It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt: Internet down, police counterterror unit up

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Looks like the Egyptian army is now on the streets.

and the protesters look happy and cheering, a little confuzed at the moment.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

Well it was mentioned that if the military shifted support to the protesters it could signal the end. Without the military support the current power would shift quickly. I understand from reading that the current leader is the head of the military, but that doesn't really mean anything nobody is immune to being overthrown.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

If the army sides with the protesters, Mubarak's regime is done.

This needs to be watched closely.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Being reported the police are now using live ammunition on unarmed protesters.

Shot in the head: The moment Egyptian police gunned down an unarmed protester for throwing a rock.

dailym ail.co.uk

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Spinster

Al Jazeera is all over reporting on this, and I have not heard this mentioned yet. They are currently reporting live from Egypt in many locations. Link Here I will keep watching and see if they confirm this, but still haven't seen or heard this.

Edit to add:

I think if they start using live fire there is going to be a rapid escalation of violence from the protesters. I don't think they will stop at disarming and roughing up the police, but instead start completely incapacitating and possibly killing them. If the rioters manage to disarm some of the police with firearms it could be pretty ugly.

edit on 1/28/2011 by SpaDe_ because: to add info

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but El Baradei has been placed under house arrest.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

five minutes ago on Al Jazeera, they said one protester was reported dead. That was it. She didn't specify if had been killed by riot police or not.

Edit to add. Protesters in Alexandria are in control. Riot police have withdrew in Alexandria. wow
edit on 28-1-2011 by BluePillOrRedPill because: I wanted to

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Yeah, I caught that as well. Will wait and see how this unfolds. I hope for all involved that they do not resort to using live fire because it will end much worse than it could currently end.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
They just announced a curfew.

Its from 6pm( in about 30 minutes) to 7am tommorow.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Lol! They are issuing a curfew? Yeah there are massive riots and protests throughout the country and what a curfew is going to make them all go home?
I think this is a little too late to try and enforce a curfew.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Uhoh, state police have entered the Al Jazeera broadcasting building in Egypt. This could be good, or bad. They could be there for security or to stop them from broadcasting. They have already shut down cell service, and internet so I guess live news is next possibly?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What happened to that policeman? I was reading the thread and clicked back to the feed and a riot police guy was down and was having trouble getting up.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
yes quite shocking events - BBC journalist arrested as well;
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 28-1-2011 by digitalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I didn't see this anywhere else in the thread, and thought in light of so many watching the live feeds that this info may be interesting.

wikileaks.ch...

A senior Egyptian politician told an American diplomat in July 2009 [09CAIRO1468] that the military would safeguard a "constitutional transition of power" and implied the armed forces would support Gamal Mubarak, the son of current president Hosni Mubarak. Dr. Ali El Deen Hilal Dessouki, a former minister in the ruling National Democratic Party (NDP), claimed that even though "the real center of power in Egypt is the military", they would have "no objection to a civilian" as the next president...
Dessouki went on to dismiss the possible danger of protests against the current regime, calling opposition parties "weak" and democracy a "long term goal."

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Looked like he almost passed out. He's probably dehydrated and exhausted.

Riot control is very demanding work, Ive had personal experience in riot control training as an MP. If they are not eating and drinking properly they will have casualties.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Quite amazing scenes as they all stopped for Friday prayer, very surreal. It is fascinating to see how this is going to play out. Lets just hope for a peaceful outcome.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
the riot police was just a warmup, Egypt's future will be determined by how the Army will react tonight. will they side with the Egyptian populace or will they side with the Mubarak regime? this is history in the making right here, folks.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
A curfew will be enforced in a mere 14 minutes. Surely those enforcing realize that the streets are full of protesters, and just saying "Hey, don't be out past your bedtime!" won't be enough to get them off the streets. Do you think it's so they can justify actions of extreme violence?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
here we go...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Don't forget to flag the thread, people need to watch.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join