It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests Grow to 16,000 in Yemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Article

Reuters witnesses estimated that around 16,000 Yemenis demonstrated in four parts of Sanaa in the largest rally since a wave of protests rocked Yemen last week, and protesters vowed to escalate the unrest unless their demands were met.

"If the (ruling) party doesn't respond to our demands, we will escalate this until the president falls, just like what happened in Tunisia," said protester Ayub Hassan.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b9cd9eefa19b.jpg[/atsimg]

Ive been watching the situation in Yemen for a little bit over a week now. I made a thread when the protests first began, but they were somewhat small-sized protests, which an article estimated at 2,500 protesters. Now the number is estimated around 16,000.

The military used mortars on the protesters last weeks, but in the article from today, the police watched the protests silently, atleast according to the article.

Tunisia, Lebanon, Egypt, Algeria, Yemen.....whos next?

Yemen's ruling party ran a competing pro-government protest that gathered only a few hundred supporters, witnesses said.

16,000 vs a few hundred.....

edit on 27-1-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The issues in Yemen, and Lebanon have fallen under the surface with all that is going on in Egypt. Events are happening quickly. Decades of pent up repression can explode quickly. Autocratic governments around the region a month ago seemed firmly in power, but today the same tyrants tremble. If Yemen falls to revolution then Saudi Arabia will in danger of following suit. The Obama administration seems to be surprised. They are caught between their rhetoric of reform, and their policies of tyranny. If Obama gives military aid to suppress the Egyptian revolution he will prove he is the same as an tyrant in the region. What about Iraq in all this? The US military occupation prevents widespread revolt, but what happens if regional allies fall one by one. Will the US act militarily to ensure regional hegemony, or possible use Israel as a dog of war?
edit on 27-1-2011 by stephinrazin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

I would guess Egypt has been topping the list because its protests are one of the biggest in the region at the moment. I was really suprised to see this article on the front page of Yahoo.coms news, with its own "breaking news" box. (Yahoo is set as my homepage)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Heres a link about what the Yemen government says about the protests.Yemen isn't Tunisia, government says

SANAA, Yemen, Jan. 27 (UPI) -- Yemen doesn't need chaos and abuses of democracy, the country's interior minister said as protesters chanted anti-government slogans Thursday in Sanaa.

Abuses of democracy.....isnt the Yemen government full of corruption?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Edgar Cayce's World War III prophecy: 'He spoke of strifes arising near the Davis Straits, and in Libya, and in Egypt, in Ankara, and in Syria; through the straits around those areas above Australia, in the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf."'

Only intent is to give a bit of insight. Positive thought helps, it's how we create our realities.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You can only suppress people for so long until they get tired of being kicked to the curb. Yemen is very poor and corrupt, it sounds like they've had enough. Maybe this is a chance for them to change things for the better, It's unfortunate it has to come to this.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Police in Yemen fires on protesters! I think this isn't covered enough by media and it shouldn't remain that way.
I hope this thread can get back to life since protests are still ongoing and it seems like it's getting really violent.

As anti-government protests escalate in Yemen, revolutionaries have taken control of two major cities in the north and east of the country. The protesters reportedly took over al-Jawf, which borders Saudi Arabia in the northeast on Monday. Three soldiers were killed during clashes in the city. At least 40 people were injured in the capital after police opened fire on protesters on Monday.

Aljazeera

new topics

top topics

join