It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My only Alien/U.F.O. thread... WHY?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Firstly, I understand that this is ATS, and that no topic or viewpoint is off limits.

I try to keep an open mind about all things, and since I have no verifiable, tangible evidence, nor do I have any direct sensory experience to confirm or deny the existence of Aliens, they remain in my "realm of possibility".

But from a pragmatic stance, what difference does it make?

Premise A: SORRY, NOTHING.
- in the truth, no known intelligent life from outside our planet has ever visited earth, and the likelihood of such an occurrence in our lifetime is highly improbable at best.

RESULT: our everyday lives continue as they are.

Premise B: THAT WAS NO WEATHER BALLOON.
-the U.N. holds a press conference and gives full disclosure: since 1947, the world governments have been in contact with intelligent extra-terrestrial beings, who continue to visit the earth, which explains every questioned U.F.O. sighting.

RESULT: our everyday lives continue as they are.
*(OK you might take a day off work with this one, but that is about it)

Obviously, if aliens have visited the planet they are more advanced, and seemingly more intelligent than we are, so either they do not really care and study us like we study ant colonies, or they are the ruling overlords of the world.
Either way, our everyday lives have and will not change because of it.

Genuinely interested in your viewpoints,

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

I was thinking about this yesterday as well.

If disclosure were to happen today...

I would still go to my Spanish class tomorrow morning.

I don't think people would burn down buildings. Then again, maybe I am just not 'new' to the idea of disclosure. Perhaps some of the more "religious radicals" wouldn't be able to handle it.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

The only obvious thing is that we are greedy and capitalistic in nature, and big brother is not sharing anything for free. Who cares if alient technology could solve the energy crisis, especially if its cost effective. C'mon really, you dont see what difference it makes if we acknowledge alien presence? Lets get the show on the road already! (ignorance is bliss)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xenios

That all depends on WHAT was disclosed, especially regarding any alien agenda...

Your reaction (and attendance in Spanish class) would differ greatly if the disclosure was that a fleet of alien warships is on its way to destroy or enslave the planet...vs. some funny-looking little guys offering us technological advancements....

Disclosure ala "V" may not change your daily life either, but then we'll always wonder if there's a hidden agenda (like the original V, they came with promises, but secretly were abducting people for meat!).....

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by hybridkate

The only obvious thing is that we are greedy and capitalistic in nature, and big brother is not sharing anything for free. Who cares if alient technology could solve the energy crisis, especially if its cost effective. C'mon really, you dont see what difference it makes if we acknowledge alien presence? Lets get the show on the road already! (ignorance is bliss)

If we assume that aliens are, and have been present on earth, then the technology has also been present.
Obviously, then, the fact that it is present does not guarantee that it will be shared, or made public.

If, however, disclosure were to somehow ensure that this technology was made public, we would have to assume that the beings who brought it to earth are a) no longer living and that this technology is purely controlled by humans, or b) that the E.T.'s choose to not make it available.

In either scenario, no, it would not make any difference from a pragmatic viewpoint.

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Xenios

That all depends on WHAT was disclosed, especially regarding any alien agenda...

Your reaction (and attendance in Spanish class) would differ greatly if the disclosure was that a fleet of alien warships is on its way to destroy or enslave the planet...vs. some funny-looking little guys offering us technological advancements....

Disclosure ala "V" may not change your daily life either, but then we'll always wonder if there's a hidden agenda (like the original V, they came with promises, but secretly were abducting people for meat!).....

Yes indeed, but we are discussing disclosure, which implies the existence of E.T.'s on earth, which also implies that their presence has already made its tangible effects on our day to day lives.

Invasion, would be an entirely different scenario, which would basically boil down to:
1) bow down to your new overlord
or
2) enjoy the feeling of being zapped to death by laser.

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Xenios

You're right in that I had assumed the government would just come forward and say "It's true."

In that case, people would have a lot to talk about, but companies would still make their products, kids would still go to school(well, most of them), and people would still go to their jobs because we have to keep on living.

If disclosure happened in the way that warships show up and start destroying us, well, then our reaction to that wouldn't really matter that much, would it?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The fact that aliens have already come a long way towards sharing their science is indesputable.
Read "The New Science" by W Smith.(thread around ats somewhere....)
"The day after Roswell, by Phillip Corso....
The aliens would not exactly hand out this stuff imho.
Rather they would make us work our heads to derive it by our own hands after learning about the basic premises of their science.
Though there may be accellerations we could be given, i am sure that we would have to come upon this stuff useing just their hints in the right directions....but do our own groundwork, and proof of principal experiments etc.
In this way, we would have a better chance of getting acclimatised to the jump in technology and not be totally gob amacked with it.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
The fact that aliens have already come a long way towards sharing their science is indesputable. (sic)

I don't agree with this statement, in actuality, I'm certain that other threads on ATS have some very heated disputes over this exact topic.

That being said, you confirm that disclosure would not have any pragmatic effect on our day to day existence.
As your claim suggests, contact has already been made and whatever effect it could have, has already been felt to the extent that E.T.'s want it to.

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
If the govt admitted to anything about aliens being true, the results would be radical change.
There would be a huge backlash. They've been telling us for 60+ years that there is nothing to it.

Laws have been broken, people would go to jail, it would be the only topic on news television for months.

With all respect, if you don't think disclosure would cause big changes, that we'd just go about our lives as before, you haven't thought about it much.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
If the govt admitted to anything about aliens being true, the results would be radical change.
There would be a huge backlash. They've been telling us for 60+ years that there is nothing to it.

This is what I am curious about... what radical change? (assuming that this has been the reality for 60+ years)

You believe the population would be surprised that the government lies to them. I am not convinced that this conclusion has not already been reached.

Laws have been broken, people would go to jail, it would be the only topic on news television for months.

Which laws have been broken? Who would go to jail? And how would this affect your daily routine on a personal level, apart from maybe watching more television?

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I tend to think that life exist out there, probably very abundantly. But we are probably just a backwater hardly noticeable, minor planet, in a not very exiting solar system, probably in a galaxy in a remote neighborhood. There have probably been alien expeditions to our planet, but they probably amounted to nothing more that tourists, or curious scientist. If our government did manage to capture a UFO, then its probably about as significant as an Islander on YAP in the early 1800's finding a bottle that floated ashore.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It's not about you or me; it's about what the society as a whole would do. Regardless whether you agree or not, every time a think tank or NASA does a comprehensive study on the issue, they come to the conclusion that chaos would erupt. Now I, personally, am very suspicious of their assumptions and their computer programs that lead them to this conclusion. I want to know just what data they are inputing and just how it is being manipulated by their programs. But I cannot deny that if that's the conclusion they are getting, false or not, then that explains, at least partly, the reluctance to disclose.

The real key here is what data they are using and whether their computer programs are pre-disposed to giving a negative outcome. This is not unprecedented. Climategate is a good example. It turns out that the computer program used to compute the "Hockey Stick" graph that freaked everyone out that we would all die tomorrow of heat prostration would produce a hockey stick appearing graph NO MATTER WHAT DATA was input. Any "red noise" data set would produce a hockey stick, including data from the stock market.

The reaction of the "scientific community" to this was to withhold data and refuse to disclose their procedures, the exact opposite of what the scientific method demands. They circled the wagons and insisted the "science was settled." Well, as Climategate proved, there was much less scientific consensus than projected. In fact, there was evidence of outright fraud. Yet governments were expected to make drastic decisions based on this false evidence. Anyone interested in pursuing this should read The Hockey Stick Illusion: Climategate and the Corruption of Science by A.W. Montford

I think we can pretty well accept part of the equation, and that is the angry backlash over the secrecy and crimes committed in withholding this information and the creation of a "National Security State" as postulated by Richard Dolan and others. That reason alone might be enough to prevent disclosure. It could disrupt the government so thoroughly that the government (or whomever within it) would believe their own survival was at stake. Any government, whether democratic or dictatorship, will attempt to stay in power.

That begs the question of all the rest of the issues, including religious and philosophical issues. Personally, I'd go to my Spanish classs, but I really don't know how the rest of humanity would handle it.
edit on 1/27/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Yes indeed, but we are discussing disclosure, which implies the existence of E.T.'s on earth, which also implies that their presence has already made its tangible effects on our day to day lives.

Invasion, would be an entirely different scenario, which would basically boil down to:

Not if infiltration was merely the first step leading to an invasion.

Disclosure, by itself, typically refers to the Government "coming clean" on their knowledge of aliens and their existence. Anything else is just adding more things to the pot (such as assuming they've been working with us, or against us, or have shared tech, etc.)....

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Not if infiltration was merely the first step leading to an invasion.

Disclosure, by itself, typically refers to the Government "coming clean" on their knowledge of aliens and their existence. Anything else is just adding more things to the pot (such as assuming they've been working with us, or against us, or have shared tech, etc.)....

Yes, so, continuing with this line of thought, only disclosure which admitted knowledge of a plan to invade the earth, or admitted that infiltration had taken place as a precursor to this plan, would there be a tangible change in people's day to day affairs.

I will definitely concede, that if disclosure includes any confirmation of plans for alien invasion, I will not be going in to work the next day!

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'll throw this one in the pot of what if's

What if we were told today the aliens are coming and they are not friendly.

All citizens of the world are required to work harder in preperation for the war effort.

You would have no choice but to go to work the next day and would still not be sure aliens exist.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
if ther is disclosure today or tomorrow i think it might end up in a little chaos.. WHY? because the govr has lied to us for quite a while and the people of the nation would no like this one bit.

also if their is a disclosure dont u think the whole religon stuff would be pointless and just stupid? maybe our religon is with in the alien life out there?

if there was a disclosure i would ------------ jump up and cry and laugh at all the doubters

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntoast
if ther is disclosure today or tomorrow i think it might end up in a little chaos.. WHY? because the govr has lied to us for quite a while and the people of the nation would no like this one bit.

also if their is a disclosure dont u think the whole religon stuff would be pointless and just stupid? maybe our religon is with in the alien life out there?

if there was a disclosure i would ------------ jump up and cry and laugh at all the doubters

This is a very valid point... religion.

I can see how deeply religious people could be traumatized by this hypothetical situation.
Then, again, they could simply alter their dogma slightly in order to rationalize this new "reality" within their existing faith... it has been done in the past.

the Billmeister

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i think their would be a big different in the human thinking right after the disclosure. I think people would be more open to thinking outright and change the things that are going on with this planet with all the bad followers.

if they come down oneday and take our hands. things will deff change for the good they will let us know what were doing wrong and let us survive on this planet more with out damaging it or hurtin it.

BUT IF.... theyre bad invating aliens that are gonna destroy the earth, were gonna all have to come together as a human race and manage to survive the human-kind on earth.. meaning all countries that have problems wouldnt fight for stupid stuff but fight for our HUMAN-RACE/KIND well will all come together as a whole ONE kind under the stars

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Good post Billmeister

I was thinking though, that in regards to major religions having to alter their dogma, it possibly wouldn't be a small alteration. If in fact it was the aliens who created man, then they would have to admit that aliens were God. And then our perception on the concept of God or gods would have to be completely re-thought out. Interesting. S&F for you mate!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join