It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigarettes Banned in NY?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Electronic cigarettes may look like real cigarettes but they deliver nicotine in vapor form; no smoke or tar. But some New York State lawmakers want to ban them altogether. "The products are not being regulated, so there's no oversight of how they're being manufactured," said Dr. Richard O'Connor, an associate professor at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. O'Connor has been researching e-cigs for the past year. Some state lawmakers want to ban them until the FDA decides how to regulate them. O'Connor says right now there's litigation over how it should be regulated; as tobacco or as a drug like a quit smoking aid. "Are these safe?" 2 On Your Side's Josh Boose asked Dr. O'Connor. "We really don't know," O'Connor replied. "There's very little evidence on long-term use of the products." A local owner of a kiosk that sells e-cigs would not talk about the potential ban, but off-camera a sales associate told 2 On Your Side e-cigs are not any more dangerous than a nicotine patch or gum and made it clear you have to be at least 18 to purchase them. O'Connor says his research shows there isn't just one company making these e-cigs, there are many smaller ones doing it, then branding it with their own names. A majority of those companies are in China. "There's little if any control over manufacturing or quality," said O'Connor. "It's sort of a gamble as to what product you're actually getting." The bill banning e-cigarettes made it through the health committee in the state assembly. If it's approved by the assembly, state senate and signed by the governor, New York would be the first state to ban e-cigs.

www.wgrz.com...

Once again just utter crap flowing out of state officials. I can understand regulating the ones sold from China and overseas as who knows what chemicals are put into them. But the ones made in the USA clearly list ingredients as distilled water, nicotine, usp grade glycerin,natural flavors. Myself I see it as they are mad because as of right now they cannot tax these things like they do regular cigarettes. Which as usual nobody will call them out on it but someone should. Anyone else sick and tired of stupid meaningless legislation for the purpose of taxation? Being a resident of NYS I cannot understand how people can say I love NY, it's one of the dirtiest, politically incompetent states in the union. If it wasn't for family I'd been long gone a while ago.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

I would imagine that in the long run, they will get taxed to some extent.

The same happened here in the UK with Diesel Fuel.

It used to be half the price of regular Unleaded Gas but since the sale of Diesel Cars rocketed, it is actually about 5% more expensive now.

We are fighting a war we can't win with Taxation.

Ban something and other things go up. If it's popular, put the price up etc

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I love NY. it has a natural beauty many states dont. You think it is a coincedence that the greatest places to live in this country (specifically CA and NY) have been regulated to death?

But somehow, we keep electing morons. I dont think its the states fault, its the citizens fault. Not just local politics either, look at Chuck Schumer, the most rightwing liberal that ever lived, and yet he gets a free pass every election, and probably will until he dies.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I'm not sure what Nicotine Replacement products are like over in the US but here in the UK they are an utter rip off and a weeks supply of patches cost about the same as a weeks supply of cigarettes. They're manufactured by the big pharmaceauticals and probably cost next to nothing to manufacture, after all, it's just a plaster with a dollop of nicotine on it. I did use an E-Cig for a while and it was much better, cheaper and healthier to use.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Providing hurt no on else, providing i keep myself to myself, what business is it f the Governments (Govern Mind) to interfere with my way of life?

I'm not proud but i have had and experienced amazing things on drugs. How dare the Government's condone alcohol but try and spare me the pleasure of mushrooms?

I am NOT telling you how to act but i can talk of my own experiences can't i?
Drugs have shown me amazing and horrible things, it is up to the individual to take what he - or she needs from the experience. Trust me, you will have an experience.

Just as the Shaman of South America.

Who you gonna trust, mother nature or your government?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Why let people enjoy something that relieves stress and helps them relax. I mean if it does that it must be evil.

It is moments like this that actually make me consider the libertarian party.
edit on 27-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There are actually studies showing that e-cigs are relatively safe.
www.fdalawyersblog.com...
This move by NY to ban them is crazy. I could understand it if the state in question was Kentucky or North Carolina where Tobacco interests might influence legislation, but New York? Why, why, why?
A bunch of busybodies I guess.
edit on 27-1-2011 by joechip because: to add link

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I guess I am just sick and tired of the double standards here. If they want to claim regular cigs or e cigs as bad for your health blah blah blah then just make them all illegal and quit taxing the hell out of them, lets call a spade a spade for once. Instead of these things are bad for you and you should not do it but if you are then we are going to financially rape you now please bend over....

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
I love NY. it has a natural beauty many states dont. You think it is a coincedence that the greatest places to live in this country (specifically CA and NY) have been regulated to death?

But somehow, we keep electing morons. I dont think its the states fault, its the citizens fault. Not just local politics either, look at Chuck Schumer, the most rightwing liberal that ever lived, and yet he gets a free pass every election, and probably will until he dies.

Yes the actual state has many beautiful sights to offer, among the many sites that were exploited during the wars and pumped full of toxic waste that the government did. I can show you many places that are pretty here, but don't eat the fish, drink the water, or depend on the quality of the soil for eating plants. And NY isn't one of the greatest places to live, it's called the welfare state for a reason. It was designed to be a cesspool of welfare recipients just look at the stats concerning that vs other states. But I give you a big
on the politics portion, you hit that right on the head.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
E cigs are going to cut into the taxes they receive on the tobacco here now some of the ways to close the gap on the debt is to include your income in your property tax assetment

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
They just want to ban anything they can`t get their money on. The FDA is by far not interested in a healthy America but making money on drugs that don`t help people stop smoking. The FDA is what needs banned in NY. and America.

I`ve been using E-cigs for over a year now and it`s been nothing they need to be concerned with. They work.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with safety. This has to do with money. NY has some of the highest tobacco taxes in the country and the PTPB in NY see this as a potential to cut into their booty.

Let's face facts that it is KNOWN that cigarettes are toxic. Yet, they are sold and heavily taxed. Along comes something not taxable and most likely no worse than tobacco...and it must be demonized and eradicated...until they figure out how to tax it and then it'll be just fine.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Been using one for a couple of weeks now and have to say I am impressed as well. The funny thing about it is the brand I went with is sold out of N Carolina!!! Although I have to say I am not crazy about the different flavored ones.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
This has nothing to do with safety. This has to do with money. NY has some of the highest tobacco taxes in the country and the PTPB in NY see this as a potential to cut into their booty.

Ding ding ding! winner winner winner!

We have a winner folks.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
New York wants to ban electronic cigarettes because New York is a nest of huge pharmaceutical companies that create all the impotent "stop smoking" paraphernalia and drugs.

New York does not want e-cigs because New York is owned by big pharmacy. They want our money.

Electronic cigarettes work... I've used them for over a year with great health improvements.

Pharm aceutical Companies in New York

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by snoochieboochies
I'm not sure what Nicotine Replacement products are like over in the US but here in the UK they are an utter rip off and a weeks supply of patches cost about the same as a weeks supply of cigarettes. They're manufactured by the big pharmaceauticals and probably cost next to nothing to manufacture, after all, it's just a plaster with a dollop of nicotine on it. I did use an E-Cig for a while and it was much better, cheaper and healthier to use.

www.gy3.co.uk...

Cheapest I've found and great!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

Well being a short time user I can say they provide none of the tar and other yucky stuff normal smokes make you cough up. Some times the taste is nasty from the flavored kinds, which is weird because I like to smoke flavored cigars once in a while, but these don't compare to something like that. But then again they don't leave you with a nasty after taste either or aka smokers breath.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
OK yeah have the FDA have a look see. Then Big Pharma can have a cut then the FDA will have a cut. Then the senators that pushed for the FDA to investigate will have a cut. Then it will be deemed medicine and then you will only be able to get it by prescription at twice the price. So you will go back to cigs and die of cancer and make the FDA and Big Pharma really happy...fkrs
edit on 28-1-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Gotta love the monopoly huh? Like many have said as long as they get their tax money for it they will say they are safe for consumption.

top topics

join