It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet activist: Why I want to buy a satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Internet Access is a Human Right

Access to the internet is a human right, says Kosta Grammatis, who wants to buy a satellite to get the whole world online.

You want to buy a communications satellite that is in orbit around the Earth. Why?

To bring internet access to millions of people who can't, currently, get online.

How will buying a satellite help when billions of people don't have phones or computers to access the internet?

The cost of computing continues to decrease substantially. In India, for example, they are rolling out the $12 laptop. Some people in developing countries spend half their disposable income on cellphones because telecommunications add value to their lives. If access to the internet were free, people will find a way to get devices to use it.

Have you got a particular satellite in mind?

Our organisation, ahumanright.org, has been thinking about recycling an existing satellite for a while. In 2009 we heard that the company Terrestar was being delisted from the NASDAQ stock exchange. At the time they owned the largest communications satellite ever put in space. We thought it would be a unique opportunity, if they did declare bankruptcy, to buy their satellite. When the company filed for chapter-11 bankruptcy protection in October last year we rolled out buythissatellite.org to crowd-source the initiative.

Here's a video of him talking about it:

I wonder what kind of impact this would have on the world, if everyone was able to get on the internet for free. It seems like an incredible concept, and I imagine it would help improve the quality of life for many people. I'm not sure how long it will take him to raise enough money to purchase a satellite, but it should be interesting. I would think that cable companies wouldn't like it very much. Most of them are allergic to the word "Free". What are your opinions on free internet access?

edit on 27-1-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

That is a really awesome idea, but I'd like to see how it would pan out. After all, theres no such thing as free...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

That's a pretty decent "For the people of Earth" kinda thing to do. You know I was reading and article
about private inexpensive launching recently, as well as the Indian launch failure.

Here is one of the Articles for you , this is a California based company.

www.spg-corp.com...

Their Homepage www.spg-corp.com...

Here is another www.digitaljournal.com...

And lastly an article about the Indian launch failure

www.deccanherald.com...

You people should consider getting in touch with our folks in California

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The powers that be would never allow totally free internet access for the masses. They would have the thing shoot out of the sky like they did last year to a wayward satellite.

new topics

top topics

join