It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their academic results

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their academic results

www.dailymail.co.uk

Bill Jimenez said the school noticed that black students were not performing as well as other students, and that research had shown that same-race classes with strong same-race role models led to better academic results.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Apparently they are claiming that black students seem to perform better academically when separated from students of other races.

If I am not mistaken this appears to violate the principle of full integration. I do not recall in the past the Federal Government caring whether or not segregation may be to the benefit of any particular race of students, only that desegregation be done.

If studies could be shown that white children perform better academically when separated from other races, do you think the school district would do that too? Well at the risk of sounding cynical, I suspect that they would not.

Surely the cultural benefits these black students receive as a result of being exposed to the white students far outweighs any academic consideration they should have. Academics aren't really anything more than culturally biased scores on tests now anyway, aren't they?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-1-2011 by EssenSieMich because: sp

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It's an experiment based on facts and data. That's all it is. If it fails, oh well. If it succeeds, then some kids will do better at school. At least someone is trying something different. I have to wonder if you read the whole article.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I can see why this seems wrong because of America's history with segregation, but if there is legitimate evidence that scores improve, then why not try it? Although these sorts of studies always come with caveats. Did students score better because teachers scored the relatively to each other, so that they scored relatively higher? Were grades curved? What specific sub-topics were being studied? Was there a cultural bias?

When it comes to education you gotta do what works.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayTee
It's an experiment based on facts and data. That's all it is. If it fails, oh well. If it succeeds, then some kids will do better at school. At least someone is trying something different. I have to wonder if you read the whole article.

Wonder no more JayTee - Yes, I have read the whole article.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by schlub

Oh no no, it's not about what works. It's about socialization, not academics.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

I thought that you were reacting to the title more than the content and that's why I was wondering. Thanks for clearing that up. In regard to the article; it's not a complete segregation. If it were a complete segregation more along the lines of how it was in the past, I'd be quite mad that something like this still happens. Since it's an experiment to see if grades can be raised just by changing the environment a little bit then I think it should at least be tried.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Lol, it's because they cheat. Trust me

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
it's just an experiment.

if it fails, it means nothing and that they were trying something at least.

if it succeeds, then that's good for those students.

but even if it does succeed, it doesn't mean we will start segregating students. it would be up to the students to decide who they studied with. sure it all sounds really superficial on the outside, but i really don't think it will harm anyone, nor is it the intention.

but yeah it sounds weird.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

eish....... Racasizm... How!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Cybertron

Not really, just saying, I'm mixed, and I attended a 96% black school, I already know how it goes down. They do better because the other races are hard to be-friend and become a cheat buddy. Now, not saying that black students are uneducated or anything, most just are lazy when it comes to school, most of them, due to their parents. I had good parents so I was the one people would cheat off of. I didn't care as long as they were smart enough not to say anything while cheating. Some are just lazy AND don't know how to cheat.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

You get stupid whites just as much as blacks,
Your intellect is not in the colour of your skin,

I know Black guys who are scientists and i know white guys who are dumb as hell,

Its not skin colour its how your brought up..........

I am white by the way, and i am in no way a racist and i dont stand for racism,
We are human beings, why not act like it instead of deviding people into groups....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Forget about integration, this has nothing to do with integration, this is about the truth and about result.

If the black population do not produce positive result in mixed communities, then separate them. Get them out of the ghettos using any means necessary.

Here in New Zealand, Maoris are facing the same situation African American are facing. From my own personal experience, I have noticed, that in the North where Maoris are isolated amongst their own, they produce positive results. They hold on to their own culture, and at the same time have the ability to focus on their studies. They have learned their own language very well, and they have gained self respect and have high confidence.

Isolated Maoris are mostly in politics and mostly have high qualification.

Why is this? Because they have lost their identity just like African Americans. How can they gain their identity back? By being among their own kind. If you don't know yourself in this life, you are lost, no one can deny that.

If you do deny it, you will make it to no where in this life.

I'm talking from experience.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I understand what you mean. I'm not racist by no means myself. Sorry if it came off as racist. It's really not though, I just know what it is.

Edit: Let me say I might be a little naive right now thinking I know how most black students in different areas react. I safely speak for the area I'm in though. The mentally of my environment is just not what you think it is, and because of my lack of travel, I think that most in different areas are the same. There confession

edit on 28-1-2011 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr

I understand what you mean. I'm not racist by no means myself. Sorry if it came off as racist. It's really not though, I just know what it is.

Ye no worries just explaining it all starts at home and how your brought up.

Im all for equality, and peace full on...

And yes every nation adapts in different ways,
But with our mixed countries im sure weve gone past race and colour an who is the right God or atleast like 45% us has anyway, for the rest of the people please stop clinging on the old ways.... We evolve to a human race. :d

Sorry again if i came off a bit judgemental.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
It's an experiment to try and raise test scores. That's all well and good, and at least they're trying something, but this is really only a hair shy of "black students tend to learn better with students of their own race" period and re-segregation by my estimation. I don't think that will come out of this, but it is uncomfortably close for my taste.

A better option might be to separate kids out who come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and/or single-parent families. There's a distinct correlation between those two things and lowered academic achievement, gang membership, and other deleterious things.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Really I think ALL children would do better in a REAL Montessori educational environment with AMI or AMS trained teachers, especially if the foundation years are Montessori. Parents would benefit too - society would benefit by helping children to be independent right from the start.

Public School in Florida where I live is a mess, they teach to test period - end of story dot.
Now they want to institute a policy where they grade the parents of 1-3 graders.
I removed my son from public school after volunteering in an area where I could not be seen, they forgot I was there and I heard these teachers screaming and verbally abusing these kids and I am not exagerating.
I was in shock. It is all about the test.

When I removed my son they were quite worried I would say something negative. I did not. I live in a smallish town and I am new - I have no idea who is realted to whom. I told them I just choose to put my son back into Montessori where he had been in preschool. My son was so upset by his public school experience he told the doctor who wanted me to report them about this abusive situation.

Once again, this is a small town - so no, I want to report but I have learned from reality.
I want to say that it was obvious that children from disadvantaged homes had it the hardest in public school. Teachers sense this I believe and dictate more wrath to those children who have parents that won't get involved or speak up. It is very depressing to see young children treated in such a manner. In the area in which I live most of these children do have black skin. So hard to see the cycle is still perpetuated. It makes me sick and I am a middle aged white woman. Not much has changed since I was in school many years ago.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This just sounds like cooked up stats to get ppl to think segregation is good, when all they want is no blacks. Trying to get the black community to support the idea themselves.

Next we know we'll have totally segregated schools.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
They tried something like this at my kids' school last year. Just in the seventh grade, they separated the boys and girls into separate classes. It was intended to see if they would perform better without distractions. A few parents were upset by this, but nobody cried foul, and at the end of the year it was decided not to renew the practice. In our school, gender segregation didn't seem to help. No harm done.

I see this as the same thing, except that the racial separation has the potential to create a racial divide. IMO there is a far greater potential to improve the performance of the students, and that is an important goal.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I think the real racists in this thread are the people who aren't willing to try something new that would allow kids of any color to succeed. You would rather keep them down by doing things the same old ways.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join