It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lake that glows in the dark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

The lake that glows in the dark

www.dailymail.co.uk< br />

The lake that glows in the dark: Eerie phenomenon that turned waters (and midnight swimmers) luminous blue

Swimming is supposed to give you a healthy glow, but these swimmers weren't quite sure what was going on when they took a late-night dip and turned a fluorescent shade of blue.

'It was like we were playing with radioactive paint,' said photographer Phil Hart who snapped the bizarre sight as his friends emerged from a lake in the dark of night.

The light is created by a chemical reaction
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I am not sure if I am paying more attention to bizarre news or that more bizarre news is occurring. But blue water...?...literally? I never heard of a chemical reaction, bioluminescence, that turns it color like this. They're just making this stuff up, right??

This very much reminded me a an incident reported last month in Canada where a river turned green only it was said, later on, that was due to a prank where someone put food-coloring in the river. Really? Why couldn't that be this "bioluminescence" affect too? It's stuff like this that makes me constantly go, Hmmmmmm!

Here's a clip of the green river.

www.dailymail.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
this was posted yesterday I think some people were saying it was a fake because it looks like 2 lights under the water.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
I never heard of a chemical reaction, bioluminescence, that turns it color like this.

I have been to Bioluminescent Bay at Vieques Island, Puerto Rico. The glow from the the bioluminescent plankton look exactly like this.

Here is a website dedicated to Bioluminescent Bay.

www.biobay.com...

You can find additional photographs of Bioluminescent Bay on google images.

Cool story nonetheless!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
this was posted yesterday I think some people were saying it was a fake because it looks like 2 lights under the water.

WHY CAN'T I EVER FIND STUFF WHEN I SEARCH IT OUT?

Sorry for the caps but this is the second thread I started in two days where it was already posted. I searched out "Lake" "Glow" "Blue"

I give up.

I'll just have to stay up 24-hours now hoping to grab something before it hits the internet now

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I am just wondering how much "food coloring" a person would need to actually turn a river green??? This just doesn't seem plausible to me.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yeah,more proof we are being terraformed behind our backs,bet you they are aliens

Beautiful imagery but unusual in that region of the world even more evidence of strange movements.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Link to more images. No lights can do that.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostsock
I am just wondering how much "food coloring" a person would need to actually turn a river green??? This just doesn't seem plausible to me.

There is specially made mix that is designed to make water glow. It does it quite effectively. Blumping etc. use it. Also tankers check for leaks etc.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Well , what you need to do is look at the word Bioluminescence, and have a think about what it means. Bioluminescence is basicaly light that occurs when certain biological processes occur as a result of a function of a life form. Glow worms of various colours give of bioluminescence, as do some deep sea creatures.
Now, Im no expert on matters of nautical persuasion, but I have seen enough of the bounty of the sea to say that although this effect may well be rare in lakes and other land locked bodies of water, it is by no means impossible.
The suggestion that this is made up, rather than being a genuine phenomena is understandable, but perhaps some research on the subject would illuminate matters ? To start you off, I found this little webpage, which might serve as a worthy introduction to the topic, and may provide a platform from which you can aquire more data, should the subject interest you enough to warrant further research.

www.sdnhm.org...

Hope this is satisfactory.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
They are blaming the Bacteria Noctiluca Scintillans for this, and on Googling it you can find other images that confirm that this could be genuine:

Another Image that looks like the OP posted images
Site is in Japanese but the image is clearly similar to these.

Cool find OP

edit on 27-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Link to more images. No lights can do that.

Well apparently light and a camera can cause some of the effect.

Loved this image.
I entitle this: the Timothy Leary effect

Still never heard of this phenomena before. Not saying it doesn't and can't happen but just never knew it existed. I'm such a 'babe in the planetary-woods' I guess

And sorry about posting 'used' threads. I really and truly search them out before posting new stuff (well, new to me. Obviously old to ATS) I feel like I can be charged with plagiarism now.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
They are blaming the Bacteria Noctiluca Scintillans for this, and on Googling it you can find other images that confirm that this could be genuine:

Another Image that looks like the OP posted images
Site is in Japanese but the image is clearly similar to these.

Cool find OP

edit on 27-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

Very cool. But still very weird.
Ya sure this has nothing to do with plasma/gas that the magnetic field is supposed to confine and perhaps, escaping?
That's as far as I've thought that out. I'm sure someone will soon correct me and try to make me feel like a fool for thinking that.
It's okay. I am already a plagiarist. Can't get much worse

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Thank you very much for all that info. Kinda blows any conspiracy here, huh?

I would love to see that in person though.

Do you think the river in Canada was a bi-product of this or do you believe it was a hoax? I ask you because you seem like you have more of a scientific handle on the situation.
Thanks again

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

With regard to the river in Canada being turned green by food dye, as I understand it, that is pretty much what happened. Theres good evidence pointing towards this course of events, including the fact that an identical shade of dye, produced an almost identical effect in the Chicago River on numerous occasions. In fact its a tradition there , as seen in the following link.

www.chicagostpatsparade.com...

Information on the Chicago River can be found by clicking on the next link.

en.wikipedia.org...

The above link contains some background information on the river I am talking about, and the only reference I can find for Rivers turning this shade of green is connected to this event , or similar events.
If you pay attention to some of the key points of both the St Patricks day celebrations, and the incident in Canada, you will see similarities which are very suggestive of a similar cause. However, comparing either event to the bioluminecence observed in the lake that was the object of your post, or indeed other naturaly occuring phenomena, and you will see a marked difference.
Bioluminecence is visible in the dark, but the green dye used to alter the colour of the rivers in Chicago and Canada, would I believe be utterly undetectable unless illuminated by either floodlights or the sun.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

The Blue Lake - I think it would be fairly easy to recreate....it seems that there are lights under the water then the use of Photoshop magic specifically a negative effect. You can notice that the blue is limited to an area which points to lights under the water...

As far as the green river....in Texas when I was younger I saw large ponds turn green due to water treatment and fertilization chemicals.

edit on 27-1-2011 by HD38529 because: ...just my two cents

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

That river turning green in Canada wasn't a prank. It was a government test for marking out a river current using non-toxic colouring products. I'm not sure of the details but I'm certain I saw this explanation on the news before.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I read about this years ago in a book about south american jungles.
There is a lake there , that appears "normal"..
but, when the water is disturbed at night time..
It glows blue, just like this.
It is some kind of algae, or plankton.
When they become disturbed.. they "light up"..

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

That river turning green in Canada wasn't a prank. It was a government test for marking out a river current using non-toxic colouring products. I'm not sure of the details but I'm certain I saw this explanation on the news before.

Really now. Where did you read that? Or is that your opinion? For some reason, that makes a lot more sense but why would they need dye? Can't they see the current? Unless they wanted to map it from air? And if that is the case, why not say so? Or did they? (okay, the Spanish Inquisition is over now. Carry on. But please when you have a moment, answer my questions cause I'm curious.......yeah, what else is new?)

top topics

join