It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's State of the Union Was Tantamount to Plagiarism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Just a nice, all around bashing of Obama's attempt at sounding smart

A great expose of an empty suit trying to be genuine

What an "Obama-nation"

Obama, please report to the Plagiarism department

www.usnews.com...

Obama said that he wanted the nation he leads to be a "light to the world." The last president who set such a mission for the nation he led, and in those exact words, was Woodrow Wilson.

Obama’s concept of the “American family” may well have had its origins in the first State of the State address New York Governor Mario Cuomo delivered in 1983. Cuomo proclaimed the state of New York as a “family.”

In a 1991 Washington, D.C. address sponsored by conservative groups, including the Heritage Foundation, Margaret Thatcher coined a phrase Obama made his own in his second State of the Union address. Thatcher told her American audience that "no other nation has been built upon an idea." In a slightly revised form, Obama, in his second State of the Union address, all but repeated it, using additional words.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
When delivering a political speech, isn't it a good idea to quote famous minds from the past? Especially if they worded it just perfectly? Plagiary is reciting entirely verbatim, not a quote here and there.

Off topic, Obama kissed China's ass too much in that speech. I, as an American, am ashamed at that point.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

For crying out loud. I have some insufferably dumb countrymen. I think maybe you should go back and study some political speeches through the years. There really hasn't been any innovation since Lincoln. it's all full of glittering generalities and feel-good mumble, with an occasional chunk of policy thrown in.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It is far easier to plagiarize former POTUS speeches than it is to tell the truth about the SOTU. People listen to these speeches expecting their tummies to be scratched and expecting to walk away thinking things will eventually get better.

Generally, that's what happens at a SOTU address regardless of the puppet giving said address. It seems the only time that history is looked at for answers is when it gives clues on quelling dissent and keeping the masses in check.

Lord knows history is ignored by most which is why it has that repeating effect.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
When delivering a political speech, isn't it a good idea to quote famous minds from the past? Especially if they worded it just perfectly? Plagiary is reciting entirely verbatim, not a quote here and there.

The point of the article was he tried to pass it off without quoting, which if this was done in the university it would be called plagiarism (shouldn't Obama know this being a constitutional scholar?)
edit on 27-1-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Honestly, I don't care if he plagiarizes better minds more visionary than his own.

What should really upset people is how meaningless any of those words he selected are to him.

edit on 27-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I tried to avoid the speech at all costs. I just can't take the strafing of machine gunned lies.

I heard nothing about 'change', ie., repealing the patriot act, or telling the truth about what went down that day to cause a political crisis we are still bound to observe, or else. I heard nothing about obama admitting he poisoned the water by giving halliburton nondisclosure fracking rights. Nothing. All the issues were garbage designed to spread the MIC with 'a computer in every home, or a cellular for every citizen' etc... It was disgusting.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well like him or dislike him.. and Im on the dislike side.. the guy is NO dummy. He has the skill to write his own speeches IMO and he better think about doing so because his speech writers are about to get him laughed out of the White House. I will be incredibly impressed if I see the next president write his or her OWN speech and tell us in their own words what the state of the country is and their own ideas on how to do things. Whatta concept.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Weak sauce thread.

I suspect THE ONLY President who failed to quote former Presidents was George Washington.

He also made several attributed quotes of JFK. It seems to me Political quotes are often used as contextual references.

BTW, you forgot to mention the REAL CRIME. All those overdue library books from 6th grade. :shk:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Originally posted by kinda kurious
....the REAL CRIME. All those overdue library books from 6th grade. :shk:

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Weak sauce thread.

For the most part, I agree.

edit on 27-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

Off topic, Obama kissed China's ass too much in that speech. I, as an American, am ashamed at that point.

Quoting them would be fine, IF he gave credit to the original speaker, which he didn't do. "As Reagan said...", sure. Using those words as his own? Wrong, unethical.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Well like him or dislike him.. and Im on the dislike side.. the guy is NO dummy. He has the skill to write his own speeches IMO and he better think about doing so because his speech writers are about to get him laughed out of the White House. I will be incredibly impressed if I see the next president write his or her OWN speech and tell us in their own words what the state of the country is and their own ideas on how to do things. Whatta concept.

I'm sure Ron Paul would write his own speech and doesn't need any speech writers. How much is that costing the tax payer, by the way, to have speech writers? I'm just amazed at how many people claim Obama is a good speaker when he uses a teleprompter non-stop.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

This seems to border on near mental illness.

The phrase and the concept of the "American family" has been around forever.

And the observation that the United States was built upon an "idea"?...Geez I learned that in high school history class in 25 years ago. It is an observation and to my knowledge observations haven't been copyrighted.

This is like claiming someone is plagiarizing for saying "America is the land of the free"

Honestly...slightly bizzare and unhinged claim.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
I'm sure Ron Paul would write his own speech and doesn't need any speech writers. How much is that costing the tax payer, by the way, to have speech writers? I'm just amazed at how many people claim Obama is a good speaker when he uses a teleprompter non-stop.

Wow it is obvious to see your logic pool has no deep end. EVERY President has staff, writers etc. A teleprompter is nothing more than a visual aid to deliver message and remain on topic. I've seen President Obama speak off the cuff and extemporaneously and he is every bit as eloquent.

Granted he is no GW Bush at mangling sentences and providing fodder to the press but in this day and age of communication poise and a calm demeanor go a long way to instill confidence and resolve. You might as well get used to.

edit on 28-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join