It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Social Security the next thing to be cut or taken away?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
As the topic of mental depression has come up numerous times I would like to remind everyone that downplaying depression is irresponsible and dangerous.

As far as SS goes..... If you are recieving SS via faudulent means ...... shame on you, you are a thief.

If you are recieving SS legitimately for a disability ....... then I am happy that there is some form of safety net for the members of our society that truley need it now and the many that will need it in the future.

As far as SS retirement payments ........ well all I can say is ......... a deal is a deal.
edit on 28-1-2011 by deepred because: cuz

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepred
As the topic of depression has come up numerous times I would like to remind everyone that downplaying depression is irresponsible and dangerous.

As far as SS goes..... If you are recieving SS via faudulent means ...... shame on you.

If you are recieving SS legitimately for a disability ....... then I am happy that there is some form of safety net for the members of our society that truley need it.
edit on 28-1-2011 by deepred because: juscuz

It's not that the topic of Depression keeps coming up, it the topic of Depression won't go away. Even though my country is fairing at lot better, the same rat bastards that went bust on Wall St also have shares in every bank in Oz. So nobody will be immune ftom the wrath of the Banksters.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

Originally posted by deepred
As the topic of depression has come up numerous times I would like to remind everyone that downplaying depression is irresponsible and dangerous.

As far as SS goes..... If you are recieving SS via faudulent means ...... shame on you.

If you are recieving SS legitimately for a disability ....... then I am happy that there is some form of safety net for the members of our society that truley need it.
edit on 28-1-2011 by deepred because: juscuz

It's not that the topic of Depression keeps coming up, it the topic of Depression won't go away. Even though my country is fairing at lot better, the same rat bastards that went bust on Wall St also have shares in every bank in Oz. So nobody will be immune ftom the wrath of the Banksters.

While I do agree with your post, I was speaking of mental depression rather than economic depression. previous posts have made light of mental depression as something other than the very serious condition that it is.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

They also need to revise the rules allowing people to work and not lose benefits.

This. If benefits decrease as your income increases, they should decrease at a rate so that its always more profitable to work more than to work less.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Dreamseeker, I have an idea for you that no one has come up with yet. A man in your country named Matt Lesko has written a great book called "Free Money For Everybody!"

In this book are thousands of ideas & programs that help people like yourself to receive government grants (that's money that doesn't need to be repaid) & loans (which do need to be repaid) to start their own businesses. Social Security also has the PASS program (Plan to Achieve Self-Sufficiency) which you probably have already heard of, which also helps people like yourself to start businesses. It takes money to make money, & in spite of today's hard luck & tight credit there is money available. I wish you all success. The book may be on loan for free at your local library; if not, there are book clubs such as Quality Paperback Books that will possibly send you one for free just for becoming a member. I wish you all success. It sure keeps one from worrying about one's future if one has a plan to work things out.

For the rest of you, this same book has grants & loans available that the able-bodied can apply for to start businesses as well. In times like these when it is an employer's market for what few jobs are available it can be far preferable to become one's own master.

Some of the posters on this thread have a great grasp of the problems facing Social Security today. There are similar problems in Europe. Check out the British newspapers on line such as the Telegraph which tell of the austerity measures being implemented- things are tough all over.

As to the sorts who think that disabled people are parasites for having to collect on benefits that they paid for, an old saying comes to mind: "We mock the thing we are to be".

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
You'll probably have social security til you die, so I wouldn't worry about it. I, on the other hand, am in my mid-20s, and there's no way on God's green earth than I am ever going to have social security.

You don't need to worry, and my generation knows it's coming and will be preparing for it. It's the 40 year olds like my parents that I worry about :/

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Social Security WAS cut.

If you become Disabled and apply for SSDI...and get approved...You NOW have to wait 5 months from your approval Letter before they will start paying you. NO, they don't "backpay" back to your approval date anymore either.

I was Disabled by a Doctor with a knife. I've been paying into Social Security since I was 16 and have had 2 jobs paying into it for decades.

To the new Generation of Americans out there reading this... GET AFLAC Disability Insurance! Have 6 months of wages stashed away for when you get Disabled!!

SSDI will not immediately help ANYONE!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I starred this post and I'm surprised more didn't. The family unit is no longer united. There was a time when our parents were taken care of in their old age as well as they took care of us in our childhood. We need to get back to our beginnings. What has happened that we allow our parents and grandparents to struggle by without the basic necessities? Shame on us! If family units were doing what is right rather than what is convenient there would be very little need for nursing homes. There would be very few elderly doing without heat, food, or medications. The need to succeed at all costs, including at the expense of our elderly or disabled is beyond sad. While I do understand the need to make enough money to support ones family and self, I do not understand the drive to be wealthy while leaving our elders in the dust.

edit on 28/1/2011 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I find it interesting that the media and BigGov have implied that social security and medicare are "welfare".

Excuse me, but I and my employer have been FORCED to pay into these programs all my life. The media would have you believe that under medicare that you have FREE health coverage. Not only do you pay into it while you are working, you pay AFTER you retire. It costs $115 a month for part B per month and $35 a month for part D per month. That gives you PARTIAL medical coverage. If you want REAL coverage you must purchase a private medi-gap policy at about $100 per month. So your FREE medical coverage costs you $250 per month out of your meager Social Security check. Even then you have co-pays, as well.

Most of the young people don't seem to have the cognative ability to see they are being mis-led to attack the old as slackers and "useless eaters" deserving an early death to conserve "limited resources". I understand the inability of them to understand that they are creating their own demise. I also understand that if the older generation hadn't been creative and productive the young would not have the privilage to be the mindless spoiled brats they have become.

Quite honestly, I don't care what they do to social security anymore. I should point out to the young that IF you do have a so-called private investment account in place of social security, BigGov will find some way to steal you blind by the time you get to retire at 75 or 85 years old. What goes around comes around kid-o.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by snowman9364

Privatized? Come on, you must be drinking the Republicore Kool-Aide
. I am not attacking you, only thinking out loud with you. I use to think that SS should be privatized, because heck, who couldn't earn more money in the market. Unfortunately, what is really going on is simple. Uber rich folks buy all the politicians, ergo the government, and slowly implement laws that favor them and their shifty methods via banks, like Goldman Sachs.

1. SS is a mathematical improbability to support increasing number off people who will need it. Further, the SS is currently being borrowed from (hence running in a deficit) to put out fires in other parts of government mismanagement.

www.businessweek.com...

SS will fail and as we will all to soon realize, despite the intentions as sold to us, was really a literal tax, which took money from people and spent it not to the benefit of those it was taken from.

2. Privatizing SS, meaning putting it in control of someone else, like a bank or broker, would essentially be no different. Most people, and this argument should work for 403b's, etc., rely on a not so savvy investor picking baskets of investments provided by a firm. Then, you fair as the market fairs, plus or minus your picks. The risk is in the market overall and how healthy it is. Market crash = kiss your money good bye. As most people who are aware of market crashes learn, market crashes are orchestrated by those with money to take more money from those with no clue or sense of what they are doing. Additionally, when you are locked into an investment vehicle like a 401k, you can't just easily take your money out - not to mention the 30% penalty for doing an early withdrawal (20 taxes + 10 early fee).

If that doesn't do it, as people around the world are finding out, when banks or governments fail, the IMF comes in and ultimately takes either your pension fund, here it will be the investment vehicles, or in past cases, your gold, to repay the debt and fund new austerity measures.

Anyway, I am sure a solution exists, but the reality is, currently, people are out to get your money. Be it the government or the banksters. I am not totally a, sky is falling kind of guy, but this current method of economics and preparation for our future is a scam and has to stop.

Thanks, for allowing me a morning vent. Coffee has kicked in - okay now.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
. I also understand that if the older generation hadn't been creative and productive the young would not have the privilage to be the mindless spoiled brats they have become.

Who poisoned America pouring all those chemicals all over prior to Hazardous Materials laws? Baby Boomers.
Who allowed Congress to use the Social Security Trust Fund for Federal Appropriations of Congress? Baby Boomers.

Who got the good Federal Civil Service retirement system prior to Reagan when those people retire they make 75% of their wages? Baby Boomers. The new Generation gets FERS, which consists of Social Security as their Federal retirement.

Who allowed DOD to build 11 aircraft carrier battle groups we can't afford? Baby Boomers.

Who sent all manufacturing/jobs to China? Baby Boomers.

Who ended American Dairy Farming by allowing powdered milk imports from 3rd world dirt holes? Baby Boomers.

Who allowed their country to use Agent Orange which ended up destroying their kids DNA/crippling them? Baby Boomers.

Who sent the US National Wealth to China? Baby Boomers.

Who ended Federal Wage Grade (Blue Collar) civil service jobs to opt for cheaper contracted Federal Labor ending the middle class? Baby Boomers.

Who's spoiled? Baby Boomers.

They destroyed their country with pollution. Destroyed their kids very DNA poisoning them. They bankrupted their country. They made their country hated by the world. They ended the middle class. They sent their country into poverty.

Now +70 million Baby Boomers want this Generation to pay a new mandatory Federal Tax called ObamaCare in 2014 so there's enough Federal Revenue to fund Social Security.

We all know who was really spoiled. The question is how much more can this Generation take before they start cracking.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It has to.
The numbers don't add up to show that it can continue.
Something has to give.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
To be honest I hope social security gets taken away. Why? Being 20 years old I will never see it in my life. Yet I get docked over 1000$ every year for it. I have student loans, a 222 a month bill for car insurance(bare minimum coverage) and I make 815 an hour. Being a young person in todays society is already hard enough and I don't think it's fair for me to throw away money for a program that has no benefit for me. I feel for people who rely on it but it's not fair to the workers who will never reap the benefits of social security.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
All present day politicians are saying (a twist on John Lennon) is "Give war a chance", instead of "Give peace a chance" .

Endless wars I may add.

Perhaps if our military/industrial complex wasn't trying to dominate and destroy peoples world wide and squandering our resources on anything other then defense. Our status quo is now mainly are about profiteering and power.

Then we as the so called best and richest country in the world could use our resources for the betterment of our country and Americans of all ages.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I can only hope so.. id certainly like my $5k I paid into it last year back.. id direct it into my own retirement investments and be far more secure in my own retirement.

People survived before ss was around, they'd suck it up and get along just fine without it in
the future.

And please note this OP since I sound all mean and uncaring about your "disability" ..

You type just fine. There are many jobs where you sit and type. Or talk on the phone and type. Even jobs where your on the phone, type, and type on ats (like what I'm doing at this ver min) I even have 2 guys in my office wheel chair bound.

Can't leave the house? There are jobs from home in customer service, medical coding, etc, etc..

Get over it. Get a job. Damn, I still sound mean and uncaring...
edit on 1/27/2011 by Rockpuck because: blah blah blah

You know, there are a lot of jobs just like that and that and that -
no, wait, have you heard of NAFTA? Uninformed people should be forced to put up links to prove their points, I'd really like to see yours. I don't see people like you hiring the handicapped, just spouting
because someone told you it was sign of intelligent life. But I will say this:
people should be allowed to opt out and in depending on their desired or projected needs and wants. And those that opt out that all the sudden get brain damage, let's say you Rockpuck, get Alzheimer's or Dementia, should be left to your devices with your little bit of monies. See, I'm a firm believer that until it happens to you, you will say the darnest things. Just remember, you are one road rage, car accident or terrorist threat from being like the people you make fun of.
Now OP, I have two family members, both mentally challenged, who finally got their benefits. It was an uphill battle, but anything worth having is worth fighting for. You really should always look into the rules and regs because you get more or less depending on your disability. Also there are lawyers who will assist you, just go to your court system's web resources, pretty handy now a days.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Right.

I truely understand how hard it is for the brats to face reality.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by unidentifiednga
To be honest I hope social security gets taken away. Why? Being 20 years old I will never see it in my life. Yet I get docked over 1000$ every year for it. I have student loans, a 222 a month bill for car insurance(bare minimum coverage) and I make 815 an hour. Being a young person in todays society is already hard enough and I don't think it's fair for me to throw away money for a program that has no benefit for me. I feel for people who rely on it but it's not fair to the workers who will never reap the benefits of social security.

If it does then you will get a new tax to add to your car, insurance, living expenses - The Poor Tax.
Oh yes, if you think for one second that they are just going to murder everyone on social security just for you, you've got another thing coming. Oh btw, those on social security have been paying into it as well - where do you get the idea they are on a free ride? Besides, just because it doesn't benefit you now doesn't mean it won't benefit you in the long run.
Hmm, something you pay for and don't complain about that never benefits you unless something happens:
Let's take the ponsy scheme of car insurance for example: They force you to pay it in order to operate a car. If you don't you are fined. If you have an accident and you don't have it, you are fined, jailed or both, not to mention the damages you will have to pay for the other person's medical bills, property and lost wages. And get this: What the hell do you get back if you haven't had an accident in 5 years? 10 years? Absolutely NOTHING.
Sorry, but I don't see your point, unless you drive so bad you use your insurance to the hilt, which I doubt or the insurance companies would make sure you cannot drive. Hey they have lobbysts.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slan1
All present day politicians are saying (a twist on John Lennon) is "Give war a chance", instead of "Give peace a chance" .

Endless wars I may add.

Perhaps if our military/industrial complex wasn't trying to dominate and destroy peoples world wide and squandering our resources on anything other then defense. Our status quo is now mainly are about profiteering and power.

Then we as the so called best and richest country in the world could use our resources for the betterment of our country and Americans of all ages.

You are sooo correct.

While some here on this thresd want to kill their parents off to save social security, they don't realize that all these wars is where we are really waisting money. The US involvement in every country around the world is killing us financialy.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Why is it always the young in good health, working at good jobs, many who just can't see down the line to their old age and they now object to Social Security and Medicare.

Without these programs in their retirement years some of them will have become disabled, mentally ill, and just plain broke and on the streets and now they dont believe it can happen to them, But, I assure you it will and they will be the biggest whiners without safety nets they will need to survive.

They are apathic and If they don't gather together and fight for their future Social Security and Medicare, Yes by not fighting they will have no chance of getting it or probably anything else at all that they have paid into.

Then they will become the truly and completely useless eaters they and their future society has created for them.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

cut it all or rework who gets what?

Rework SS, get rid of Medicare and especially Medicaid.

how do you distinguish....

Those that pay into the system should have their funds put into their account and let it be invested depending on the risk they choose. Let the Government ensure that anything YOU put in, cannot be depleted through falling markets. So the worst you can see is stagnation. All 401K's should be rolled into SS as well, and a law needs to be in place to stop any funds for any reason being withdrawn to fund other aspects of the Govenrment.

Those that do not pay into the system, or did not pay enough, can be subsidized but at a low standard rate.

Anyone not over 60 would never be able to collect, unless you're disabled and paid into the system, you can only withdraw from your own account. Much like an annuity.

That's how I'd set it up anyways.

(this method also allows hundreds of billions to be put into equity markets, allowing capital to expand business, which provides jobs, which lowers unemployment, which increases tax revenue, which = a better life for everyone.)
edit on 1/28/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join