It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skateistan in Pictures: Skateboarding in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I just wanted to post this, to show that in the mids of all the war and suffering. Kids have picked up skateboarding, and are doing very well as seen in the picture's

I am happy that these kids have something on their mind, lets hope that they learn more tricks via the internet, and can join international contest around the world.
Maybe the pro skaters, should put up a foundation for the middle east skaters.

Hope that the can one day skate in freedom, when the corrupt leaders will be removed.

(This post is entirely made to let some good news come out of the middle east)

link to the pictures, and OS (stumbled upon)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The seed has been planted....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

indeed

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Wow, nice post. S + F for you my friend.
Have loved skateboarding all my life, and those pictures are awesome.

This one is nice.

edit on 28/1/2011 by Hazz-14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazz-14

I actually got the chills when i saw them. I can do the kickflip, but never had the guts to jump of a stairway like the pic you posted.
I hope the world picks up on this(skateworld), and do something. Like going there to skate with them, or build them parks, ore let them come over to learn ore compete in contests.
I think for those kids, skateboarding is the same as what our western people drink their beers for. Get out or reality.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

That stairway looks so sketchy too, narrow and bumpy.
A lot of people don't realize, but skateboarding is a mental sport as well as physical. It is a very good way to relieve stress as it takes your mind into another zone and you forget about all worries.
That is until you bail of course.

But in all seriousness, I personally feel that skateboarding is one of, if not, "the" hardest sport to learn in the world. It takes years and I mean years to perfect.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazz-14

Yes i know. The first time that i went down a ramp was after 2years skateboarding. ( i was a real chicken for pain)

But indeed the stairway on the pic is even more dangerous. When you land an your wheel lands behind an stone edge, you have to be pretty a real time thinker. You just can not land like bam and role on

Its therapy for the kids, maybe that's why they excel in skill over there. They loose themselves on a good addiction
edit on 28-1-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
great to see fellow skaters around the world !!!

Let's hope a few of the teams / brands get out there soon and mix it up with them

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazz-14

agreed, ive been skatin forever and im not even close to where i'd like to be skill wise.

I started snowboarding though and skating was never the same....

man i wanna go snowboarding

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
we destroy their homes and replace them with skateboards, nice work

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
skate boarding suicide bombers coming to a city near you

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Bike riders have been doing it too...

bmx.transworld.net...

www.facebook.com...

sports.espn.go.com...

www.youtube.com...

bmx.transworld.net...

Out of everything we got to see and do, what was the best/most fun/most memorable?

For me it was the Ziggurat of Ur. I had done a lot of reading about it and never in one million years would I have thought I would have a chance to stand on it. It used to be under U.S. control, but we gave it back to the Iraqis earlier this year. It would cost over a million dollars as a civilian [to go see it]. It meant a lot to me because I am a big believer in aliens. The Ziggurat has historically been associated with ancient aliens. Search it online...

Do bikers and skaters still 'have beef' in persia?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Do bikers and skaters still 'have beef' in persia?

I don't think they have "beef" with each other, but I do think skaters and bikers should have separate spots/parks to use. It's pretty hard to skate when bikers are at the same place as you as your always looking around and worrying where they are, and I imagine it's exactly the same for them. Also, the collisions ain't that nice.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
First it's going to be skating, then hard rock, then punk rock, then pop, then Coogi, then Jimmy choos, then Burberry, then we're there overnight, and BAM! Amerikastan.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Hell yeah!!!! I've been skating for the past 11 years and its nice to see people all around the world taking it up!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Skate boarding in sandals... That's rough.. Tony Hawk or some pro skater needs to do a benefit "Shoes for Shiites" or something like that!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I've been a skater all my life. Since 1974...

We have 100 pairs of skate shoes to donate to Skatistan - even met up with the Scandinavian dude who works with them,, but I don't have the money to post them!

Don't worry, we shall sort it out!

top topics

join