It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks ISP anonymizes all traffic to neutralize data retention laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

WikiLeaks ISP anonymizes all traffic to neutralize data retention laws

www.rawstory.com

The Internet service provider (ISP) hosting WikiLeaks' servers is fighting back against the European Data Retention Directive by running all customer traffic through an encrypted virtual private network (VPN) service before logging it.

The European Data Retention Directive, which was approved in 2006, aimed to identify the origin, time and means of communication for all Internet traffic to support investigations.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Heh-heh, nice...

We truly have a cyber-war going on here folks.

Various gov factions are trying to clamp down on net freedom, and folks like "anonymous", and now wikileaks are putting up countermeasures against these spying and oppressionary activities.

This I feel, may come down to the ultimate finality of who will have the better hackers, and who can out THINK whom.

Pretty wild to think that eventually if a global clamp down DOES take place, that folks may switch their primary service to an ALTERNATE server, like wikileaks. Could an 'Internet 2' be spawned by such people, and a large enough audience? Remains to be seen!

Interesting developments and cat and mouse play going on in these times...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I made a thread about encrypted email that is impossible to break. PGP enables public key encryption of email traffic and is extremely awesome.

It is good that wikileaks is behind some sort of encrypted proxy server. I am wondering what kind of encryption scheme they are using. Symmetric key encryption (like AES, which is one key) or asymmetric key systems (2 keys like RSA).

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Yeah, I have a feeling we may be seeing the future of the internet being played out here.

Encrypted, anonymous servers and browzing. I know there are anonymous surf browsers, but it sounds like these guys are taking it to a whole new level. This is getting very interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Do a Trace Route to Wikileaks.org

You will see their traffic currently goes thru servint.net then fig.dynadot.com.
Those are U.S. company's subject to having all their logs, servers, routers, etc. confiscated per U.S. law.

How that anonymizes traffic and neutralizes data retention laws is, um,

edit on 1/27/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Maybe it goes through that from your end but for someone else its different. When it gets through the wikileak server it has to go through one more encrypted server is what I got. So that even if wikileak was hijacked/attacked/confiscated they would not have records or something of that nature.

You probably couldnt send them secure data because you are in the US, UNLESS wikileaks has set up RSA/PGP secure email and they have a public key from which you could send them data with. They would know that you sent them data, but would not be able to unencrypt the data.

I think finding a secure ISP is going to be like fidning a swiss bank that hides your money. Its the digital age. But people are very unaware of how unsecure their data is in emails. If someone was motivated they could intercept your data. This is why secure email is important, even if your data was intercepted, its no use to them it was secure.
edit on 27-1-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Negative, use online Trace Routes from various woldwide locations. They go thru those two facilities.

Confiscating Wikileaks servers in combination with these others routers and servers give them all the info the need. Encryption or not, they have the traffic before encryption and after. The rest is simple.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Oh ok, I did not know that. This is why wikileaks needs to set up a public key (RSA) that they put out. The encryption would then start right at your computer. Even if it went to wikileaks, they would know you sent them data, but would not know what it was. Then you do various things like add fake data in the middle as well so that they dont know file sizes of how much actual data was real that was sent. I call it confounding countermeasures.

Look at this link:
cryptome.org...

It seems that wikileaks has some public keys, as long as they are not expired will work. The key needs to be properly signed as well (ie, this verifies authenticity, meaning that the key does indeed belong to wiki leaks, and not someone pretending to be wiki leaks)
edit on 27-1-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

top topics

join