It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Residents Hit With Government Ban On Paying By Cash

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+127 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

California Residents Hit With Government Ban On Paying By Cash

www.prisonplanet.com

Residents of Discovery Bay,California will be the first in the country to be officially denied the right to use cash to pay for public services,in a move that echoes the Department of Homeland Security’s drive to depict those who use physical money as potential terrorists.

As reported by the Contra Costa Times recently,from May onwards,residents will no long be allowed to pay water bills or purchase park permits after the Discovery Bay Community Services District board voted to ban cash transactions for all services.

Anyone paying for such public services must do so with a credit/debit
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

+44 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is a story to pay attention to. Hopefully this is not a sign of what's to come, or a 'testing ground'.

What impositions such as this reveal to me, especially if carried out or expanded to a broader level, is the absolute CONTROL of the citizens, and the MONITORING of their every transaction.

Not to mention with many people being sick and tired of the nonsense going on with the banks and pulling their monies out, this could also be used as a measure to keep people absolutely ENSLAVED to that system.

Hopefully this is just an isolated instance and location, and not the sign of where we are headed next as a society.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+21 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I bet the people will be leaving town like rats from a sinking ship. This town has doomed itself to extinction.

+62 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Uhmm yeah this is a huge nono.. Business cannot refuse to accept cash as a form of payment. Its illegal to do so.

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Of larger concern:

One former director on the District Board told the Times that he believes the move has come in response to a small amount of anonymous requests for copies of public records, which were then paid for in cash, a perfectly legal right. Residents of the town have been described as “uncommonly antagonistic toward local government”, and former director David Piepho believes some are attempting to use public records “to be like snipers and take shots.” He believes that by banning cash payments, the local government will be able to identify who these individuals are or prevent them from requesting further public information.

However, district representatives have denied those claims, instead suggesting that the ban is being put in place because handling cash puts city officials under threat from potential thieves. California Residents Hit With Government Ban On Paying By Cash 250111banner1

There is a suspicion that the Board voted to ban cash transactions as a direct result of trying to identify those whom they deem "dissidents and trouble makers"...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

As I've noted in other places, there is a concerted effort underway to do away with using physical instruments of payment such as cash, coins, checks, etc.. Digital cash, or electronic money, is coming whether you like it or not. So to are biometric and RFID 'innovations'. Won't be long and you will not be able to access the internet without it. Just a matter of time.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

My thoughts too. How can they refuse cash? There are people AKA "poor people" who have, nor ever will, own a credit/debit card. Owing one requires some type of business relationship with a bank or other corporate organization, and I just can't see a government, local or otherwise, forcing citizens into that. Of course I am looking at the small picture.

+64 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Amazing, a Government department refuses to accept "Legal Tender" that has been issued by the Government..

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Now I'm going to sound like one of those hysterical end timers. I can't help it, this is so scarey to me. In order for the Bible prophecys to come true, I am refering to the number of the beast without which you cannot buy or sell, cash has to disappear. If only "electronic money" exists, then our bank accounts can be controled and by extension, we will be controled.

link   
No indication here that cash won't be accepted
Water Department

Online bill pay is not available at this time. Until this service is available, please pay your bill by mailing or dropping off payment to: Town of Discovery Bay CSD 1800 Willow Lake Road Discovery Bay, CA 94505 Phone: 925-634-1131

www.townofdiscoverybay.org...

This doesn't mean anything, but you would think that they would at least warn their citizens.
edit on 1/27/2011 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

link   
MUST FLAG THIS SUCKER!!!!KEEP IT HOT!!!!
Whoooee! the real SNTF if this is not struck down...When the goverment prints cash thats good for all debts both PUBLIC AND PRIVATE< you bet the townies better accept it!
Thsi is so far away from constitutional rights a to z that it reeks SECRET POLICE!
The board is misusing goverment policy to fulfill political agenda...!
How many laws are being broken with this law?
Id seriously lik to see a count of them...
Such a small ordinance, but such BIG implcations!

link   
It's not actually as horrible as the title led me to believe. Whenever I am staying at my home in CA, I have to take Caltrains or BART, and I use a debit card. I use a FastTrack to pay tolls and airport parking fees all the time. Cash is a pain at the terminals. Ever wait behind some old fella at the ticket kiosk who is trying to get the money sorted out? A card makes that much faster. I don't care if they track me in my day to day operation. I am not doing anything wrong. If you need to move about unseen, then stay off the trains and buses anyway. They're already watching you through a tiny lens.

+26 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

They cant plain and simple. Cash issued by the US Government is a legal tender for all dbts, public and private. All other forms of currency (debit / credit, checks, IOU's, barter) are sibject to refusal, and business can refuse those forms.

The city Government cannot refuse to accept cash as a form of payment. Someone needs to contact the State Attorneys Generals Office as well as the DHS / DOJ and file complaints.

The idiots at City Council need to be investigated to find out what they hell they think they are doing.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Time for residents to sue them into submission.

"All debts public" is written right on the bill...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
S&F for the OP, now for the see for your self part www.contracostatimes.com... type in cash is no longer king in the search box and there you will find there lame excuse as to why they will not except cash for payment, to put it short and sweet there to lazy to take cash to the bank and to explain why they have so much money at one time, never heard of Brinks? or gee it is payday it is always like this.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

"All coins and currencies of the United Stated (including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of the Federal Reserve banks and national banking associations) heretofore or hereafter coined or issued, shall be legal tender for all debts, public and private, public charges, taxes, duties, and dues, except that gold coins, when below the standard weight and limit of tolerance provided by law for the single piece, shall be legal tender only at valuation in proportion to their actual weight.'

Approved, June 5, 1933, 4:40 p.m. 31 U.S.C.A. 462, 463

House Joint Resolution 192, 73d Congress, Sess. I, Ch. 48, June 5, 1933 (Public Law No. 10 )

www.truthsetsusfree.com...

was this ever repealed or amended?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
reply to post by Xcathdra

How can they refuse cash? There are people AKA "poor people" who have, nor ever will, own a credit/debit card.

There are also wealthy people who refuse to have a credit/debit card as they wish to have all their money in their own possession as opposed to it just floating around as numbers.

Hopefully, this "will not accept cash" mentality does not spread. It is absurd to force people to put their money in a bank so that they can pay their bills.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

well there is a DHS law that this towns leader ship is using as it's reason why it will not take cash come may, it is also part of the "p" act that is the patriot act.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Wow. That hits close to home. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I hope this is an isolated incident indeed!
I mean, holy cow batman - I don't have a credit card... and hopefully never will!
How would I pay for anything without cash?! I only use hard cash, I don't want to be trapped in a cycle of debt and overdrawn accounts... not to mention leaving a paper trail of my spendings on the grid for all to see -
Stop the planet, I want to get off!!
Wag

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join