It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel like I'm going to be sick!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

If anything a monitor would have more of an effect on the eyes/brain than a tv...

Anyway, we're off topic here.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Not a kids show.

No kidding! But OMG!

...rated TV-14...

I don't understand how it is even appropriate for that age?

You really had to see this.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I agree with Mav entirely... Social programming is far more damaging than reality.

That may be hard to understand.

I only disbelieved because I took it literally. I've been out of touch with TV drama and prefer to watch gruesome murder scenes online. It's kind of like the thrill of watching something unpleasant just for the sake of it being unpleasant. The Japanese have a word for it. I call it appreciating duality.

THAT'S LIFE!
edit on 28-1-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Pull the plug , break out the art supplies, and just turn on the stereo next time.

Also, I used to set my TV to video,,,,cable disconnect, and just let them watch Bugs Bunny Cartoons,G rated
movies, etc. Hell, Regular TV is all commercials anyway. Shut it off. In a week, your boy won't even miss it.
By the way, reading to your child is better than either of the above alternatives(except the music/artwork method). But you know how kids are, you have to give them some variety and reward. Otherwise they will drive you nuts.
It is good to know you two love your children so much.

Some folks wouldn't even give a damn.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Weeeden

I hope so.

God, I hope so.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

Are you freaking serious????

What kind of sick-ass post is that??????

edit on 28-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Good catch Chadwickus,,,,,well that explains it for the O.P and the rest of us now doesn't it.

That was fast,,,cheers!,,,,,so now they know what to do next week when American Idol concludes,,,,,,

Turn The Damn Idiot Box Off!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Double Post.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
Pull the plug , break out the art supplies, and just turn on the stereo next time.

Also, I used to set my TV to video,,,,cable disconnect, and just let them watch Bugs Bunny Cartoons,G rated
movies, etc. Hell, Regular TV is all commercials anyway. Shut it off. In a week, your boy won't even miss it.
By the way, reading to your child is better than either of the above alternatives(except the music/artwork method). But you know how kids are, you have to give them some variety and reward. Otherwise they will drive you nuts.
It is good to know you two love your children so much.

Some folks wouldn't even give a damn.

You don't understand. WE DO ALL OF THOSE THINGS...

It is why I so utterly failed to appreciate the risk! We never watch TV. I had no clue such a thing could be on broadcast television.

EDIT to ADD:

I've also read to my child nearly every night of his life, with few exceptions. Those times, my wife read to him. We are very proud of that.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Yeah I know,,,,just a quick side comment.

Still, it does pertain to children, considering how many hours of their initial years that they spend

exposed to the affects of the screen. Weather it be Television or Monitors.

Not to mention programming....regards

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I did see it, I'm watching the episode now, I love Bones! Sorry lol

Bones has a M15 rating here in Aus, so it's on par with the rest of the world, including USA.

As an observation, it would seem that the US is a lot more liberal when it come to violence but not so much when it comes to sex.

Don't beat yourself up about it too much, just make it clear (and it sounds like you already have) that some things on tv are pretend etc.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Since you are watching the exact episode in question, have I described the scene adequately? Was it not in the very beginning?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

I only disbelieved because I took it literally. I've been out of touch with TV drama and prefer to watch gruesome murder scenes online. It's kind of like the thrill of watching something unpleasant just for the sake of it being unpleasant.

Yeah and getting a thrill out of watching real murders is sure to have a positive effect on evolving consciousness...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Apologies, I guess that was a stupid assumption on my part. Well, live and learn I guess.
Isn't it amazing how differently that one approaches the modern world once parenthood is involved?

This is speculation on my part, but you probably wouldn't have even noticed the change in programming before you were a parent.

At any rate, your instincts as a parent have certainly kicked into gear. That is a good thing.

Your Awareness is enhanced. But again, there are certain sneaky things in life that are beyond our
control. So don't be so hard on yourself.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Probably 3-5 minutes in, there was blood splatter and probably other head parts airborne, Bones is known to be quite graphic though, they just found a decomposed body in a bath.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
...there are certain sneaky things in life that are beyond our control.
So don't be so hard on yourself.

Thank you.

Let this thread be a WARNING to other unsuspecting parents who rarely watch TV.

I had no idea things had progressed this far. :shk:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Probably 3-5 minutes in, there was blood splatter and probably other head parts airborne,

No.

"Blood splatter and head parts airborne"...then three additional shots that seemed like an eternity of a headless body, gushing blood in a massive pool of blood surrounded by flesh and brain chunks...

I will never forget every detail.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I was going off from memory.

Watching now, wide shot showing head exploding at the 3:30 mark

Then close up blood splatter on a bystander.

Then camera flashes past the body quickly, no blood spurting but a pool of blood.

Another pan of the body.

Another close up of bystander with blood splatter on his clothes.

Cops swarm, people run...

Time now reads 4:00.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Dear Loam,
I'm not a parent nor do I wish to be, so I can't empathise quite at the level i'd want to, or is required here. However here's some tips:
1) Don't let a 6 year old watch adult television. American Idol is Adult Television.
2) Don't freak out too much or feel that guilty, parents have to multi task and sometimes they can't be there every waking second of their childs day
3) Harsh but true, your kid is going to grow up in the worst period in humanity to date. This isn't going to scar him half as much as what is to come. Sorry.. it's kind of true though, right?

Suck it up buttercup as my mother would say, it isn't the end of the world. Worse things will happen in the next 12 years of your son's life until he gets to 18.

I feel for you, but let's keep things rooted and in perspective here.

Regards,
T

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
If it makes you feel any better, you are not the only parent to have made this mistake.
Back before we eliminated T.V. entirely from our home there was a cartoon I had deemed appropriate for my children, but much to my horror during the commercials this trailer aired.

My one son was about 4 at the time and we dealt with reoccurring nightmares for weeks after that. It was horrible, I remember being so angry that they would air a commercial like that during a show that was aimed at preschool aged children. I can't remember what cartoon it was but I'll never forget the commercial and how it terrified my son. I even wrote to the network.

The best advice I can give is explain to your son that it was pretend and that some people think its playing pretend like that is ok, and they don't think about how it might upset others.

I think you are doing a great job as a parent.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join