It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Going Stupid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

This is a great website worthy of quite a few 'laugh out louds', and this article just happens to lay it all out for you.
#4 "People are getting stupider." Here ya go.

www.cracked.com...

If you have time I suggest reading the articles that are linked in red.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheColouredFlower

This is a great website worthy of quite a few 'laugh out louds', and this article just happens to lay it all out for you.
#4 "People are getting stupider." Here ya go.

www.cracked.com...

If you have time I suggest reading the articles that are linked in red.

It's a fun article, but in regards to the "People getting stupider", I think what I was trying to bring attention to is the fact that American kids were falling behind in science and mathematics compared to kids from other countries around the world. While it may be true that the average IQ is increasing from decade to decade, most American kids are not catching up to the rest of the world in education, and I don't think it's a matter of IQ. It has to do with the quality of schooling and the upbringing that a kid receives. It is not my belief that Americas have low IQs. It is my belief that many American schools and parents have created very low expectations for their students/kids. They are not doing enough to make use of their brains and help them develop.

Schools continue to dumb down tests so that more students would pass the class. Some schools will bend the rules to keep kids from failing. Some schools will require less of their students so that they wouldn't receive low national scores and get shut down. Some schools will spend half the lesson catering to students who don't speak the English language, which takes half the lesson away from kids who do speak it, and would have been able to cram more into the lesson if all the students spoke English like they are supposed to.

So.... this is not a debate about high or low I.Q., this is a debate about how we are raising kids in this country, and what we are teaching them. Seeing that we are so far behind in such important subjects, it is not good news. You can have the highest I.Q. on this planet, but if I never teach you a thing about Algebra or Calculus, how will you come to discover that it even exists, let alone solve an equation? We are not born with knowledge of the world, we are only born with the ability to better process information.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I feel America is going stupid too. The economy, capitilism, and the government and the wealthy capitalize on the weakness of americans as humans and keep them slaves to the system. Tv is one of its greatest tools. Finance is second of its tools to keep americans slaves. And last manufactering is the third tool. Look at the way cars are built. Everything is desinged so you have to pay to have it repaired and most things can not be maintained by the owner. Even our very homes are becoming that wayand its gonna get much worse. The world is designed to makes its own people slaves to the system to keep everything going. The way out is for everyone to learn how to beat the system. Already many people are only buying really old cars. Ones that can be maintained. Some are making their own fuels. Others are building homes of unconvential designes that need little work over the long run and can be maintained by them. The more Americans learn to survive outside of the system and beat the system then Americans can take America back. But I fear too many have been traped by the system. Technology and the ability to maintain that technology has to be home grown. As technology improves so too would the the ability to maintain it at home and not pay someone for it. But the system has to go in a new direction for this to happen. And, with global warming the building and maintaining of technology on the home front becomes all the more critical. And for the upbeat theme to this tools to be used like this would be 3d printers that can make their own parts. Nano technology that can build itself. Technologys like these should be the ones that bring America to the future. Not companies that keep America slaves to them, the economy, and too the goverment. When can people be allowed to live as people and not as slaves? It will be a long time. Meantime everyone get a good nights sleep so you can go to work tomorrow and maintaine the rich and powerful so they can have their fancy vacations and eat at fancy resturants. Good day. Reactor out.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Reactor

You have a point about the maintaining of things. I've always said that in a capitalist society things are not built to last. There's no money in products you never have to replace. On the other hand we do not yet posses the ability to build machines that incur little to no wear and tear. I remember back in the day if I had a shirt, it lasted years before I had to throw it out. These days I buy a shirt and two weeks later the threads are coming apart. After a few washes the colors are dull, and the thing looks like I've owned it since the 80's. Aside from that, products that fall apart keep people working. Technology is built to last only as long as it takes to redesign and improve it. It can be frustrating, but that's why competition between companies is important. It's a battle of who can reach a balance between creating a desirable product that won't last long enough to put a dent in it's sales. While cars have been becoming less and less accessible without the special tools, they are becoming more safe and reliable. Besides, what soccer mom wants to fiddle in her engine compartment? Even if it was accessible, I'm sure people would prefer to take it to someone with the knowledge to fix it. While the older cars are easier to work on, they do have problems as parts fall apart. I've spent enough time around cars to know how finicky they can be if not taken care of.

We can argue that we are slaves to many things. There is no system on this earth where you are not a slave to something. We are slaves to our desires and needs. We need to eat, drink, breathe air, sleep, relax, and we need freedom to move around. We have to work for everything in life, and if we want to chat on the internet, we need computers and phones. We don't need computers to survive, but sometimes they do make life a little easier and interesting. Nobody is forcing us to live in apartments/houses or buying iphones. We do it to ourselves, and we have a choice to refuse to participate in the madness. We have the freedom to get on a plane, go to the Amazon and make the jungle our new home.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

you is correct

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join