It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freshman GOP senator pledges to filibuster debt-ceiling increase

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
thehill.com...

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), a founding member of the Senate's Tea Party Caucus, has pledged to filibuster legislation to increase the debt ceiling.

Lee said a filibuster could be averted only if Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and GOP leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) reach an agreement to pass a balanced-budget amendment through the Senate.

This coming on the heels of the announcement of a $500 billion dollar proposal from Sen. Rand Paul to cut the budget feels like the Tea Party is starting to at least make serious proposals. Now we must watch closely and monitor the situation to see if they are willing to follow through with their proposals.

Mike Lee (R) – Utah, is a Constitutional lawyer and considers himself a “Constitutional Conservative” so I doubt he will take this situation lightly. Also as he had mentioned tonight on ‘Freedom Watch with Judge Napolitano’, just because the debt ceiling is raised it does not mean we will default it just means we will have to seriously crack down on our spending and start paying off our debts immediately.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Good!!!!!!

At least SOMEONE has the balls to stand up to these crooks...

Perhaps I need to move to Utah!

S&F Misoir

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
BUMP

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

If this happens there will be 100s of thousands more people out on the streets looking for non-existant jobs! If the debt ceiling is raised it just puts off the same thing happening at a later date. Guess what America's political leadership, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Not raising the debt ceiling would cause a default. A default would cause interest rates to skyrocket which would cost us more in the long run that raising the debt ceiling.

And I wonder if this Senator from Utah voted to lower taxes on millionaires and to rescind the estate tax so that more "old" money could stay in the hands of the nation's wealthiest families ?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
Not raising the debt ceiling would cause a default. A default would cause interest rates to skyrocket which would cost us more in the long run that raising the debt ceiling.

And I wonder if this Senator from Utah voted to lower taxes on millionaires and to rescind the estate tax so that more "old" money could stay in the hands of the nation's wealthiest families ?

Continued raising of the debt level only postpones a default..
Eventually the interest will not be possible to meet dispite how much you tax the people..

Do it NOW, end the fed and tell the scum banks to cut their losses..

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Sound great! Increasing the money supply is far more dangerous now than default. Why - Because increasing the money supply will threaten the dollars position as the worlds reserve currency and if we lose that, the dollar becomes literally worthless.

top topics

join