It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Residents Hit With Government Ban On Paying By Cash

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
History of economics

For my hard work they gave me gold
They then took my gold away and gave me paper
Now they are taking my paper away and giving me a card and virtual currency
I predict they will take those cards soon enough and use my biometrics instead

And it's all about CONTROL

When paper money is gone, they can easily
-track you down with all your payments
-deny access to your earnings
-easily take whatever they want from you, it in the forms of future taxation
-by denying access to funds, people will fall in line or lose the ability to provide to themselves

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
That's right folks. No need for cash.
Just use credit or debit to buy into your own slice of Orwellian goodness.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
gee, the bible doesn't say what we should do if ceaser decides he doesn't want what is his!!!
I've been told by a few people that if you go and try to pay a bill, even patrially, and they refuse the payment, it means that you don't owe the money!1 I don't know if that is true or not...does anyone here?
because, well, if I went to pay my water bill and they didn't accept my cash, I'd be testing that theory!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Well those people who don't want to have bank accounts can use those pay as you go debit cards. You just put the cash on what you need to use and that is IT. Screw having a bank account.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
This makes sense. My hunches are:

1., The depreciation of the US Dollar. I believe the government will create another currency in order to save the country from a breakdown. I'm pretty sure the government has done their homework. They know they messed up because Nixon took the dollar off the gold standard in 1971, so its no surprise that the government wants to transition its citizens into digital money. It's funny because its money that doesn't exist, but digital. LOL

2. As an extra perk, it will be easier to monitor citizens with illegal activities and be easier to track down drug dealers, criminals and such. WOW, awesome!

3. This is a test of how citizens will react to the change. Change needs to happen now. I agree with the government.

4. Although privacy laws will be affected, it will ultimately be changed for the better good of the country, not the citizens. No matter what, you are being monitored as we speak. Ever since FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act), an act that our government cannot not monitor our calls and emails, was over turned in 2001 so that citizens of the USA can be recorded for their activities. The 9/11 was meant to happen and was ordered to happen so that these laws will be easier to put in place. I think it was a great move by our government.

5. This country is gun-ho about keeping their citizens under their thumbs, basically, keeping our country safe, like an overbearing mother or father that will not let you break curfew or let you get away with things that is considered "bad." If you go to any other country and piss someone off, you are a dead man. Trust me. It's easier to kill someone in another country, but not in the USA.

I hope your mind is capable of taking this information. If not, then you do not belong in the USA. Go to Africa so that you can get killed by the different groups of people. Or go to Columbia, they will LOVE you there.

It's a game about safety. The question is: How much safety is too much?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I have 11 words to say in response:
"THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by meesterlonewolf

So.... you're 100 percent pro government, basically?

99% of what I read in your post scares me.

Or Im just tired. Shrugs. Someone else will clarify in time. Me? I hate having them taking our rights and freedoms away one at a time. Yet, you're right, we still got it better than most of the other Countries out there. Yet, by how much any more, I don't really know.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Currency should always be accepted especially since Banks will not open accounts for those with bad credit. This just causes the poor to have to pay more expensive fees for the pay per use cards.

A modified version of this started a few years ago where there were several people who paid their fines with a wheel barrow full of pennies. This happened in a couple different cities in my state & they both changed their polices to not accept coins because of the burden of having to count it.

Their argument of course will be the cost savings of not having to handle cash. No cash drawers to count at the end of shifts & no deposits, bank runs, safes or etc.
edit on 28-1-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

As lomg as Notes or Coins are still marked as Legal Tender, I can't see how they can legally refuse it. If you didn't trust the Banksters, and took all your money out and put it in shoe box under your bed. At least the rat bastards and government will not be able to get their dirty grubby hands on it. You don't have a Computer and your only way paying for Electrity Bill is with Cash, what are they going to do. Eventually you could go to jail because you can only pay your bills with Government Legal Tender.

Sounds more like Epsidoe of Boston Legal

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Surely this can not be enforced if (USD) cash is still regarded as legal tender! Telstra in Australia tried to pull something similar some time ago but pulled the plug when their customers started switching carriers.

For public utilities; they have to legally accept or I would be demonstrating outside Govt depts and writing to the President and asking "is our cash still legal tender or not?" and "why can't we pay legal tender to pay our bills?"

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Maybe they're beginning to worry about international counterfeiting, www.foxnews.com... and are testing the publics reaction to a cashless system.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
actual newpaper/agency reporting the incident..

Cash no longer king in Discovery Bay

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 01/19/2011 10:46:39 PM PST
Updated: 01/21/2011 05:50:41 PM PST

DISCOVERY BAY -- Starting in May, residents no longer will have the option of paying for town services, including public records requests, with cash.

The Discovery Bay Community Services District board voted this week to ban cash transactions for all services, including water bills and park reservations.

Board members said the new policy will ensure the safety of town clerks and save the district time and money, but some say it is also a response to anonymous requests for public records the town has received. Those requesting records anonymously have been using cash to pay for the cost of copying the documents.

Resident Don Flint, who is often critical of the board, noted that the district began receiving anonymous records requests last fall -- it has so far received four -- and charged that the board was attempting to limit access to public information.

"I'm troubled that the board takes steps to limit people's access to records," he said. "I think that you guys are overstepping if not the letter then the spirit of the law."

Directors Mark Simon, Chris Steele and Kevin Graves said the new policy is not a response to these anonymous requests. The presence of cash at town offices might endanger staff by attracting thieves, the directors said, though they acknowledged that this has never happened.

The directors also cited the staff time the district spends bringing cash payments to the local bank.

The main concern is the safety of our employees and the second is the efficiency with which we do our jobs," Graves said.

But former director David Piepho, who retired from the board in December, a month after the no-cash policy was introduced, says the change was designed to put an end to anonymous requests, which he believes are inappropriate.

"You'll find that a lot of the rules that the CSD deals with are created because of the same four or five antagonists," he said. "They're made because people acted in such a way that a rule needed to be made."

Board member Brian Dawson called the anonymous requests "cowardly" and indicative of "bad intentions."

"It's happenstance that I don't really care for," he said.

Discovery Bay is home to a group of residents whom officials say are uncommonly antagonistic toward local government. The town, which receives about seven records requests each month, recently began publishing the names of those requesting public records in the agendas for its biweekly meetings.

General Manager Rick Howard said the no-cash policy will have the "side benefit" of creating accountability among those requesting information. He noted that no one ever picked up copies made for one of the recent anonymous requests, frustrating city staff.

"When we got anonymous requests, we don't know if people are going to come in and get this stuff or not pick them up," he said. "If it never gets picked up, we don't have any recourse to contact them."

Public records requests must be answered within 10 days, according to state law. Requests still may be made anonymously because a person who goes to inspect public records, for which no fee can be charged, doesn't have to provide identifying information.

Piepho says he hopes the new policy will make it harder for antagonistic residents to use records requests as a weapon.

"They want to be like snipers and take shots," he said, "but they don't want the spotlight on them."

Residents will be able to use checks, credit or debit cards and money orders to pay for town services.
source

Soooo.. why can't they just mail the requests back to those requesting it........it's not like they don't KNOW who is requesting it LM*O since they already KNOW the address of the person requesting it.. ........wow..

it kinda goes like this.. over the phone...

receptionist.. "ok, I'm writing down your request of info, and this is Jane Doe from 1234 SW whatever street, correct?
Jane Doe; " yep .. that's me, thx"

Recept. "ok .. thx you we'll mail today or tomorrow and it s/b to you within 3 business days."

Jane Doe "ok thx."

and.. why would you take annon requests ANYWAYS.............................DUH~~~~~~~!!!!

edit on 28-1-2011 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Welcom to the Apocalypse. Time for your Digital Angel right?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Its a pretty pathetic excuse really, if i lived there and they refused cash from me, which is what a debit card technically is because it can be withdrawn from an ATM, i'd simply not pay the bill and record me trying to pay it by cash...they refuse to take your payment, its their loss, not yours!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

S & F

BigGov loves this type of behavior of local goons, as it portends what they hope to institute nationwide. Of course it is unlawful, but sense when has that stopped TPTB from enforcing illegal proceedures.

When you have a 100% digital economy you have NO privacy and you have BigGov in control of ALL your money. If BigGov determines too much money is flowing, it is a simple matter in a digital economy to decree that spending be limited to $100 or so per day per family, no matter what your wealth. Upon implementation, cash would have to be deposited into your digital account by a certain day to be valid and after that date would be of no value. If BigGov needs more money they just debit your digital account and credit their account. If you think BigGov is oppressive now, just wait till they control the digital economy.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Its a pretty pathetic excuse really, if i lived there and they refused cash from me, which is what a debit card technically is because it can be withdrawn from an ATM, i'd simply not pay the bill and record me trying to pay it by cash...they refuse to take your payment, its their loss, not yours!

Just try that! When you don't pay the bill their way and they shut off your water, then Code Enforcement and the Health Dept will be at your doorstep to remove your children from the home and the next day you will be removed and your home will be barricaded with yellow ticker tape as a health hazard for lack of utilities, etc.

If the mortgage scams and the job losses did not get you they must devise other ways to thin the herd.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by meesterlonewolf

You really worried me until I read your last line, which tells me you don't even believe your own hype. I for one am tired of losing my freedoms one at a time for the sake of "my own good". In my opinion the government should worry about running the country and let me worry about my daily life.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
By the sounds of the articles, the council is more upset by the requests for public information, I'm curious if these requests are information leading back to the officials themselves and they don't want their transactions ie.(dirty laundry) revealed to the general public. This would give them an open door to striking back at the individuals requesting the information.
In any case, presently, This new ordinance won't hold water in a court of law. Legal tender is legal tender, for now anyway. Tomorrow could be a different story.
The peoples republic of California has always been a testing ground for unfavorable acts perpetrated against the public and often times accepted by other state and local governments if it succeeded, smoking bans in public is one example, emissions control is another.
Look out people.... big brother is nocking !!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

I often worry about this too. I'm a history major, and remember reading about how at one point it was illegal to own gold above a certain amount.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

omg. ...The big squeeze.

Time to get those trading cooperatives up and running.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

California Residents Hit With Government Ban On Paying By Cash

www.prisonplanet.com

Residents of Discovery Bay,California will be the first in the country to be officially denied the right to use cash to pay for public services,in a move that echoes the Department of Homeland Security’s drive to depict those who use physical money as potential terrorists.

As reported by the Contra Costa Times recently,from May onwards,residents will no long be allowed to pay water bills or purchase park permits after the Discovery Bay Community Services District board voted to ban cash transactions for all services.

Anyone paying for such public services must do so with a credit/debit
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

They are not really the first. Many utilities companies are set up that way. Its called efficiency. I don't see a red flag here. Its a huge inconvenience to those of us that prefer cash, I do admit that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join