It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Residents Hit With Government Ban On Paying By Cash

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

reply to post by PsychNurse

You forgot to mention one other factor. If cash would no longer be allowed, then how will people be able to have yard sales, sell their car themselves, pay a babysitter, pay a kid to mow your lawn, or even be able to help out a family member? All of these things are possible with cash. If cash didn't exist, there would be no way for one person to give another person money without some type of debit/charge card machine.

If they devised a way to for people to transfer money to any individual they wanted to, how many times will the police be called if the amount is large? Say a mom gives their daughter $500 to help her get settled in a new apartment and job, won't the police automatically think something illegal is taking place?

Where I live, I know of one place that requires cash only. Two other places you have to pay cash unless you make a purchase over x amount of dollars. Even in the mall there was a dollar store where you had to buy so much or pay cash.

To be honest, I wouldn't use my debit card as much as I do if my bank didn't post pending payments within minutes of the transaction. Heck, sometimes within seconds. Otherwise I know I would be in trouble with my bank. Then again I do trust my bank, maybe I'm navie in that area. Then again I haven't had a problem with them for over five years.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I have not had time to read the entire thread. My initial impression is that Discovery Bay is doing this as a measure against employee theft. The city's employees can steal cash. it's more difficult to steal payments made electronically.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Uhmm yeah this is a huge nono.. Business cannot refuse to accept cash as a form of payment. Its illegal to do so.

this isn't a business it's the government. this is another form of control. it chips away at your free will, since the government is making a choice for you.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I honestly hate pay with credit. It never sits right with me. I guess it's the old soul in me

Some times, I'll go to the bank to take out my money just to go to the store to pay with actual money (If you wanna call it money lol).

But either way.. this is not good. Especially with the corrupt that are in power now.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
My Grandfather told me when i was you " son there are 2 things you buy on credit 1 is a house and the 2nd is a car, anything else if you can't pay cash for it then you don't need it.

I've taken that advice to heart and even further (I've paid cash for every vehicle I ever purchased) to make someone forcibly buy something on Credit or to even make them use a Debit card (since when is having to put your money in a bank a law?) Is a bit too much intrusion for my tastes

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Uhmm yeah this is a huge nono.. Business cannot refuse to accept cash as a form of payment. Its illegal to do so.

this is absolutely correct. i wonder what's gonna happen when an enterprising sort out there decides to point out, with a court injunction backing them up, that cash is "legal tender for all debts, public and private."

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Reader the Coin act of '65:

en.wikipedia.org...

"On the other hand, coins made of gold or silver may not necessarily be legal tender, if they are not fiat money in the jurisdiction where they are preferred as payment. The United States Coinage Act of 1965 states (in part):
United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes and dues. Foreign gold or silver coins are not legal tender for debts.
—31 U.S.C. § 5103
This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor in the U.S. There is, however, no Federal statute that requires private businesses, persons, or organizations to accept it as payment for goods and/or services.[18]"

ONE ONLY HAS TO ACCEPT CASH IF IT IS DOLLAR-DENOMINATED DEBT.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
They are not refusing "Legal Tender" after all you had to use that legal tender to purchase the credits in order to use the credit system. I assume this post will go totally unseen and you will continue with the FEAR MONGERING though so what ever.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I just wonder if anyone has time to investigate whether there is a credit card deal being made with those agencies, like some sort of kickback or rebate for using credit cards. Since there is a fee charged to the entity accepting the credit card payments, why isn't there otherwise a local outcry against this extra cost as an example of government waste?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sakokrap
reply to post by jbmitch

In my business, I don't accept them either! Who wants a federal reserve note??! Even the Chinese are getting a bit of stomach ache from eating too much, and in their culture- they eat everything! So, California is going the way of many of the rest of us and just not accepting the IOU (but Kalifornians haven't yet figured out that the electronic form of the devilry is no less toxic ;-)

So you don't accept paper money. What do you get paid in? Plastic cards are not backed by gold, or silver they are backed by lying bankers. Do you only accept gold and silver? Don't take this as an attack I just don't understand the logic as you stated it. Do you barter? Help me out here.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
let me get this straight....you can use technology to pay for things but not a solid object which means exactly the same thing as the technology...

good luck with that.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Just as an aside note, in Japan they use their cellphones to enter subway, buy groceries and even a cup of coffee and nobody seems to break a sweat. In the next 2 years, the United States will close this technology gap, which is 10 years behind Japan, and we'll see a payment technology revolution.

But of course lots of us are backward, and insist on physical form of payment. Make your choice
a) shells
b) beads and blankets
c) human skulls
d) US paper money

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

You think our paper money to which is the source of the "plastic money", is still backed by a metal equivalent?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Judging by all of the comments on the first page, nobody read the original article. I don't bother with prisonplanet so I went to the Contra Costa website. They are no longer accepting cash for TOWN SERVICES. Not for everything in the town. This is in response to people making anonymous requests for public records by paying in cash. If they are forced to use plastic, they will leave a trail and the residents will know who is making the requests. According to the article, there are 4 or 5 local antagonists that are putting the local government in positions to create these silly laws that are only brought about to make people accountable for their actions.

Heres the thing though, the people that are making anonymous requests can still gain access to those records anonymously by going down there in person and inspecting them because they're not required to pay or show ID. As I understand it, if they want a copy, they are required to pay with plastic now instead of cash, which would provide a record of who is snooping around.

Cut the doom and gloom, do a little investigating of your own, and use your brain. The sky isnt falling.

Original Article

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This is ridiculous and should be easily defeated as per the laws mentioned already regarding legal US tender. Of course the citizens of this place have to step up and do something first.

I use cash all the time, though I don't use it to pay bills. Online payments are much more convenient. But once I pay bills I pull out a pre-determined amount of cash and use that to make my day to day transactions. When that cash is gone then I gotta wait till payday.

This law wouldn't necassarily affect me, but I would still fight it... It hasn't been much more than a year since i was unemployed and had no bank account at all. Not sure how they would expect someone in that type of situation to pay them.

If I were them I'd take cash and have them give me written proof that they are refusing my legal US tender for payment of the debt with them. Then I'd sue the poo out of them.

Good thread, S&F

Edit to add:

Just saw its only for public records request and not bills, I still think there a case though. Don't see how they cal legally deny cash.
edit on 28-1-2011 by XTexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Wow! What part of "Legal Tender" don't THEY understand!

I think that might even be unconstitutional.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
you can't hack a peice of paper. that is my only concern, that the technology, just like businesses, will not be secure enough to replace physical wealth.

think about it, an emp would wipe all the data and thus your cash, gone, like that *click*

or, someone hacking your card details, two seconds later your pension is in someone else's account. or whatever.

not that gold is any safer if the same culprits decide to rob a bank, but compared to magnetic strips holding your cash i think i've made my point.

final note, japan have nothing on you americans, you have nasa, nasa are further ahead with nanotech than pretty much anybody.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
reply to post by ziggystrange

You think our paper money to which is the source of the "plastic money", is still backed by a metal equivalent?

No.
I asked a question,

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Just as an aside note, in Japan they use their cellphones to enter subway, buy groceries and even a cup of coffee and nobody seems to break a sweat. In the next 2 years, the United States will close this technology gap, which is 10 years behind Japan, and we'll see a payment technology revolution.

But of course lots of us are backward, and insist on physical form of payment. Make your choice
a) shells
b) beads and blankets
c) human skulls
d) US paper money

Let's just get rid of money, eliminate poverty, and have everything free. We have the ability now. Our robotics is up to snuff to do all the jobs no one wants to do....

See my free book linked in my sig, as well as many of my threads here to understand how we can do this.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

odds are someone is doing this as we speak. also so many dont realize that the federal reserve is a private entity.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join