It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Body Clock Discovered That Helps Keep All Living Things on Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

The mechanism that controls the internal 24-hour clock of all forms of life from human cells to algae has been identified by scientists.Not only does the research provide important insight into health-related problems linked to individuals with disrupted clocks -- such as pilots and shift workers -- it also indicates that the 24-hour circadian clock found in human cells is the same as that found in algae and dates back millions of years to early life on Earth.

Source

No wonder whenever I worked third shift no matter how much sleep I would get,I would never feel fully rested.
possible explanation with this new finding.I hope it can lead to new therapies for anyone who may suffer from disrupted clocks as the article proposes.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
now i know why i would wake up 5 minutes b4 my alarm would go off in the morning

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

interesting, but what about people who follow alternative sleep routines to the t?

This system of sleeping (aka Da Vinci sleep or Uberman sleep) uses short naps to reduce total sleep time to 2-5 hours a day. This is achieved by implementing many 20-30 minute naps throughout the day. Advocates say that polyphasic sleep allows for more productive awake hours. Though there are many variations of this form of sleep, a common schedule would be: 30 minute naps every fourth hour.

www.blifaloo.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Great thread I definatelly think its true and I also think my clock is way out I could do with the therapy to sort it out.
Maybe are internal clocks are intentionally being damaged

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pleasetryagain
now i know why i would wake up 5 minutes b4 my alarm would go off in the morning

Last year while my girlfriend wasn't working, we'd sleep in until about 10-15 minutes before 10am.

We'd lay there and talk for a little bit.

On her side of the bed on the floor, covered so the light wouldn't keep us up--was the clock.

Every morning for a week, I'd tell her RIGHT when it hit 10 oclock. Thing is, I could practically feel it. It was the feeling when you had a word on the tip of your tongue and couldn't quite place it--then it all of a sudden came to you. It was just like that only very slight.

She was blown away. There are more factors leading into this--like me having to do a specific chore every morning at 10am for the last 5 years, but still, it was cool.

Everyone has it, so it will be interesting to see what TPTB do with this information. It seems it can be used to wreak havoc on our internal clocks and create chaos...perhaps...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I remember years ago watching science programme on TV where they said that the natural human body clock is set at 36 hours not 24. If true not sure how that fits in with everything.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by emptyOmind

interesting, but what about people who follow alternative sleep routines to the t?

This system of sleeping (aka Da Vinci sleep or Uberman sleep) uses short naps to reduce total sleep time to 2-5 hours a day. This is achieved by implementing many 20-30 minute naps throughout the day. Advocates say that polyphasic sleep allows for more productive awake hours. Though there are many variations of this form of sleep, a common schedule would be: 30 minute naps every fourth hour.

www.blifaloo.com...

Circadian rhythms are a phenomena that have been known to science for a little while now. The thing about them is that they are not precise. Scientists in fact discovered that they have variations between individuals as well as between days. For humans, cycles were found to lie between 23-27 hours, averaging 25 (not 24) hours. As well, they can adapt to external stimuli quite well and relatively quickly. I don't think that such inherent differences are all that surprising, really.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pleasetryagain

I know what you mean exactly,Once on a particular schedule I would always wake up prior to my alarm going off.
biological alarm clock

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by emptyOmind

Good question...I would assume that there is a set biological clock within but I am sure there is the possibility of resetting your circadian rhythm given over a long,consistent time period?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JDofENGLAND

Anything is possible.I do know electromagnetic interference can disrupt sleep cycles among other biological mechanisms & function.( i.e.- Anxiety,depression,paranoia, Aural/visible hallucinations )

new topics

top topics

join