It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaurs outlive mass extinction by about 700,000 years!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Wow this is really mind blowing!

They actually survived the mass extinction!(Or at leas just this one!)

www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2011) — University of Alberta researchers determined that a fossilized dinosaur bone found in New Mexico confounds the long established paradigm that the age of dinosaurs ended between 65.5 and 66 million years ago.
It's widely believed that a mass extinction of the dinosaurs happened between 65.5 and 66 million years ago. It's commonly believed debris from a giant meteorite impact blocked out the Sun, causing extreme climate conditions and killing vegetation worldwide.

Heaman and his research colleagues say there could be several reasons why the New Mexico hadrosaur came from a line of dinosaurs that survived the great mass extinction events of the late Cretaceous period (KT extinction event). Heaman says it's possible that in some areas the vegetation wasn't wiped out and a number of the hadrosaur species survived. The researchers also say the potential survival of dinosaur eggs during extreme climatic conditions needs to be explored.

Heaman and his colleagues believe if their new uranium-lead dating technique bears out on more fossil samples then the KT extinction paradigm and the end of the dinosaurs will have to be revised.

edit on 27-1-2011 by binomialtheorem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
700,000 years huh? Just a shot in the dark but I bet there was more than just this one

The discovery is really cool though, just goes to show scientists don't know everything.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
700,000 years huh? Just a shot in the dark but I bet there was more than just this one

The discovery is really cool though, just goes to show scientists don't know everything.

And lets not forget that it shows that science is open to change, unlike a few other subjects I know of.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
S + F
Now this has got me thinking. "If" these dinosaurs survived the mass extinction by 700,000 years, then what eventually killed them off?
Another one?
Extreme climatic conditions?
Intervention?

edit on 27/1/2011 by Hazz-14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by binomialtheorem
They actually survived the mass extinction!(Or at leas just this one!)
Maybe.

I'm open to the possibility but not ready to accept the first claim I see as conclusive proof of this. For one thing, if the routine precision of this uranium-lead dating method is in the 0.1-1 percent range, what if it's closer to the 1% end?

What's 1% of 65 million years? It's about the amount of time we are talking about, 650,000 years. So it's far from convincing evidence to me, in fact not very persuasive at all, really.

I think what WOULD be persuasive is if the fossils were found in a formation relative to the K-T boundary, and were found AFTER the K-T boundary, instead of before it. This would be convincing proof. But a find that the most recent dinosaurs may 1% younger than previously thought when the test itself may have an error of 1% means that at a minimum further confirmations of this are needed with regard to actually finding fossils AFTER the K-T boundary.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by binomialtheorem

I think it's reasonable to assume that some small populations survived the KT event. Doesn't mean that the age of dinosaurs didn't end as their dominance was nothing more than a fading memory after the fact as the populations dwindled and eventually disapeared.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Ohh no, I can see a few people on this site twisting this into proof that dinosaurs were alive in biblical times.
edit on 31/1/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
YOU MEAN DINOSAURS AREN'T ALIVE NOW!!!!!!!! how disappointing

edit on 1/31/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Dinos didnt die, they shrunk down and evolved into birds because food sources were limited after the KT event.

top topics

join