It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychological Effects of Terror Warnings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I am posting this in order to get your theories, perspectives, and any info you may have pertaining to the effects that government and media warnings have on the American public in general. It seems to me that psychologically that when warnings are posted to the public or a terror warning goes out, that it leaves the public with a certain imprint mentally that subjects them to fear. Constant talk about war and impending war has to effect the energy of a society negatively. Or as citizens, do we have such a short attention span that it is irrelevant to us? I feel this is an important topic with all of the hoopla with the impending terror warnigs before the election. When 9/11 happened, you could feel NYC change. It was almost eerie and you felt the somber, fearful mood of the city. Of course that was an overt physical act. But how does the thought of the possibility of danger effect the mind and in turn the things happening around us? Eg. increasing crime, horrifc acts, terroristic cults etc. I appreciate your input.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I am getting immune to the stupid 'warnings' now. Before they were very unnerving - but with each warning before each holiday... it's getting ridiculous! They (politicians and media) keep scaring the beegeezus out of us and then ... what? NUTTIN' HONEY!

Frankly, my feeling is now... if the terrorists are determined to 'get us' then they are going to do so. I'm tired of worrying about it.

If I croak, I croak.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
PsiEye, I am with you on this one, it makes people become numb.

Remeber the story of the wolf, thats how I see it. One day it may actually hapend and we will become victims of it.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOOR45
Psychological Effects of Terror Warnings.

Makes me question the abilities and motives of those we have elected to govern us.

It's not like there were no terrorists before 9/11, anyone would think that terrorism is something new in this world with the current level of hype and rhetoric.

When the villagers saw no wolf they sternly said, "Save your frightened song for when there is really something wrong! Don't cry 'wolf' when there is NO wolf!"
Aesop

[edit on 12-7-2004 by shanti23]

df1

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Preliminary figures show 43,220 people died in 2003 - the highest number since 1990 when 44,529 died in auto accidents and up slightly from the 42,815 deaths in 2002, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said...
www.sptimes.com...

We live in america where you are more likely to die in a car accident than from a terrorist attack. Every night the local news shows us pictures of mangled vehicles and bodies being carried away by ambulance. And yet we jump in our cars everyday. If you've been in a car accident, in just a matter of a few hours you are back behind the wheel of your latest death trap without batting eye.

Terror warnings... ha ha ha ha ha... Bush's fear mongering will amount to nothing, this is america home of the most fearless maniacs ever to grace the planet.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsiEye
I am getting immune to the stupid 'warnings' now. Before they were very unnerving - but with each warning before each holiday... it's getting ridiculous! They (politicians and media) keep scaring the beegeezus out of us and then ... what? NUTTIN' HONEY!

Frankly, my feeling is now... if the terrorists are determined to 'get us' then they are going to do so. I'm tired of worrying about it.

If I croak, I croak.

I agree that events in our world desensitize us. Df1, it is true that there are many deaths attributed to many other factors, as you say, car accidents. However, accidents are seen as a inevitable part of driving a car due to human error, environmetal conditions, alcohol, etc. These threats, though I feel they have become so frivolous, are not something you hop into and start the engine. Alot more factors go into this. The media has been bombarding the waves with these stories. After 9/11, you can't pay attention to every threat but you sure can't dismiss it. It would be hard to deny that the psychological effects of 9/11. If you look at the posts about Islam and terrorism, you can see how these events, coupled with miseducation about Islam and our enemy has created a vacuum where people are curious which direction our country is headed, better or worse. Add high unemployment, crime, poor education, poor medical coverage, etc and you have to question and ask yourself, where is this train headed and are we on the right track?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I also feel that when media broadcast certain events over and over, there are hints of programming or even subliminal suggestion. I think our culture promotes education primarily through television.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I can't possibly imagine any country with a chronic terror problem institute the kind of 'alert level' system we have today. I lived in London during the 80's and the city was used to terror, and the British people would have laughed if the government tried to institute such a cartoonish idea. The idiocy behind it is astounding. People should just exercise common sense and be alert at all times. But, aside from that... the US media generally oversensationalizes, having to cater to an incredibly apathetic and jaded viewing audience. I'm not saying that's everybody in America, but it's a large part of the viewing public. I think the fearmongering is more profit oriented than political. I expect it to continue regardless of whether it is Bush or Kerry in the White House next year.

-koji K.

[edit on 13-7-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
I can't possibly imagine any country with a chronic terror problem institute the kind of 'alert level' system we have today. I lived in London during the 80's and the city was used to terror, and the British people would have laughed if the government tried to institute such a cartoonish idea. The idiocy behind it is astounding. People should just exercise common sense and be alert at all times. But, aside from that... the US media generally oversensationalizes, having to cater to an incredibly apathetic and jaded viewing audience. I'm not saying that's everybody in America, but it's a large part of the viewing public. I think the fearmongering is more profit oriented than political. I expect it to continue regardless of whether it is Bush or Kerry in the White House next year.

-koji K.

[edit on 13-7-2004 by koji_K]

It is so sad but what you say is on track. Media caters to the public which fails to logically ask questions before indulging in what is being presented. This is the reason many movies here in the states are edited beyond belief. A four hour movie overseas gets knocked to 90 or 120 minutes here. The reason I read in a article, has to do with short attention spans and Americans lack of desire for dialogue. The terror warnings seem like a board game instead of a comprehensive system of conveying accurate information. Look how bad these color codes drove everybody crazy the first year. Tom ridge had to clean up his answers when the system was "accidently raised to a higher color. After awhile the citizens grow tired.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I do not agree with these terror warnings.

Most of these terror warnings are based on speculation, and have no foundation of credibility. Our intelligence, the CIA, has failed miserably in the so called "security of the nation". Who is to say that they do not fail in telling us that a terrorist attack will occur?

We have to address the consequences of these "terror elevation warnings", because society's mental health is at risk. We are basically living in fear, anxiety, stress, and paranoia. Studies indicate that this wholesomely affects a range of social aspects such as the individual, family, and the community. This is something that is also being addressed relative to the public and psychological health. Chronically elevated levels of stress threaten the immune system and can give rise to disruptive social, economic, and political choices------all the elites, lol

The media is filled with misinformation, and we are buying into it.

It is constantly;
"Well, a terrorist attack might occur this summer folks..
"Do you think a terrorist attacks might happen before or after elections? We'll tell you tonight on NBC 6 news..."
"Russia has established a terrorist threat warning about an attack that may occur in the US.."

We are constantly "at the edge" in respect to these so called "terrorist threats"...

I say we are mentally and emotionally affected by these terrorist threat levels..

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarian1
I do not agree with these terror warnings.

Most of these terror warnings are based on speculation, and have no foundation of credibility. Our intelligence, the CIA, has failed miserably in the so called "security of the nation". Who is to say that they do not fail in telling us that a terrorist attack will occur?

We have to address the consequences of these "terror elevation warnings", because society's mental health is at risk. We are basically living in fear, anxiety, stress, and paranoia. Studies indicate that this wholesomely affects a range of social aspects such as the individual, family, and the community. This is something that is also being addressed relative to the public and psychological health. Chronically elevated levels of stress threaten the immune system and can give rise to disruptive social, economic, and political choices------all the elites, lol

The media is filled with misinformation, and we are buying into it.

It is constantly;
"Well, a terrorist attack might occur this summer folks..
"Do you think a terrorist attacks might happen before or after elections? We'll tell you tonight on NBC 6 news..."
"Russia has established a terrorist threat warning about an attack that may occur in the US.."

We are constantly "at the edge" in respect to these so called "terrorist threats"...

I say we are mentally and emotionally affected by these terrorist threat levels..

Couldn't have said it better. I definitely see a breakdown in my immune system to the BS they promulgate to the masses.

top topics

join