and so on, or march in the streets in such numbers that the mob cannot be stopped by action by police or the military.
I would urge anyone caught between that rock, and that hard place to rise up, take to the streets, and make themselves heard regardless of the danger. Great people have said, and will say again that it is better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Funny also isnt it, that the only time in the last three decades , that ANYONE dared to mess with the right to strike, dared to stir up the tension between those who have too much , and those who have far to little, it was the bloody conservatives with thier holier than thou attitude , and no moral integrity what so ever, that messed with the hornets nest.
Im appalled that a strike ban can even be considered in a democratic nation.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Im appalled that a strike ban can even be considered in a democratic nation.

Well, they call it a democracy, but when the vast majority live under an umbrella of fear instilled through much of the society from schools to elderly care homes, you gotta wonder why people tend to stand up then sit down again.

We have the fear of losing our jobs, our homes, our possessions and possibly even being sent to prison which stuffs you up for certain visas for holidays etc..

Many people want some form of change, for the betterment of themselves and their children, yet the possibility of being locked up or struggling to house or feed your family is one that is deeply ingrained.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
At last The Unions seem to be awakening from the slumber they were in and are starting to lead the fight back against these completely unnecessary and ill intentioned cuts.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

Sorry DD but it looks like the UK is next...

Trade unions have announced plans to protest against the government...

This has been long over due by the trade unions.. they were supposedly making plans against the government several months ago, but I feel this has now been kick started by the -0.5% growth of the UK economy in the last three months of 2010.

This is breaking news and I am currently waiting for the full report to go live.. At the moment there is just a BBC breaking news title...

But it appears the governments solution to this problem is simple,.. make it illegal;

The government has not ruled out anti-strike laws, as trade union leaders decide whether to support co-ordinated industrial action against spending cuts.

www.bbc.co.uk...
I find it fascinating that the government can arrest and imprison everyone for going on strike after its suddenly decided to be illegal, yet the government can easily go to war illegaly.

The BBC has still not posted the full news report an hour after I began this thread but I did find the news on another site..
As soon as the BBC puts theirs up, I'll add a link to that too .

www.talktalk.co.uk

If the government make co-ordinated strikes or a national strike illegal then the whole country want to throw a national sickie on the same day.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Maybe we all should take a leaf out of the protestors books, in the middle east and rise up against the coalition government and demand a new general election.

One thing is for sure, if things continue the way it does. If we in the UK thought the Student Riots were bad enough, there will be riots ten times worse than previous.

I am intrigued though, councils are saying they are scrapped for cash, and are cutting staff levels. Yet they can spend thousands of council tax payers money on decorating thier offices, build fences to parks which no one wants or needs. It is a complete joke to say the least.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by keldas

Once again same old torrie Government, but only this time they have the Lib Dems as thier Poodles. Margaret Thatcher brought the Unions to thier Knees when she was in power. I can see the coalition Government doing the exact same thing.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by keldas

That's a brilliant way to protest... everyone call into work saying you're sick.. lol gotta love that one..

That is a supreme example of a peaceful protest.. and you can't get sacked for it either

Unfair dismissal if you do
would cost the companies a fortune in court fees and payouts

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Bare in mind employers have ways of finding out weither you are genuine sick or not. The you would not have a leg to stand on if they found out your were lying in the first place. Is it worth loosing your job over. When Jobs are scarce to come by now a days in the UK..

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

They should have been leading the fight from the beginning, when the Coalition Government spelled out its budget plans.

They should have come in force when the Students tution fees were being debated, they should have come out in force when the ELA allowances were being cut.

A little to late in ones opimion. But I will support them either way, if it brings down this current Government.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
Is it worth loosing your job over.

Is it worth keeping a job that helps tptb enslave you and yours for longer?

Hit them where it hurts.. in the pocket!

Nobody at work means that the entire country would come to a peaceful standstill for a day.. and the government and banks would be hit for millions an hour.. One part of a protest is about disruption to the normal events..

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

If you want to live out on the streets then that is your choice. Once you loose your job, loose your income, loose your house etc. The we will see if you make the same comments as you have previously.

And if you think I am controlled by those in power. I do not think so. I think for myself and make my own decisions. Noe one else does that for me.

Oh bring the country to a standstill for one day, and whom has to pick up the bill after its all done and dusted?

Us the Taxpayer once again!!!!
edit on 28-1-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Too late.. I already have..

Lost the business i had halfway around the world, could only afford to get as far as Frankfurt where I did spend time on the streets but now I'm back in the UK getting many things together and eventually organising another run to somewhere where i can and will start another, and hopefully better, business..but for me, it's not all about money or the fake idea of security.. I'm quite happy and can easily protect myself and my own.

I lost my business because of this so called recession..

Luckily, I'm able to use the current system to my advantage, but it's a shame i have to use this system at all.. But i will until I'm ready to move on

hope that answers your question

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Yes they should have been leading the fight from the start.

Unfortunately the unions themselves have believed the propoganda that they have been neutured and have no power or influence any more.
But, and I know it's a cliche, a union is only as strong as it's membership - if it's members are weak and brow beaten then so it will be.

After years of repressive and restrictive policies from a series of administrations, including disgracefully Labour governments, the unions are realising that they still have an important role to play and that they should be at the forefront of the fight against this governments drive to take this country back to Victorianesque times

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join