It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Admits To Causing Mass Bird Death With Poison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

At least one of the mysterious mass wildlife deaths of the past month has a (bizarre) explanation. The USDA acknowledged that hundreds of birds in South Dakota were poisoned as part of a massive and longstanding government bird-killing operation, normally kept under wraps, called Bye Bye Blackbird. The Christian Science Monitor sheds some light:

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) took responsibility for hundreds of dead starlings that were found on the ground and frozen in trees in a Yankton, S.D., park on Monday.

The USDA’s Wildlife Services Program, which contracts with farmers for bird control, said it used an avicide poison called DRC-1339 to cull a roost of 5,000 birds that were defecating on a farmer’s cattle feed across the state line in Nebraska. But officials said the agency had nothing to do with large and dense recent bird kills in Arkansas and Louisiana.

Nevertheless, the USDA’s role in the South Dakota bird deaths puts a focus on a little-known government bird-control program that began in the 1960s under the name of Bye Bye Blackbird, which eventually became part of the USDA and was housed in the late ’60s at a NASA facility. In 2009, USDA agents euthanized more than 4 million red-winged blackbirds, starlings, cowbirds, and grackles, primarily using pesticides that the government says are not harmful to pets or humans.

In addition to the USDA program, a so-called depredation order from the US Fish and Wildlife Service allows blackbirds, grackles, and starlings to be killed by anyone who says they pose health risks or cause economic damage. Though a permit is needed in some instances, the order is largely intended to cut through red tape for farmers, who often employ private contractors to kill the birds and do not need to report their bird culls to any authority.

“Every winter, there’s massive and purposeful kills of these blackbirds,” says Greg Butcher, the bird conservation director at the National Audubon Society. “These guys are professionals, and they don’t want to advertise their work. They like to work fast, efficiently, and out of sight.”

source: Disinfo.com

Im sorry if this is old news, can't find it in the search bar. USDA is also involved with the bee extinction! So fake...or a cover-up?
edit on 28-1-2011 by HazyChestNutz because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to
make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

edit on 28/1/11 by argentus because: added ex tags to entire OP

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HazyChestNutz

We knew they had done it before, not really that surprised to see this. Thanks for the update S+F

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by HazyChestNutz

Thanks for posting this! I've been trying to figure out what's been behind this.

Of course there are lots of other kinds of mysterious animal deaths lately.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I thought that poison was one of the first things they tested the birds for, and no poisons were found.

articles.mercola.com...

At first I couldn't believe I was reading what I was reading. I thought, surely I must have misunderstood something. But no, it appears as though the official explanation to the Arkansas bird deaths is simply this: they died from blunt-force trauma. Tests for poisoning were negative. Case closed.

The official stance is that this year's fireworks sent the birds into a never-before-heard-of panic, causing them to fly into cars, homes, and possibly straight into the ground. What this explanation ignores, however, is the fact that people started reporting the birds littering the streets around 11.30 pm, and on New Year's Eve fireworks typically do not begin until the strike of midnight. It also ignores the fact that this does not appear to have happened before, even though the US celebrates both New Year's and Independence Day with massive fireworks displays across the nation every year.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The USDA couldn't possibly have anything to do in the other countries this occurred in...

new topics

top topics

join