It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would-Be Suicide Bomber Killed by Unexpected SMS From Mobile Carrier

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Source: Wired

The would-be suicide bomber was planning to detonate a suicide belt bomb near Red Square, a plan that was foiled when her wireless carrier sent her an SMS while she was still at a safe house, setting off the bomb and killing her. The message reportedly wished her a Happy New Years, according to the report, which sourced the info from security forces in Russia. Cell phones are often used as makeshift detonators by terrorist and insurgent groups.

I found this article this morning. I thought that you folks might find it interesting that a terrorist was taken down prematurely by a random wireless carrier text message. Spam: 1, Terrorist: 0.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Yes, I just heard about this on the Glen Beck radio show this morning.

He will be talking about it soon.

Its a good thing that spam came through and saved lives from that nut job..

no 72 virgins for her...errr..ummm or whatever woman get.
edit on 28-1-2011 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
LOL? Happy New years? It's January 28.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Very interesting; however, one would hope that these cell-phone detonators only worked one way. If it detonated on an incoming SMS, whoever put it together wasn't very bright.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Saved lives? Really? Perhaps the security checkpoint might have caught this before it detonated and saved all the lives.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiizhan

this is so damn funny thank you for that

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k

Very interesting observation. And they found the phone in operational order or what here? lol

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Karma.
Got to love it.

I can imagine God sitting on his throne, in Heaven. With a blackberry in his hand, asking St. Peter, "how do you get the smiley face on the screen?"

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Why would a suicide bomber need a cell phone rather than a manual detonator? If cell phones are regularly used as detonators, then I think the military just found a way to prevent attacks....send out a SMS spam to all cell numbers every few minutes.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Why would a suicide bomber need a cell phone rather than a manual detonator? If cell phones are regularly used as detonators, then I think the military just found a way to prevent attacks....send out a SMS spam to all cell numbers every few minutes.

Would-be bombers tend to "chicken-out" at the last minute. The controller usually has a cell phone and calls the detonator number from a safe distance.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is why you never buy from ACME.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Q2IN2Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Well on 24, there was always an override method that was triggerable from afar so that if the suicide bomber wavered or backed down they'd have some "help" in fulfilling their mission.

(I see beezzer already covered this while I was typing! Sorry!) But whoever put this one together still wasn't that smart if they didn't anticipate the SMS thing...if that's even true.
edit on 1/28/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Well, according to the article on Wired, this happened on New Years Eve.

prematurely exploded a would-be suicide bomber’s vest bomb in Russia New Year’s Eve,

It is still rather amusing nonetheless.

Edit- Link (same as OP)www.wired.com...
edit on 1/28/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

link   
is this ATS? why are we so quick to believe all of a sudden despite the glaring inconsistencies in the OP's source? so if you were one of those involved in the investigation, how would you know about the cellphone having recieved an sms that triggered the explosion? is the cellphone still intact?

next, ask yourself. why are they telling us this?

link   
Its a great story, but I have to wonder how they actually knew that a SMS message triggered this? Sounds like pure speculation or totally made up.
edit on 28-1-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I remember the story. The cell phones company could track messages sent and delivered.
The phone itself was taken out. Remember, this is Russia we're talking about. They may have a differrent policy on privacy rights.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

so, if i'm in Russia and i smash my phone after receiving an sms message from my provider, they'll be able to confirm that my phone has been smashed after receiving their message? coz that's basically what happens when you explode an ied using a cellphone as detonator.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi

so, if i'm in Russia and i smash my phone after receiving an sms message from my provider, they'll be able to confirm that my phone has been smashed after receiving their message? coz that's basically what happens when you explode an ied using a cellphone as detonator.

If it has GPS, then maybe. Though the SIMS card could have survived, and from that, they could have traced the phone, it's messages, its content.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
How did they know it was set off by a text?

The KGB sent it. Are you guys forgetting that cell phones can be listened to even when turned off ?

'OK were all set...we leave in 5 minutes..."HAPPY NEW YEAR"'

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
and the SIM card might have been smashed as well, it could go either way. you're all free to believe what you want and i'll be the first to admit that i can be wrong on this but seeing as the article doesn't mention the SIM card specifically then i'm more of a mind to believe that the objective of the said article is to give second thoughts to anyone thinking about using a cellphone as a detonator to an IED.

or it could just be a case of sloppy journalism and stuff lost in translation.
edit on 1.28.11 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join