It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass FBI raids target pro-WikiLeaks 'Operation Payback'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Mass FBI raids target pro-WikiLeaks 'Operation Payback'

blacklistednews.com

Following the arrest of five people in Britain in connection with the "Operation Payback" cyber-attacks in support of WikiLeaks, the FBI announced mass raids across the United States in connection with the case.

"FBI agents today executed more than 40 search warrants throughout the United States as part of an ongoing investigation into recent coordinated cyber attacks against major companies and organizations," a bureau press release states.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The so-called DDoS "attacks" are NOT attacks. They are a legal, peaceful protest - the equivalent of a sit-in - and a legitimate way of voicing civil protest.

"Anonymous has, for now, found this new way of voicing civil protest in the form of the DDoS, or Distributed Denial of Service, attack."

"Anonymous" noted that, unlike hacking, DDoS attacks do not involve "unauthorized access to a computer or network." Evgeny Morozov, a visiting scholar at Stanford University, compared DDoS attacks to a digital sit-in. "Both aim at briefly disrupting a service or an institution in order to make a point," he said. "As long as we don't criminalize all sit-ins, I don't think we should aim at criminalizing all DDoS."

"It is clear then, that arresting somebody for taking part in a DDoS attack is exactly like arresting somebody for attending a peaceful demonstration in their hometown,"

We still have our civil rights under law. If we let "them" take away Wikileaks rights, and Wikileaks' supporters rights, we're letting them take away our own rights too.

blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Blatant abuse of power....again. It seems all too common these days. Everyday I read new cases like this and everyday the number of these I read is increasing. It won't be long before these sorts of things are common practise and most people will be under lock and key in some sense.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Put like that it sounds right..
I will add though that I think Julian Assange spoke out against this.?...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Put like that it sounds right..

It does, doesn't it?

I will add though that I think Julian Assange spoke out against this.?...

Not sure. Might have been posturing if he did. ...Do you have a link? reference?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Notice how all of the SHTF after it was announced that the banks were next on the hit list?
Diplomatic cables...ho-hum.
Internal banking documents? Set out the honey traps and call in the FBI!

Funny how that works.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Okandetre
Blatant abuse of power....again. It seems all too common these days. Everyday I read new cases like this and everyday the number of these I read is increasing. It won't be long before these sorts of things are common practise and most people will be under lock and key in some sense.

A oppressive police state is born.

They are abusing thier position and loving it. How is this an attack? Who is harmed? Can they prove thier were people harmed?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I think Mr Assange spoke out against the DDoS attacks because he didnt want good people getting arrested for supporting freedom of speech. He knows that governments like to protect the bottom line of thier big companies , far more than they support the freedom of speech and freedom of information within the confines of thier borders.
I would have thought that Mr Assange would prefer that his supporters stayed out of jail , and out of harms way.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Operation Payback is a joke because you don't excercise your "freedom of speech" by DOS attacks against big companies or anyone else. That is illegal and if isnt it should be. Yes I hate some companies, especially the big banks, but I am pretty sure there are better ways to voice discontent.

Wikileaks has promised lots of goodies but so far they have delivered very little and I beginning to wonder if it wasn't *controlled opposition* to begin with. They are handling a lot of mini crisis wrong and the governments don't even seem concerned...yeah ok a few official comments and "suprise" sex charges from an american agent.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Internal banking documents? Set out the honey traps and call in the FBI!

Funny how that works.

Uh huh. Very funny. Makes it clear who's calling the shots, too.

top topics

join