It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was I wrong?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
In another forum, a 15 year old showed his desire to join the military, and asked for advice. I probably came off pretty foolish, but I made the point that one should not join the military and support this war. After all the only ones benefiting from it are the elites. I also said that we don't need oil, and that Al Qaeda is probably fictitious. I was also going to insert that possible fact that the opium production in Afghanistan is funded by the CIA, but I held that back.

Turns out that the forum has many soldiers and veterans, and as expected they said I was stupid and ignorant for believing what I hear on the interwebz, and that I should go there for myself and see with my own eyes. This is a sports forum, has nothing to do with conspiracies or military, by the way. That's why I came here, I wanted to hear your side.

So what do you think? Am I wrong? Sometimes I really don't know what the hell to think.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

You know...at risk of alienating my self from some really good folks who happened to unfortunately be involved with the armed or unarmed services of america, I think you did a noble and brave thing. Also, if I may add, I might have put things a little differently, but IMO ya did fine. flag and bump

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

i would advise him that if he wants to see some action then maybe he should join the fire brigade

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I have never been in no military and do not under any circumstances join the military. Its your problem if you do, its very serious stuff.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The kid can't join until he's at least 17, as long as his parents give him permission. So I don't see why you were even discussing it in the first place.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If he asked for advice and you gave it, I see nothing wrong at all. I happen to agree with your stance and your advice, but even if you had advised him to join, I would say you did nothing wrong. He asked for advice, you gave it.
If the other people on the board can't handle it, that's THEIR problem, not yours.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
War is not noble and only serves the interest of the rich.

The war-machine, the military-industrial-complex, is making billions upon billions of dollars every year. Innocent people are dying. Joining that cause is not heroic, it is treacherous and ignorant. The least you can do is educate curious minds as to the truth of war, which you did. Those who are fervent with a blind patriotism refuse to see this truth because of cognitive dissonance, so nevermind arguing with them; you can't show someone the light if they refuse to open their eyes, and even worse when they don't even know their eyes are closed.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This crazy, messed up world is already complex enough. Just call it how you see it and let him decide. I know it can be hard at times to go against the main stream at times, but when they are being idiots what else are you suppose to do?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
Sometimes I really don't know what the hell to think.

You and me both.

I might have taken a slightly different approach by asking what benefits he thought he saw to joining. Based upon that answer, I would have then asked whether there were other opportunities he could compare it against.

I generally find that providing an actual answer to such questions isn't as good as walking someone through the process of finding their own answer.

Otherwise, it doesn't sound like you made a mistake sharing your opinion.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yes you were wrong.

Al’Qa’ida is real, it is a threat, however the media often give out mixed singles about the true nature of Al’Qa’ida.

The western capitalist economies are driven by oil.

Both are legitimate justifications for war in my view.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yeah right. I did the military thing. Check out how many senators have their kids in the military. Check out the same for the rich. Wait till the bodybag comes home. What will the jocks say then? Would I have fought in World war 2?? Yes but that was my decision. All the wars since then have been none of our damn business.

After the parade he can then use his survival skill as a homeless person with mental health problems or to commit suicide. I would have told him "My kids aint go to fight their ( the Govt.) war".

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Thank you all for the responses. I still believe I was right.

Originally posted by kevinunknown

Yes you were wrong.

Al’Qa’ida is real, it is a threat, however the media often give out mixed singles about the true nature of Al’Qa’ida.

The western capitalist economies are driven by oil.

Both are legitimate justifications for war in my view.

I really appreciate your point of view.

I firmly believe that capitalism driven by oil needs to end as discussed in Zeitgeist. Only then can mankind really progress.

As for the terrorist threat, this is where I am at loss. I am all against the spread of Islam, but I'm not 100% sure that it justifies this war.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
In another forum, a 15 year old showed his desire to join the military, and asked for advice. I probably came off pretty foolish, but I made the point that one should not join the military and support this war. After all the only ones benefiting from it are the elites. I also said that we don't need oil, and that Al Qaeda is probably fictitious. I was also going to insert that possible fact that the opium production in Afghanistan is funded by the CIA, but I held that back.

Turns out that the forum has many soldiers and veterans, and as expected they said I was stupid and ignorant for believing what I hear on the interwebz, and that I should go there for myself and see with my own eyes. This is a sports forum, has nothing to do with conspiracies or military, by the way. That's why I came here, I wanted to hear your side.

So what do you think? Am I wrong? Sometimes I really don't know what the hell to think.

When and if someone asks my opinion about joining the military I give an open opinion.

But first I ask a few detailed questions.

In order to be formulate my answer to them.

1) Which branch are your considering, why that branch, and what are you thinking of doing?

2) What are your long term interests in gaining out of this?

3) Where do you see your military career leading you after you get out?

Next I base the my advice upon their answers.

I tell them, specifically, make sure you're going into an M.O.S. that will lead to a permanent job afterwards.

Whether working for someone else or starting your own company.

Consider what it is specifically you do your best and consider that as your "job" within the military.

Make sure and ask your recruiter detailed questions and a few of them are as follows :

1) Does this job have a signing bonus?

2) What does this job have as a civilian equivalent?

3) Will this job see combat?

4) Is there college money for any specific jobs?

5) Does my A.S.V.A.B. score/job experience entitle me to any rank advancements.

I do not support any war built upon lies by my own Government.

This is not to say all wars are buit upon lies.

But I know for a fact my Government has a duplicitous nature and lies.

Just as often as it tells the truth.

It's called propaganda.

They do this against foreign enemies, foreign allies, domestic enemies, and domestic allies.

Personally, warfare is something I see as a means to maintain population control, period.

At one time warfare was only about honor, country, and saving one's own interests.

Now it is only about making money for the rich, the Military Industrial Complex, and Government.

But Government, just like the Military, is only a functionary entity, meant to carry out a purpose.

It is who is directing it that is who we should question, not the entity itself, or those opposing it.

Government, Military, and a country are just like a car or house, without leadership, no one is driving it or owning it.

Profiles in Leadership : Battles For History - Leonidas I, Adolf Hitler, and George W Bush

Come by and check out my newest thread and feel free to know you only shared your opinion.

The person you shared it with will either heed it or not.

And you cannot make their decisions for them only give guidance if necessary.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
War is not noble and only serves the interest of the rich.

Only serves the interest of the rich, huh? As I've said before, you might want to run that by someone that was liberated from a Concentration Camp. I bet they have a different viewpoint as to what is "noble".

Joining that cause is not heroic, it is treacherous and ignorant.

Joining the military is a privlilege. It's an honor.

The least you can do is educate curious minds as to the truth of war, which you did.

Based on what? The OP hasn't served, so he's basing his opinion on what? Something he read on the intardwebz?

Those who are fervent with a blind patriotism refuse to see this truth because of cognitive dissonance, so nevermind arguing with them; you can't show someone the light if they refuse to open their eyes, and even worse when they don't even know their eyes are closed.

Patriots in the military? Yep. Blind patriots? Nope.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
After the parade he can then use his survival skill as a homeless person with mental health problems or to commit suicide. I would have told him "My kids aint go to fight their ( the Govt.) war".

Yeah, right. Because every vet is a homeless basketcase just waiting to commit suicide.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Those who are fervent with a blind patriotism refuse to see this truth because of cognitive dissonance, so nevermind arguing with them; you can't show someone the light if they refuse to open their eyes, and even worse when they don't even know their eyes are closed.

Actually that goes both ways. Some people are just as close minded about things as the "eyes closed" people they criticize. People will believe what they want to believe.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

IMO you gave your opinion so that is good. You question your opinion so that is good.

All of the comments of you haven't been in army so you can't know, well you haven't been invaded to overthrow your bad government, so the military doesn't know. you haven't been prostituting yourself so you can't complain about prostitutes, you haven't screw your own civilians so don't complain about your government. It is an easy way out. focused on the realm of the sayer.

The best you can do is show the boy both sides of the discussion and let him think for himself.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Years ago i would have argued this with but after seeing my brother come home from iraq in the marines with new and ailing mental issues from the stuff that he saw and did while he was there that our military, only training him to do what they wanted him to do instead of training how to deal with those things, i would not condone anyone to join up if they have any other option. don't get me wrong i love my country and am glad i live here but that does not mean that i love the people in our government and the way that it is run.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Very well thought-out response. I wouldn't add or subtract any of these points you've brought up. You've listed many considerations that might not be thought of right off, too.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

So if international trade fails just invade them and take their stuff,as for Alqueda isn't that a CIA multimedia centre?
Well when the revolution happens guess your on the riot polices side.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join