Breakthrough promises $1.50 per gallon synthetic gasoline with no carbon emissions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This reminds me of the guy that came up with a way to turn garbage in to oil. I can't remember how many magazines he was in, but I remember reading it in two or three. The long and short is that he was producing oil and gasoline at a rate that was much more efficient than ethanol production.

For some reason the buzz disapeared and nothing came of it. This was probably in 2005 or so, if anybody wants to look it up.

Oil From Garbage 2004

It looks like Conagra is using the tech to produce about 200 barrels of oil per day from one plant.
edit on 27-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There is a novel theory that the earth is actually filled with these high pressure metal hydrides, rather than hot magma.

In Stage II, increasing pressure forces hydrogen to be adsorbed in the metal lattice, but still retaining its electron.
Stage III starts at a critical pressure of about 5 Gpa with density 1.95 times original density. In this stage hydrogen atoms shed their electrons to make covalent bonds with metal atoms, thus commencing the destruction of crystalline metal structure. Once again, as in Stage I, there is density increase, up to 2.3 times original density, without pressure increase.

Stage IV is the ionic hydride stage, in which hydrogen nuclei are forced inside the electron rings of the potassium metal, thus completely destroying the metallic crystalline structure. This stage commences with pressure still about 5 Gpa and continues with a linear relationship of increasing density and pressure to the limit of the equipment. Potassium density has about tripled at pressure of 29 Gpa. Of this, 33% is added hydrogen; 39% is added potassium mass; 28% is original potassium mass. The upper limit of this linear relationship is not known. But a major change should be expected at the core/ mantle boundary.

Stages III and IV hydrides have the geologically important property of fluidity. Larin showed the writer an example of this with titanium. He had set a ruby in a matrix of titanium metal, a remarkable feat, because titanium has low heat conductivity. Milling causes spalling, and for practical purposes titanium cannot be milled. Larin, however, had fluidized the titanium to a paste-like ductility by hydrogen impregnation, after which the ruby was easily embedded in the still-plastic matrix. Reduced pressure had allowed the hydrogen to escape, and the ruby was left firmly set in crystalline titanium metal. Fluidization of metals by the injection of hydrogen nuclei has the effect of transforming the metal atoms into "intermetal." The 5-Gpa critical pressure where potassium is fluidized is approximately the pressure at the base of continental crust.

blog.hasslberger.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Of course the oil companies would love this, they'd be the ones making it. No more having to spend billions searching for oil, setting up rigs and pipelines. It would be a dream for them. At $1.50 a gallon they'd probably be making more money than they make now.

What concerns me is that in the UK we have a huge amount of tax on petrol (gas) our current gallon is around $8.50 (we do have a slightly larger gallon than the US.) Each government has hiked up the tax in the name of trying to do something to help the environment. We have a poor public transport system so all they are really doing is cashing in, we have no real alternative than to use our cars.

There's no way we would see a £1 gallon, just no way. Even if this fuel is practical and comes into production all it will mean is that we in the UK will still spend the same on our fuel but the government and the companies given the job of manufacturing the fuel (oil companies) will continue to make billions from us.

If they could tax the air that we breathe they would and one day they probably will.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
IT ISNT GOING TO STOP ANYING..THESE PEOPLE ARE SO BRAINDEAD,,
its so far beyond cars.. its just making gas cost alot more

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This synthetic gasoline is hydrogen based? They've figured out a way of making something run on hydrogen and still make a buck. That's all this is. They are afraid to distribute a motor that uses hydrogen because of how easy it is to separate hydrogen gas from water right in your own kitchen and they couldn't make any money that way.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

This is AWESOME! Not only is the oil cheaper and cleaner, its synthetic and can be made with hydrogen, the most abundant substance in the Universe! In the article it states the oil was created Under extreme conditions of secrecy(hmm I wonder why?). Lets hope they didnt jump the gun with announcing this.

Bonus- funny headline from Fark
"UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline. Next week: study by the oil lobby finds synthetic fuel causes cancer "

www.gizmag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

ITS NOT CLEAN AT ALL!!!! They use fracking to get hydrogen out of the earth.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If anybody is worried about this not working in their cars...if the posted op is true (based on the limited info in the article).

As long as it is fluid, does not require an excess of (approx) 10:1 static compression, and can be ignited by a spark it will work just fine.

Cars have problems from carbon build up, not lack of carbon. Your engine only cares that the fuel can be delivered at the correct rate and produces the correct 'bang' upon ignition.

You would require an ECU update, but technically speaking, that is easy.

I would be far more concerned about predetonation or timing issues running this fuel.

Of course, all based on the 'claim'.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

You can seriously make hydrogen gas at your house. They don't have to use fracking to get it. You need water, salt, at least two pieces of stainless steel plating or similiar and dc current. That's it. Using this electrolysis and you can separate the oxygen from the hydrogen and burn them as a gas. Youtube how to make a hho generator.

We are being ripped off by corporations. They can't make money on something so readily available as water. Hydrogen is the most abundant element and we are using fossil fuels to heat our homes and run our cars.
edit on 27-1-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This is great, but if it doesn't disappear soon (which will probably happen), then I see dead people.

second line

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
fantastic!
We can get the hydrogen to make it from oil!

at least that's where they said we would get the H2 for the H2 fuel cells....

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I doubt my bmw 5 series would run on it...most European cars are highly specialized and have lots of digital systems in the car that are tailored specifically for gasoline.

Great!

You can pay $5.00+ a gallon and keep your bmw while everyone else pays $1.50 and drives any other brand.

That came across as a pure ego stroke on your part and nothing more.

On topic:
I'm curious how they came up with the $1.50 mark.....

S&F OP

~Namaste
edit on 27-1-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DisbeIief

In the US it's mostly tax as well. Just not as much.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Forgive me if this sounds stupid but I have a question. Its been awhile since I took chemistry but how can you burn something and not get emissions?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rbilly001

By burning it completely. Simple answer I know, but correct I think. By completely meaning converting it all to energy.
edit on 1/27/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rbilly001

You do, burning Hydrogen in Oxygen gives off water. That's it.

2 H2(g) + O2(g) ---> 2 H2O(l) + heat

edit on 27-1-2011 by DisbeIief because: .

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This is a great thing, hopefully it can be implemented soon.

Lower gas prices would help all American's, and of course, the world.

It'd be nice if it would also lead to a decrease in prices for everything else.

I can only imagine it would have a rather interesting effect on the economy.

Can't wait to see.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It would help if people read it crtically.

From the article:

UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline.
I've heard so much BS from every direction that I hardly notice. They've told us they'll have electric cars ready for over 20 years. They kept saying they had doubled battery life or even by a whole magnitude, but year after year we get the same stuff. So when a company comes out and says something COULD be $1.50 a gallon! I shake my head because I've heard it before. I'll believe it when the cars are mass produced and on our highways using this fuel at much reduced costs to the consumer.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It would help if people read it crtically.

From the article:

UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline.
I've heard so much BS from every direction that I hardly notice. They've told us they'll have electric cars ready for over 20 years. They kept saying they had doubled battery life or even by a whole magnitude, but year after year we get the same stuff. So when a company comes out and says something COULD be $1.50 a gallon! I shake my head because I've heard it before. I'll believe it when every car on our roads is using this fuel at much reduced costs to the consumer.
edit on 27-1-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)
edit on 27-1-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Actually newer cars all over the world are more tolerant by far than EVER before IF you know how to redo the fuel maps and etc you can tweak a car to run and RUN WELL on even substandard fuel if you had to. ( now this doesn't mean you wouldn't need lots more maintenance to make up for the dirty fuel etc.) But the point still stands that given the right skills and a couple hundred dollars worth of software and a diagnostic port interface device and you can do more to tune your car now than EVER in history for CHEAPER much FASTER and to a much higher degree.

Oh and fun fact European cars have fewer pollution controls etc not more than cars in the US, and the US has less pollution control equipment than japan.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
why the arbitrary set price of $1.50 before it's even close to being used in the public? $1.50 isn't much cheaper than prices in america now anyway.

god, why do we let corporations run our lives?

and yeah, they need to not jump the gun with this article before they do environmental and health impact studies for a few years

[edit] "could" means the prices will never go lower than $1.50, mark my words.
edit on 27-1-2011 by shagreen heart because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join