It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakthrough promises $1.50 per gallon synthetic gasoline with no carbon emissions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+73 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Breakthrough promises $1.50 per gallon synthetic gasoline with no carbon emissions

www.gizmag.com

UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline. Apart from promising a future transportation fuel with a stable price regardless of oil prices, the fuel is hydrogen based and produces no carbon emissions when burned. The technology is based on complex hydrides, and has been developed over a four year top secret program at the prestigious Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford. Early indications are that the fuel can be used in existing internal combustion engined vehicles without engine modification.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
infogreenglobal.com
rathergather.com
blogs.howstuffworks.com
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9250e6d7baa1.jpg[/atsimg]

This is AWESOME! Not only is the oil cheaper and cleaner, its synthetic and can be made with hydrogen, the most abundant substance in the Universe! In the article it states the oil was created Under extreme conditions of secrecy(hmm I wonder why?). Lets hope they didnt jump the gun with announcing this.

Bonus- funny headline from Fark
"UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline. Next week: study by the oil lobby finds synthetic fuel causes cancer "

www.gizmag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Hmmm.. not wanting to be too skeptical but how much energy is required to produce this stuff? It's usually the case that more energy is used in production than in burning the fuel it's replacing. Fingers crossed for a revolution

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
TPTB will either buy the patents to this, or this guy will turn up missing. Or his lab will be burnt down, etc etc.
Pretty neat news though. S+F

Deebo

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
That's great. Only, creating it and distributing it are two totally different things. What good is this if we don't have access to it? It's another reminder of letting us know how low we are on the consumer-based-dependent food chain when it comes to obtaining these 'break-through' items!

I appreciate you posting this and no reflection on you OP (I'm S&F this anyway but) this might as well go into the hoax bin!
Just kidding but there ought to at least be a 'tease' bin available
!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
This is good news! i dont trust running anything made with hydrogen in a combustion engine..but if it wa desigend to do so! its worth a shot!
as another emeb here siad..his lab will be burnt down, he'll end up missing..the ol' walk in the woods*
you really think exxonmobile, shell, and other corporate giants are gunna let that happen? $1.50 a gallon..theyde all loose pofits BIG TIME in thier eyes better to off this guy sad to say

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Just becuase his paentos go missing, dosnt mean his brain has all the infomartion and technology stored* so if he ever wound up missing, ide immedialty presume foul play and he is dead.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

I aggree with Deebo, It should be long before this breakthough dissapears. I doubt that this would be energy efficient to create, but if it is, then it would put to much of a dent in the pockets of oil corps. I'm sure that the conspiracy's will thrive in this case. People will dissapear, suddenly become unwilling criminals, or die mysteriously. The product will be suddenly discovered to be a fraud.

Its too good to be true!

remyrange

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Exciting news but all I can really say is GET ON WITH IT ALREADY! LOL!

There have been dozens if not hundreds of alternative fuel inventions over the past decades but we still use good old fashioned gas.

So let's get on with it already and quit talking about it. I wish these people much success.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

valid question to be skeptical about. However, If the stuff would only cost 1.50 per gallon, it must be cheaper than oil!
Oil is extremely innefficient. I think its like 2% of oil actually goes to producing energy in our car, and like the other 98% is processing and transporting. either way, Oil is extremely inefficient and dirty.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

you wouldnt run anything made from hydrogen?

Even though oil and gas are both hydro-carbons?

Like the article says, It should run in an unmodified engine, and I highly doubt they would let this be used if it was dangerous. Remember, the gas tanks on cars are like big bombs too.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

As much as I want to see this, the old 'hydrogen fuel cell' replacement fuel has been kicking around since mid 90's. remember the EV? well if you do you will remember the hydrogen fuel cell promise? where is it now?

The only reason that this little tit bit is out in the MSM is because Nissan have unveiled their new electric car Nissan Leaf. Electric cars are making a come back, thanks to greedy oil corps people are actually waking up to the fact that we rely to heavily on oil.

The revival has begun
edit on 27-1-2011 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
No carbon would be nice, as would breaking the chains oil and the oil corporation use to bind us.

I do, however, wonder how they can so quickly arrive at a price of $1.50 per gallon. And that price probably doesn't include taxes, which might well raise it right back up to the levels we're at now. At least in the U.S. Plus these same corporations would probably just buy out the patent anyway (or try to kill it), so as far as price goes, there would be no difference to us. Hardly the main selling point though...getting off oil would still be worth it.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Yeah and we will never see this hit the market. Oil guys are in heaven with the raising oil prices. They would never let anything get in the way. Good invention thought.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Hydrides, the powdery stuff they put inside the hydrogen tank to suck up the hydrogen like a sponge almost...have been touted as the breakthrough for H fuel for decades...
This isnt a new trip.
The long time its taken to make this work is ridiculous.
They have the hydrigen pumped into your tank under presssure.
The hydrogen then combines with the hydrides to make a compound which will not explode.
The hydrides give off the hydrogen in useable quantity, but if the tank is ruptured, it will not blow up, as the hydrides only give off so much hydrogen at a time...this is a slow process and wont allow explosions.
This would be great if you had a windmill or sunpowered gizmo which would add hydrogen to your tank for free while you are parked at home.plus add oxygen to the air.....
It will work.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I doubt my bmw 5 series would run on it...most European cars are highly specialized and have lots of digital systems in the car that are tailored specifically for gasoline.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I would have to agree. They must be swimming in pools filled with only $ by now.

Which is why im surprised they are announcing this without starting the commercialization process like how the fusion tech was released.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Just remember 1 thing........Hydrogen is the most abundent resource in the world RIGHT NOW!!! As soon as they start pumping this crap out.....OH MY LORD....We are running in a dangerously low supply and the price has to go up!!! It will happen with anything, it's all about the Benjamins remember??

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Electric care fans always conveniently leave out the fact it produces more pollution creating the energy to charge the batteries than just driving normal cars do. That is why the new car only sold about 10 copies in the first month. It does not help the environment and it is very expensive to own and operate. They only build those to get the government handouts.

ON TOPIC-

Last we will hear of it for a long time if we ever hear of it again. The only hope is to spread this to everyone as fast as possible and drive government officials crazy with questions about why they are not all over this, right now this minute. We will know shortly as the government of the UK will be talking this up big time if they don't plan on burying it. If they are not out talking about this by next week in large numbers, it will just be forgotten.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well, this certainly sounds too good to be true.

When I can buy cleaner burning fuel at a much lower price than gasoline, at the local gas station, then I will believe it.

And..... No modifications to the engine? Very hard to swallow. I'll bet the big oil companies will not let it get too far.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join