It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello all!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have been lurking here on and off over the past 4 years. I finally decided to join so that when I feel the desire to ask a question or post a comment, I am now able to do so.

A little about me: I am a skeptic; though I love reading about any and everything. I am like a sponge when it comes to learning, which is probably why my mind is so convoluted. I have a fairly open mind, but am not gullible. My sweetie tells me that I am over-analytical, which is probably true.

I (like many people in the United States) recently got laid off so I am back in school working towards a Psychology and Criminology degree. I see the world in shades of gray as opposed to black and/or white, though my own personal biases sometimes blind me.

I believe in showing kindness to all, for you never know the kind of life that others have had.

I believe organized religion is destructive. Having grown up in a cult like (ever heard of independent fundamental baptists?) religion, I have witnessed the evils of religion first hand. However, I would not say that I am an atheist; rather more of an agnostic, for I do not believe the notion of "god(s)" can be proven either way.

I absolutely love this site and the intellecuals who are on it. It's intriguing to me that a site that started out for conspiracy theorists has evolved into a "thinktank" of mutliple mindsets. Some of the most intellectual things that I have read have been on here, and I have found some other great sites from links in people's threads.

That's probably enough for now. I don't foresee myself posting too often as what I have to say is usually already posted by a member who writes much more eloquently than I do.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AthenaV

Hi AthenaV, and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-ProfileBackgrounds

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

ATS Video Tutorials

Signature Guidelines

Terms & Conditions

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Hefficide,
ATS member and Moderator.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AthenaV

AthenaV, welcome to ATS you seem to possess a pleasent heart that I am sure will be appreciated on the boards.
Be well

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AthenaV

Welcome. I'm new as well. But you should find plenty to read and opine about.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Hey, sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders their. There are defiantly lots of stories, points of view and sometimes more questions than answers. Thinking in shades of grey can be tough at times because you do need to take a lot more in to consider all the implications, but it does help to get to a much more appropriate answer than the straight black and white thinking that sometimes goes on. There are some topics that fit right in with your studies and it would be good to hear your opinion, as well as on other stuff you might know about. Hope your studies goes well and take care.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
same here AthenaV - been viewing this forum for years and got very useful information...been out in awhile thoug but good thing I became active again!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AthenaV

Welcome! It will be good to have your input.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Thank you all for the kind words.

Originally posted by kwakakev
Thinking in shades of grey can be tough at times because you do need to take a lot more in to consider all the implications,

It does indeed cause one to take longer to make decisions. This past semester when I was taking a philosophy class, I inadvertently found a shortcut. I was reading a bit of Sartre's works and have decided that when making decisions, I need to be certain that I would expect all to make the same decision. This has helped me immensely.

I really enjoy philosophy and psychology, for I truly do have a "bleeding heart" and desire to rescue people. I went to a psychic once (just for fun...I took it with a grain of salt) and she told me that I would probably die trying to save somebody. However, she also told me that I have a bluish white "aura" and that paranormal entities were attracted to me.
I've never had any experience with the paranormal so I found that to be a bit odd. I do have vivid dreams, but I also have a fantastic imagination.

new topics

top topics

join