It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Catapult Found at U.S.-Mexico Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I came across this story and thought this was an interesting way to get drugs across the border. This I thought was an ingenious idea and funny too.

Drug smugglers trying to get marijuana across the Arizona-Mexico border apparently are trying a new approach -- a catapult.

National Guard troops operating a remote video surveillance system at the Naco Border Patrol Station say they observed several people preparing a catapult and launching packages over the International Border fence last Friday evening.

"It looks like a medieval catapult that was used back in the day," Tucson sector Border Patrol spokesman David Jimarez told Reuters.

Tucson TV station KVOA said Border Patrol agents working with the National Guard contacted Mexican authorities, who went to the location and disrupted the catapult operation.

The 3-yard tall catapult was found about 20 yards from the U.S. border on a flatbed towed by a sports utility vehicle, according to a Mexican army officer with the 45th military zone in the border state of Sonora.

The catapult was capable of launching 4.4 pounds of marijuana at a time, the officer said Wednesday, speaking on condition of anonymity for security reasons.

"I have not seen anything like that in my time before as a Border Patrol agent ... although we are trained to handle any kind of a threat that comes over that border," Jimarez added.

Soldiers seized found 35 pounds of marijuana, the vehicle and the catapult device, the officer said.

The smugglers left the area before they could be captured.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Original News Release

edit on 27-1-2011 by sugarcookie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Sometimes low tech can be better than hi tech, I think this is brilliant

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I do agree with you on that and thanks for replying.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
If it's 9 feet tall it's a mangonel or trebuchet.
Or maybe a Couillard.

trebuchet
mangonel
Couillard

Pretty clever and original it seems. Too bad they "disrupted" the medieval operations.

edit on 27-1-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You have to give them kudos for trying!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I thought people would find this story interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

I thought people would find this story interesting.

It is.

Not everyday you see someone bust out Medieval Tech in order to trump Modern Tech.

Didn't work out quite so well this time.

But who knows how many times they got away with it and no one found out.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Remote video surveillance system = UAV drone.

The thought of them using a catapault brought back images of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where the castle occupants catapault furniture and animals, including a cow at Sir Robin and his men.

Give them an A for ingenuity though.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Funny you say that I just watched that not too long ago myself. lol Yes we will give them a virtual A for ingenuity.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

So very very true. I guess digging tunnels underground was too much for these guys. Before you know it they will be launching it from air cannons across the border. Like the show Pumkin Chunkin.
edit on 27-1-2011 by sugarcookie1 because: Added witty comment.

top topics

join