It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Overvalued at $50 Billion in Global Poll of Investors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Facebook Overvalued at $50 Billion in Global Poll of Investors

www.bloomberg.com

Facebook Inc. isn’t worth $50 billion, according to a poll of global investors that shows skepticism about Goldman Sachs Group Inc.’s recent estimate of the largest social-networking site’s value and concern that a bubble may be forming in the technology sector.

Sixty-nine percent of investors say Facebook is overvalued after Goldman Sachs invested $450 million in a deal that put the company’s worth at $50 billion, according to the quarterly poll of 1,000 Bloomberg customers who are investors.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I guess that more or less indicates that the resources that are at hand which far exceed 95% of the general populations ability to earn as a fraction of its wealth are showing us how easy the masses can be manipulated regardless of their social order.

I guess it was only a matter of time and as many of us already had seen the so called bubble and were confused or mystified as to how and why a company would be so grossly over exposed. Well i guess it was a crude lesson into the world of capitalism and its affect on a socially structured world wide project.

Humans are so predictable.

www.bloomberg.com

p.s.

in the words of Stephen Colbert

"I agree with the president. If we're going to make America number one again then it is the personal responsibility of every American… to invent something groundbreaking that will then be manufactured by children in Indonesia."
edit on 27-1-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

So it's the social-media bubble? Well guys, invest in start-ups and sell when the euphoria starts.

Well, that's what the smart folks do anyway.
edit on 27-1-2011 by antonia because: RAWR

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by tristar

So it's the social-media bubble? Well guys, invest in start-ups and sell when the euphoria starts.

Well, that's what the smart folks do anyway.
edit on 27-1-2011 by antonia because: RAWR

AT 50 billion..i guess someone is doing something right.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
IMO it may be the ultimate short sell of a lifetime if it ever goes public (IPO). The thing is you might go broke in the meantime holding on to your position.

Social media definitely has a shelf life. There undoubtedly will be something better down the line if not already in the works.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Face books only in its early childhood stages. It is really quite a global thing which is going to be intertwined in every day life.

I think there's going to be a big market fight between 'second life' and 'facebook' over who creates the better cyber world.

15yrs ago I was using a 486SX for ICQ on a 33baud modem.

Today I can use my Iphone, Laptop or wireless blue tooth headset to connect with people online.

450million today will be worth a crap load more in 15yrs when todays technology seems so old and backwards.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Of course its overvalued, unless bandwidth somehow becomes ridiculously cheap it will never make a profit. Same goes for Twitter.

The only reason Goldman Sachs is saying its worth 50 billion is they plan on taking them public, and making a fortune off the suckers who buy the stock simply because everyone uses Facebook.

When the economy gets really bad, and its coming soon, people will wise up and only invest in things that actually make a profit. If Facebook wants to cash in they need to do it soon before people wake up.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by proximo

My feelings too. I think you can probably make a profit in the very short term as people are gonna gobble it up and you can sell it off quick. You'd probably make a few bucks.

Twitter has been in business for at least 3 years. I don't think they have a profit that i've seen. Facebook at least has better staying power until someone invents a better social platform. I'm not sure it's entirely profitable though. The numbers just aren't impressive. It's the late 90's all over agian. I remember everyone clamoring for any silly dot com that went public. Yahoo never even cut a profit in those says and their stock was insanely high.
edit on 28-1-2011 by antonia because: RAWR

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Facebook is just a fad until the next big thing comes out.

But I must admit it is a very entertaining gossip site. People reveal just about everything.

top topics

join