It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sesame Street - Bug out bag - Preparing the nation for megaquake?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Now c'mon folks. Shouldn't kids JUST BE children? What the heck is this all about?
("Need an extra dose of Ritalin this morning Bobby and Sally?)

This is beyond acceptable. Like the OP in the video suggests...is this a warning? A conditioning program? An Illuminati mind-game on the next generation?

The biggest thing we had to do as a kid was learn to learn to stop, drop and roll in case of a fire! But kids are listening to 'emergency bag' commercials? Why are they instilling so much fear in them?

I do subscribe to PoliticalSeer and DO realize, he's all about 'doom' for the most part but..... his information IS true. Now whether his opinions and interpretations are, remains to be seen.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I will provide you a S+F only because my family has BOB's. But instead of canoes we have ammo and firearms. Plus a years worth of food storage.
Interesting take on it though.

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What was the biggest criticism of Katrina??? People weren't ready for it.

What is the main job of FEMA??? Emergency preparedness.

So they are providing instructional videos to help families prepare....how very evil of them.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Star for you!!
Its better to be the guy with a smoke detecter then being the guy with no smoke detecter who falls asleep after a few valiums.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

So they are providing instructional videos to help families prepare....how very evil of them.

You're missing the point. If they had this commercial on during Dr Phil, Jay Leno or even American Idol then....fine. But why should a three-year-old, whose probably ALL alone watching this with his dinner on his lap because his parents are busy on the computer or iPhone.....have to watch this or even be exposed to it?

It's OUR duty as parents, to protect the children and spare them as much as possible. Parents should have emergency items at hand and NOT worry the children over it. It's NOT necessary if the parental figures are doing their due-diligence and raising their children properly. Yes, show them where the fire escape route is but why worry them about 'big-people problems'?

What's next? Warning a four-year old over the dangers of AIDS/HIV?

It's uncalled for.
And we worry why these kids are so wound up?

LET THEM BE KIDS. Even being kids, playing unsupervised in the park with a stick and their imaginations have changed!! So let them hang on to the little 'freedom of being children devoid worry" that they still possess and that includes watching TV without worrying.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

Star for you!!
Its better to be the guy with a smoke detecter then being the guy with no smoke detecter who falls asleep after a few valiums.

You too don't see my point.

Smoke detectors, flashlights, canned food, gasoline in the tank etc are OUR ISSUES and are a GREAT IDEA.
It's not the concern of the 2-10 year old demographic audience whose watching Sesame Street!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

But this puts it in perspective for kids when mommy and daddy do have BOB's. Mommy and Daddy packing stuff in case of an emergency can be scary. But if Grover is doing it, then the kid can relate to whatever pressures are creating the BOB's in the first place.
Your heart is in the right place though, kids should be kids. Kids should know nothing but fun, food, and hugs.

I just wish the world would allow it.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

No...I see your point,I just disagree.
Ignorance in any form is still ignorance.
Do you disagree with boy scouts as well....its kinda the same thing??

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

But this puts it in perspective for kids when mommy and daddy do have BOB's. Mommy and Daddy packing stuff in case of an emergency can be scary. But if Grover is doing it, then the kid can relate to whatever pressures are creating the BOB's in the first place.
Your heart is in the right place though, kids should be kids. Kids should know nothing but fun, food, and hugs.

I just wish the world would allow it.

Well, if Mommy and Daddy do have to bolt in case there's an actual emergency I would hope they would still play it down and say "Bobby and Sally, we're going bye-bye and taking a little vacation....."

I hope to hell Mommy and Daddy won't turn around to the kids in the back seat (in their booster seats) and say "Bobby and Sally, it looks like life as we know it, is about to change"

Earthquakes, hurricanes etc have ALWAYS been prevalent in and around the world. So why now worry the children about it unless they know something or....it's a tactic of conditioning, worrying and stressing.
All I see from this is a guarantee in the boost of pharmaceutical sales when these 'kids' reach adulthood!

Katrina was NOT the fault of the people being unprepared!!! So please, educate yourself a bit on that. It was the EMERGENCY departments who took their time in the rescue effort.
Two thousand people didn't die because they forgot to pack a flashlight!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

No...I see your point,I just disagree.
Ignorance in any form is still ignorance.
Do you disagree with boy scouts as well....its kinda the same thing??

Boy scouts have at least mastered, potty training!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

What's next? Warning a four-year old over the dangers of AIDS/HIV?

That's actually a good idea too. I told my son, before going into preschool about the dangers of sharing foods, and biting. Some young kids are still biting and might have something that could make other children ill.

One of the kids he knew, found a used needle in a park and accidently poked himself with it. Because his mom had also told him of the dangers of blood born diseases, this 6 year old knew to tell his mom what poked him, and they were at the doctor's making sure he was OK, monitoring his health for the next year.

Kids need to be aware. They're surprisingly resilient. They aren't very fearful, even if they know about stuff that scares us.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Star for you!!

You too don't see my point.

Smoke detectors, flashlights, canned food, gasoline in the tank etc are OUR ISSUES and are a GREAT IDEA.
It's not the concern of the 2-10 year old demographic audience whose watching Sesame Street!

I always enjoy hearing your perspective and thank you for bringing this to our attention, I mostly agree with you here. I have a child in the upper end of that demographic so I have some perspective. My child has a high IQ and is in the gifted program at school so perhaps that makes me look at this differently, conversations swing from toys and kid stuff to where I would swear I was talking wit a 30 year old. My child knows what I have done in preparation and some other things I would like to do, no big secrets.

My thinking is that if something happens, while other kids are terrified, mine will be scared but also comforted by the knowledge that there is food, water, and other supplies. I think each parent needs to determine what level of information is appropriate, but some level of information is necessary.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Besides not having a second home in the country flee to, can you tell me please, how were the people not prepared thus making the situation worse?
The warning of a hurricane was issued days before it hit (even though they thought it was going to go 'left' instead of 'right'). People didn't die or become homeless because they weren't prepared. The effort to RESCUE them is where the problem started and stopped!

I think you've fallen victim to the blame-game.
The scope of the Katrina catastrophe was no ones fault other than FEMAs.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

I appreciate your post.

Times have changed indeed. More reason why I'm fortunate to have grown up when times were AWESOME and even raised my daughter (in the 80's) when times were still great.

I think I'd still raise my children now (if I had young children) in a much different structure than what's suggested by the government.
I think people are so used to taking orders under the guise of 'a good thing' that its reach epidemic Sheeple-ism.

I personally don't need someone telling me (or my children via a Sesame Street commercial) what's common sense to begin with. It evokes more bad than good in my opinion.
But apparently some people have loss the skill to think and reason for themselves and are totally lost without direction via the idiot box. Too bad.

I am glad to be exiting this planet in a few more decades before newborns are welcomed then...handed their survival bag upon leaving the hospital!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I remember being in kindergarten and having fire drills and tornado drills. I don't know that a young child can actually grasp the concept of what was going on other than the confusion and fear..

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Benjamin Franklin - "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"

I am just about as ready as I can be for variety of scenarios in my neck of the woods. I have a wife and two young daughters to consider in the event of any emergency. Often it is the little ones and their personal needs that get overlooked. Books, crayons, special blankets and stuffed animals are added to the other essentials in my kid's mini ditch bags. They are still a little young to understand it all. But, when the power goes out, they know where to find a flashlight and how to follow directions from me or my wife.

I've been through 3 hurricane evacuations over the years . The first one was not pleasant and I learned plenty from that experience. I also sail on open water from time to time so I learned about ditch bags from one of my mentors in the sport. Nowadays, massive power outages and snow storms are an ever present threat. Just look at D.C. and New York today. Even situations that you would never dream of can wreak havoc on your everyday routine.

Just a couple of days ago, in the small city of Fairport Harbor, OH, they experienced a massive failure in the safety and prevention devices in their natural gas delivery system. Gas line pressures soared and caused multiple home and structure fires. The entire town was also evacuated due to the threat and fire departments from at least 20 other municipalities were on the scene to battle the fires and minimize any future danger.

Nothing wrong with being prepared when the news headlines are now dealing with potential mega quakes in the New Madrid Zone, Yellowstone ready to blow, potential for Mt. Baker activity etc.

I find the new focus on New Madrid to be a little disturbing.

Do what you can now!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysteriousEyes1

I remember being in kindergarten and having fire drills and tornado drills. I don't know that a young child can actually grasp the concept of what was going on other than the confusion and fear..

I remember drills hiding under the desk/going to the basement so we would know what to do when the reds nuked us. Of course I'm sure they did essentially the same.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

When I was young, 1983, the movie "the day after" was the talk of the class and the office water cooler. Cold war tensions with the USSR were high and we actually discussed the movie in the classroom. We knew what the Fallout Shelter sign that had been hanging on the building since the 50's meant and we knew where the shelters were located. One in the Church basement and one entry located in the boiler room of the school.

It's rare to even see those signs these days.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Even though it was many years ago. I remember them like it was yesterday. I hated the tornado drills (crouching under the desk , they used to scare me silly...I would peak to see if the clouds were getting really dark..lol

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Here are my thoughts on the matter... just my opinion.

I think that many times, children's shows, schools, etc., use children to try to influence the parents. I agree with you that as parents, it IS our duty to prepare for emergencies and make sure that our children are taken care of and to do whatever is necessary to inform them of what to do in dangerous situations, etc, etc. However, some parents just don't care or are so wrapped up in day-to-day life that they just don't think about it.

One example I can think of, is back in the summer, we had stopped for a snack and were sitting in the car eating, with the car running because it was blazing hot outside and I wanted the AC on. My 8 year old said, "Mommy, you should turn the car off and roll the windows down while you aren't driving because you are wasting gas and causing pollution." She had been taught this in school. Obviously, they were trying to use the kids to influence the parents into doing their part to stop polluting the air.

I think this SS episode is meant to work along the same lines. My guess is that they put it on there in hopes that children would tell their parents to make BOBs. I know that when my kids get something into their heads', they nag until I do it, lol. There's my two cents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join