It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Biology Teachers in U.S. Reluctant to Endorse Evolution in Class, Study Finds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Agreed with the other posters, there is no merit in saying that 'both' sides of the discussion should be taught...there are no two sides, creationism relies purely on faith and is not science...it would be no different than me telling kids in a biology class that babies are dropped off by storks. I think much of the problem we see here is that many scientists 'debate' creationists(if you could call it debating) and that somehow makes people think that they are on an equal platform to each other or at the very least worthy of some consideration. Creationism is complete and utter hogwash and should be kept in the church.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by maskfan
reply to post by blamethegreys

I agree that there should be an unbiased study of religions presented in schools, as a subject of its own, however what I don't agree with is that religious doctrine be presented as fact (or alternative fact) alongside other lessons.

Thank You!!! It's great to get a well crafted, good-spirited response in a debate on (potentially) inflammatory subjects! Not enough of your caliber to go around these days!

Well, we are pretty much in total agreement then. I didn't really specify my thoughts on creation-teaching...I guess the idea of conceptual study auto-dismissed the idea of creation presented as fact. We are also on the same page about the amount of religion needed. Understanding basics of religion, applied to the concept of society, enhances the understanding of many aspects of human history: What we did, why we did it, etc. But finally, you hit the nail on the head:

It isn't necessarly a good use of peoples time to force 'secular' religious studies classes on all students as a madatory experience. Equally schools should not be looking to replace the churches in regads to teaching active spirituality to their students, after all that is what the temples are for.

edit on 3-2-2011 by blamethegreys because: two little letters I omitted make me look more smarterer.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join