It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you noticed the moon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Thanks, yeah that's my video from Jupiter's latest opposition. I would have had the entire Io transit from beginning to end, but the first part of the video was deleted when ustream.tv banned me for "copyright infringment" as I was broadcasting and recording it. They eventually re-instated my account but said that my video could not be recovered. I recorded the rest of it offline.
edit on 31-1-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
The next day I went online and searched for news of this event, every single moon phase graphic showed the moon lit on the left or right, NOT on the bottom. Knowing the importance of the moon to mariners I went to the US navy web site and sure enough they had current moon phase posted, the crescent was on the side, not the bottom.

Moon phase graphics do not show you the apparent orientation of the moon from an alt-az perspective. They never have and they never will; the apparent orientation is dependent on field rotation which in turn is dependent on YOUR location, the time of night, and the location of the moon in the sky. Moon phase graphics are designed to provide universal information on the phase of the moon for everyone regardless of location. Only the actual phase of the moon and not its orientation can be communicated in that fashion.

I honestly can't explain why it isn't in the news or on the front page of every astronomy web site, it certainly should be.

Because amateur astronomers (not to mention professionals) know that this is normal and routine. Just ask these guys:
www.cloudynights.com...

I also can't explain why no moon phase graphic exists with the crescent anywhere but left or right of center.

If you think that's how the moon should look regardless of its location in the sky and your location on earth, then please explain this photo from 1980:
www.flickr.com/photos/49799541@N04/4569406569/
If you claim this isn't a case of you just never having noticed before, then why didn't you notice this over 30 years ago?

*Edit to add, here too is "wet Venus." As mentioned before, field rotation affects everything in the sky, including planets. This is particularly obvious when viewing an inner planet that goes through crescent phases such as Venus. The image is inverted by the telescope, but otherwise its orienation in terms of rotation is what your eyes would see if they could see Venus at this resolution.
www.ustream.tv...
edit on 31-1-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Because amateur astronomers (not to mention professionals) know that this is normal and routine. Just ask these guys:

Normal and routine? lol thats a first one i heard.
Sorry but the way the moon has been acting i dont think its normal or routine.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I love the title of this thread.

And to answer.. Yes, yes I have noticed the moon.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by ngchunter
[more

Normal and routine? lol thats a first one i heard.
Sorry but the way the moon has been acting i dont think its normal or routine.

Yes, it's normal and routine, hence the thirty year old photo showing the same thing happening, hence the old terminology that describes the same apparent orientation, hence video showing the moon is right where it should be ( www.ustream.tv... ). Do you think amateurs like me are too incompetent to notice if anything is wrong with the moon or do you think myself and others are just liars?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

I appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to explain this, you obviously know what you're talking about. I also appreciate the manner in which you presented the information, you have made your point without insulting anyone and that makes your information even more credible.
I can't explain why some of us see unusual things lately and others don't, if I was the only one in this area who found it strange I would accept the "you never noticed before" explaination.
I don't know if this is an atmospheric illusion or something confined to a certain part of the globe, I just know it wasn't something I have seen before.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
desert SW here and I haven't seen the moon in days. but I'm not complaining, the darker skies allow me to see the nellis range very good at night. they are running some sort of red flag op now. pretty sweet to see fighter jets at a very far distance do highspeed verticle climbs. so piss on the moon as far as I'm concerned!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
to understand that moon smiley face ...it's the old flashlight and a tennis ball scenario.....the sun, when it goes around to the almost morning position... the moon will be smiling if it's in the west!...
now, what moonbeast is saying.....very interesting, and we couldn't know for awhile......and polaris is still steady as the north star....it never shows apparent motion.....and my biblical prophecy studies allow for this, too!
....( signs in the sun, moon and heavens)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I HAVE to reply to all the people that are saying "Stellarium software says the moon should be in one place but the moon is behaving strangely and is in the wrong place!" do you think that just may be the Stellarium software is off kilter instead

And yes...I think I first noticed the moon when I was about 18 months old?
edit on 1-2-2011 by Versa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join