It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their academic results

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm sensing by these posts that many of you are being more than a bit naive. What is being done is absolutely nothing less than racial segregation.

Imposing racial segregation for whatever list of noble reasons does not magically transform it into something else.

Claiming that it is an 'experiment' for the purpose of increasing the level of academic achievement does not make it any less racial segregation.

By employing a tiny bit of common sense we can see that academic achievement is in fact a false argument by asking some simple questions... Has not this 'experiment' been done before? Are there no schools in the united states that are all black? Were the all black schools prior to desegregation matching the academic achievement of the all white schools?

No, when you use a little bit of common sense it is very clear that there certainly are schools where all of the students are black, and there certainly are schools that were all black before desegregation - in fact it was the norm.

No, I think that this 'experiment' has probably been done more than any other 'experiment' on the face of the Earth. In fact we actually have an entire continent named Africa where I'm sure the extreme majority of schools are composed of an all black student population. Are they doing as well academically there?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
There was a very intresting documentary on race and intelligence by BBC News correspondent Rageh Omaar.

Athough the evidence indicates that there are differences in IQ between races, when he digs down into why, it all comes down to enviroment and culture.

www.youtube.com...

In the end it concludes no race has a natural superior intelligence over another.

I'm sorry i can't locate the first few parts, but it is still worth a watch.

edit on 28-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
There was a very intresting documentary on race and intelligence by BBC News correspondent Rageh Omaar.

Athough the evidence indicates that there are differences in IQ between races, when he digs down into why, it all comes down to enviroment and culture.

www.youtube.com...

In the end it concludes no race has a natural superior intelligence over another.

I'm sorry i can't locate the first few parts, but it is still worth a watch.

edit on 28-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

I'm sure if it came to any other conclusion we would never have heard of the documentary because they would never had aired it.

It seems to me in the case of the OP the only thing that was different was race. Both groups of students went to the same school, had the same teachers and equipment, and presumably came from similar socioeconomic backgrounds as they all live in the same neighborhood that the school serves. Same lunch program, same athletics, same opportunities, and no indications of favoritism.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This is so stupid even if they do get better academic results. They should be learning how to get good results in with all the other students. The problem is black students don't want to interact too much with the other students, at least at my school. The good will the general student body has towards black students will be affected if they start segregation. Reason being students don't see a race distinction, but if the school enforces that will be the case.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
This is so stupid even if they do get better academic results. They should be learning how to get good results in with all the other students. The problem is black students don't want to interact too much with the other students, at least at my school. The good will the general student body has towards black students will be affected if they start segregation. Reason being students don't see a race distinction, but if the school enforces that will be the case.

I think you are very correct, the intention stated is clearly to hide the segregation. I do think it's interesting that the same people who would encourage integration seem to have become so baffled by the lack of academic performance of the black students that they now seem to be turning a blind eye to segregation itself in the hope that this will magically raise the scores of the integrated black students.
edit on 28-1-2011 by EssenSieMich because: sp

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Hey this story made it to the Hannity show tonight... I'm surprised nobody seems to be interested here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join