It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education Wont Create Jobs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Education Cant Bring Jobs

Well here in canada we had a debate on when or can Education bring or create jobs? alot of people here say no
Its a interesting debate i thought posting this here will give you an idea what has obama is doing with that similar plan, but it wont work it doesn't work here in canada.

Looks like Obamas speech writer sure likes stealing ideas that weren't American first.

Well enjoy the reading.

Heres an interesting quote from the comment section

We are hiring people from India to do the work because there are too few Canadians qualified to do the job.

edit on 28-1-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
supply and demands creates jobs, education only makes them simpler.

now that i read the OP, India has a high demand for jobs, your being sold out. FIGHT![
edit on 28-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Education should have nothing to do with money. Once it has, you'd better stop dead in your tracks or your going to have one hell of a depressing life.

On the note of "dose it create jobs"....the majority of jobs today are pointless. Meaning, with a different system, they can easily become obsolete. That's bad, stupid, and once again, it will lead us all down a road with no freedom, and no innovation or real education.
edit on 28-1-2011 by gandhi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Actually, resources create jobs... The better managed, the more jobs.

Resources and resources alone. It begins with Food production.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Let's break it down:

The economy is composed of businesses and government
The government and businesses are controlled by the Elite & The Federal Reserve (in US)
The Elite & Fed Reserve dictate the stock market and the economy

Education buys you a resume to get a job
If the stock market and economy go downhill, then so do jobs

That said, having an education does not create jobs, the governments and Elite do because they control the economy!

However, if you are looking in terms of educational institutes, then yes, education does create jobs. How? Students pay tuition so that the university (a business) can make money and keep their profs employed.

Therefore, the best education available is SELF-EDUCATION. Be aware of what you know and what opportunities are available. If no employment opportunities become available, then become self-employed and run a business!

Oh! Oh! Oh! and the whole cycle repeats itself. See above for the cycle overview.

edit on 28-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added comment

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I couldn't agree more with you well i mean i agree with you

Therefore, the best education available is SELF-EDUCATION. Be aware of what you know and what opportunities are available. If no employment opportunities become available, then become self-employed and run a business!

I thought bringing the article would bring an interesting debate.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MavRck
Actually, resources create jobs... The better managed, the more jobs.

Resources and resources alone. It begins with Food production.

Let's analyze what a resource is....a resource can be people, raw materials used to produce inventory, capital (such as money, equipment, vehicles, buildings, and other assets), knowledge (capital and learned knowledge), and pretty much anything that puts money into the business's pocket is called a resource.

So resources can be wasted or they can be utilized efficiently. Bottom line then becomes excellent management of resources DOES NOT create jobs...it creates PROFITS for the owners and stakeholders of the business.

Again, efficient resources management creates profits, not jobs.

Now that profits are created, the Elite & Federal Reserve make money. In which they control the economy (through interest rates and stock markets, etc...). Just because businesses make profits does not mean they will hire people as they want to keep their employment costs down. In fact, they would rather downsize to become more efficient which in turn jobs get lost. In some cases, these businesses will outsource to international markets where labour is cheaper.

When this happens, the GDP & GNP go down, and the economy suffers. Inflation hits, costs rise, and people's living standards become affected.

Then the cycle as above repeats itself (see my earlier post)

Just to add to this post, please read the following article which I just found that backs up my claim:

Note to Dr. Ignatieff: education does not create jobs

www.thevolunteer.ca...

The part that really has me scratching my head is this idea that “investing” in post-secondary education will create jobs. I have often heard that there is a need for more skilled labour, but the jobs that need that labour already exist. They are just waiting to be filled. But can having a higher education actually create a job?

Consider someone who has just graduated from an engineering school. They are interested in getting into the mining industry. Will then a job in the mining industry spontaneously appear to accommodate this desire? Of course not. For that job to exist someone has to invest the money to develop the resource.

You can have all the expert engineers in the world but if no capitalist is willing to take a financial risk then they will all be working at Wendy’s.

edit on 28-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added extra note

edit on 28-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added quote

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Education Cant Bring Jobs

Well here in canada we had a debate on when or can Education bring or create jobs? alot of people here say no
Its a interesting debate i thought posting this here will give you an idea what has obama is doing with that similar plan, but it wont work it doesn't work here in canada.

Education, when it includes training in the art of critical thinking, will create people who are capable of understanding politicians. These "civil servants" therefore stand a lessened chance of remaining in office. Later, when the educated masses have "cleaned house" in Ottawa, the qualify of life for Canadians will go up.
edit on 28-1-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

Education, when it includes training in the art of critical thinking, will create people who are capable of understanding politicians. These "civil servants" therefore stand a lessened chance of remaining in office. Later, when the educated masses have "cleaned house" in Ottawa, the qualify of life for Canadians will go up.

By the way, anything that happens economically in the US has an influence what goes on up here in Canada. For ex) the real estate market bubble.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Education by itself does not create jobs. It will help illuminate ones mind..to perform for jobs.

The more streamlined an educational course is tailored to, the more better a 'qualified' person will be and relevant to his industry of choice, be it a mechanic or an engineering requirement from a society's progress needs.

Education by itself helps us to be more aware of our world, of what happened in our past, the discoveries we mankind made, and by teaching critically thinking, how we can use our free will and knowledge to improve further upon such mistakes or discoveries.

It was never meant to be a end all to knowledge, but an open path to even more discoveries and yet to be discovered issues on our journey of life that we had been given, to open up even more paths for future generations as our past generations had done for us. There is still so much more that awaits us, humanity, if given the chance...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Education is a matter of national pride. Education by itself will not create jobs. America and Canada probably now have a crisis of overproduction when it comes to graduates. If you have postgraduates driving cabs for a living as a career something is wrong.

I think we are seeing someone hoping to boost the economy by pushing the university system which is run as a business.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

We are hiring people from India to do the work because there are too few Canadians qualified to do the job.

There is no differences between the Canadian and the Indian. If there is, it is the Canadian that gets a more well rounded education compared to the Indian.

The only reason why Indians or even chinese are hired is simply because they are CHEAPER. The corporations will throw all sorts of lame excuses, but they only justify their own wallets. They would rather do biz with slave traders or nations that do not care a hoot about human rights so long as their wallets get fat, even if they themselves came and grown from the benefits of a caring society, only now corrupted by obscene greed.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
From the UK, my perspective is this drive for more and more education only helps keep people off the unemployment statistics for longer. If say you have 5000 unemployed people in an area and 2000 vacancies, the only thing education will do is alter the balance of which of those 5000 gets a job. There will still only be 2000 vacancies. In my locality, those vacancies are likely to be low end minimum wage jobs - and a lot of people can get more on unemployment. Plus with a better education, they are going to be more unlikely to accept them anyway!
Education will only help if it is 'skills training' - targeting specific skills shortages.

edit on 28-1-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
well one way people put it is that the high paying jobs which typically require a good education are gone forever

you still have the chance but it just became like 10x more competitive in finding it

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Most of the universities are cutting programs and raising tuition here. They are pushing student loans and higher education like crazy. It is laughbale yeah go into debt to get a degree so you can be unemployed when you get done... Honestly the stupidity in this country is just astounding.

My state just announced they are more broke then they thought. So they are cutting health and welfare and those folks are crying like crazy. The Irony is they are doing it in a newly renovated capital building with marble floors and columns they spent 3 years on and millions of dollars.

But will they consider downsizing prisons and releasing people who are in there for victimless crimes like drugs and non-violent offenders. Reducing police forces by removing victimless crimes from the books etc. No of course not they want to spend more on that. they just keep borrowing monopoly money and writing worthless bonds increasing the deficit just like the feds... it is insanity and they will continue till it crashes and burns

I feel like a pilgrim in an unholy land.... I can't wait for it all to collapse but it just keeps dragging on...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Most people think thats its against what they know or their country to learn other cultures/languages, we are far, far behind. Yet the ego of the typical American cannot be ignored. We lose what we have due to ignorance. We refuse to see what is in front of us.

This isn't even serious education to know that we have fallen behind in a way that our grandchildren couldn't catch up to. We are in trouble and have been for some time, yet were #1.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Yeah, right. Give us a pick ax and a mine, or an oil well and a drill and you'll see what we can do without any schooling. Without formal education we make excellent soldiers...not officers, but front lines, die first- soldiers.
Lord knows- we always need more of them.

No offense but, just because something does not work for the Canadians does not mean it won't work in the US.
We aren't Canadians.

Education won't create jobs (except for teachers) but educated people will create innovation, invention, ideas and jobs.

I have to laugh my head off at a party that is firmly planted in opposition to education and healthcare but will fight for the right to wage a war...any war.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

For that to be true, the economy has to be a part of the equation. I agree that people are hired based on their skill set. The point is that skills don't CREATE jobs. People themselves create jobs. In fact, small businesses are the ones who hire most people...businesses which were started by Entrepreneurs.

If the economy is good, then people get hired. Anyone can work at Walmart (for example). You can be disabled and get a job with them anytime. Why? Because products it sells are all imported from China (where labour and material are cheap...hence why countries export all recyclable material to China). Also because it doesn't take an MBA to be a door greeter at a mere minimum wage rate.

There are plenty of jobs out there for everyone. Not many people will work for a wage/salary that they don't believe is not equivalent with their educational background. For those people who have nothing to lose they will take any job that comes their way because someone has to put food on the table. For those who have gained specialized skills through education will be the ones unemployed because they wait around until a job for their trained position opens up. Then you get into forgone opportunity costs because instead of waiting for a job to open up, these people pick their butts waiting around and praying to god the economic circumstances provide opportunities.

I am just finishing my university degree and majoring in accounting. However, last year I created a hedge-trimming company so that I can pay off my tuition. In fact I also hired 3 people to work for me. With my education and skill set I was able to create employment. On the other hand there are more accounting grads available than there are position open within firms. Competition for these positions are tough to get into. You have to fight and network your way into a firm to get hired. It then becomes not what you know, rather it's WHO you know.

So does education create jobs? It can if you are the one to start a proprietorship and hire some people. Getting an education doesn't guarantee you will get a job, or even a career. Many people often switch their careers or train for something new throughout their lifetime. What does create jobs is government. Governments can stimulate economic activity. In fact, that is their job to do so. If they don't do their job, you get a problem occurring within the country's infrastructure. That creates an economic problem. Confidence in that market goes down due to political instability, and all businesses suffer. In fact, foreign investments by international firms won't bring in their businesses to offer employment because of this (and other factors).

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Education won't create jobs (except for teachers) but educated people will create innovation, invention, ideas and jobs.

I agree with your post, but I have to mention that you don't have to have an education to be innovative. In fact most wealthy people learned to do things through self-education outside of the education system and through experience by trial and error.

I did hear a famous person once say that those who don't go through the education system to be employed might as well join the military. So if you aren't working for society, you are working in the military instead. I'll try to find the exact quote to back this up.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Most people think thats its against what they know or their country to learn other cultures/languages, we are far, far behind. Yet the ego of the typical American cannot be ignored. We lose what we have due to ignorance. We refuse to see what is in front of us.

This isn't even serious education to know that we have fallen behind in a way that our grandchildren couldn't catch up to. We are in trouble and have been for some time, yet were #1.

Peace, NRE.

This is a great point. I have to agree. We seem to consider education such as arts and languages elitist studies and somehow unAmerican. As if all of a sudden we are going to turn into snobs if we get too smart.
It is insanity. I watched one of the right wings news program ask the question..."Would you make your child study Mandarin in school?"
Already..the way they ASK THE QUESTION, "would you MAKE your child" is leading and set up for a rejection of the idea by both parents and students.
Leading people to believe education is a waste of time borders on criminal. It jeapordizes, threatens, the quality of the individuals life - IF they should ever listen and believe the bs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join