It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood tax: what you will pay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I agree that taxing the very people affected by the flooding is pretty horrible, but the money given to Jakarta is to moderate the influence of the Islamic schools

By paying for 1500 madrasah, as the schools are also known, to adopt Indonesia’s national curriculum, students will receive a more traditional education in the sciences, history and humanities and not focus so heavily on studying the Koran.

Sounds like a find plan to me. But this is off-topic.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Why should I have to pay a permanent levy for future flood victims if they choose to build houses in the middle of high risk flood plains? How about not building towns where floods are inevitable! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You can't really blame the people for building there..
Most wouldn't be aware it was a flood plain..

But what about the Government Councils??
Why did they "allow" people to build there and why did they build the roads and other infrastructure on known flood plains.??
If anyone is to blame it's the Government for allowing them to build......

Absolutely. Brisbane and many other areas of QLD have flooded many times in the past and certainly will in the future. Local, state and federal governments know this (I have a log of floods in SEQLD in the last 150yrs or so and you would be shocked) yet still allow these areas to be developed.

Why? Can you say rates and council fees?

It seems that Campbell has attempted to control building in known flood prone areas despite many thinking it is unnecessary after 10 odd years of drought.

And he's a Civil Engineer.

I'm just stunned that a Civil Engineer actually proved himself useful for........ anything really.....

<< 1   >>

join