It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 recent (January, 2011) UFO videos. Can we debunk?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm kinda curious myself about these.

The first one which was filmed in Leeds is interesting (just be sure to watch the end analysis as well), but the second one in Colombia is even more interesting - too good to be true, in fact. CGI, a reflection? Lets get to the bottom of these:

Also - the first one is in HD (conveniently), and on a tripod as well (also convenient).
edit on 1/26/2011 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Nothing to even debunk. The first one is your typical useless video of lights at night which could be anything, so no need to waste time giving tripe like that our attention. The second one lacks enough detail to make anything out, but even so it would seem that this object is nothing more than something very mundane taken out of context on purpose.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Nothing to even debunk. The first one is your typical useless video of lights at night which could be anything, so no need to waste time giving tripe like that our attention. The second one lacks enough detail to make anything out, but even so it would seem that this object is nothing more than something very mundane taken out of context on purpose.

Well, I'm a skeptic on these two - that's why I made this thread. But thank you for you substantial opinion.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The first thing I usually check is the passes of the ISS.
Dont think that is what we are seeing in the first video (assuming the date, time and location are accurate)
ISS passes over Leeds on that date were as follows:

20 Jan 08:09:46 10 SSE 08:10:08 10 SE 08:10:31 10 SE
20 Jan 09:42:07 10 SW 09:44:48 33 SSE 09:47:33 10 E
20 Jan 11:17:01 10 WSW 11:19:56 55 S 11:22:51 10 E
20 Jan 12:52:18 10 W 12:55:04 33 SSW 12:57:45 10 SE
20 Jan 14:29:09 10 SW 14:29:44 10 SW 14:30:19 10 SSW

source

If the date and time are not accurate, then its hard to discount the ISS, except for the strange redness to the light.

The second video, I have a hard time not seeing it simply as a mylar balloon. The reflectiveness matches, even the motion that it would have aloft in the wind matches to my eyes.

So my verdict:
vid number 1 -- no clue yet, probably not the ISS if the data is accurate
vid number 2 -- mylar balloon

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Well, what did you want me to say? Did you want me to somehow freak out and scream that these videos are far and above the best thing that has happened to Ufology? They are what they are, no matter if you like my opinion or not. The first one is useless and the second one is obvious.

Look, they aren't your videos, no need to take it personal. After you have been around for years and years (if disappointment hasn't turned you away from this subject permanently by then) you will know where I'm coming from and you will no longer have to dwell very long on videos such as these.

There may be a diamond in the rough, and I know that's what your trying to find here. But I am pretty sure you will know it when you see it and it wont be anything like these videos. I'm still looking myself, and fear I will be looking up till my deathbed.....as the smoking gun video probably doesn't exist in the public realm and certainly will never make it's way onto youtube I bet.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The ISS goes by a bit faster than that doesn't it? Either that, or all the time's I've been sure I've seen it, I've actually seen a UFO ...
lol

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Just because you've been here a long time, doesn't mean we all have.. The vids were interesting to me!! I don't have time to sit and go through all the archives of videos people have posted, so I can't go back and see all of the videos that are out there.. we all have to start somewhere!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Weeeden
The ISS goes by a bit faster than that doesn't it? Either that, or all the time's I've been sure I've seen it, I've actually seen a UFO ...
lol

It depends on its pass. If you look at the times inmy above post, you can see the times vary from 1-2 minutes up to 5 mins. It does travel quite quickly, and with the saild unfurled can be quite bright. The speed and the magnitude are what catched peoples eyes and they often mistake it for a UFO, which is why its always what I check first

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

That's cool! I didn't even know you could tell what time it was going to pass! Going to be bookmarking that one and looking to see when I can watch for it! Thanks for the info

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Weeeden

Most certainly welcome.
It is a good site, I use it from time to time for the ISS passes.

Also check out stellarium, its a downloadable program that gives a very good view of the stars above if you want to get vantage points in the sky, or just figure out what that light is that caught your eye.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Well, what did you want me to say? Did you want me to somehow freak out and scream that these videos are far and above the best thing that has happened to Ufology? They are what they are, no matter if you like my opinion or not. The first one is useless and the second one is obvious.

Look, they aren't your videos, no need to take it personal. After you have been around for years and years (if disappointment hasn't turned you away from this subject permanently by then) you will know where I'm coming from and you will no longer have to dwell very long on videos such as these.

There may be a diamond in the rough, and I know that's what your trying to find here. But I am pretty sure you will know it when you see it and it wont be anything like these videos. I'm still looking myself, and fear I will be looking up till my deathbed.....as the smoking gun video probably doesn't exist in the public realm and certainly will never make it's way onto youtube I bet.

No, I was looking for a response like youdidntseeme gave.

Thank you, ydsm. I thought the second was a balloon of some sort as well, but the winking-out part got me. But then the video ends so it seems likely it was nothing.

And I agree to an extent with your last statement.
edit on 1/27/2011 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Well, I have to agree that there isn't much to "debunk".

The first video is just a light in the sky, and many of those exist... My first impression is that it is a jet flying towards the camera at a very far distance. The "ball of fire" observation is very common for jets being observed at a distance at night because of scintillation.

Here is a video I recorded of similar objects (jets) flying over LA towards my position:

The second video reminded me of one of my first UFOs that I saw with my own eyes, but it was silver. I could only explain it as a silver object that seems to be rocking side to side like a boat in wavy water, and one side was really dark. So it would flip between silver and black constantly. I figured it was just a mylar balloon because it just floated by as if it was carried by the wind, but the movement of it (the rocking) was giving me doubts because it seems controlled... Then a year later a video turns up of the same exact thing I saw with my eyes. It was known as the Venice Beach UFO. The Venice UFO is EXACTLY what I saw with my eyes. I think it looks similar to the second video in the OP.

I have come to the conclusion that the Venice UFO, and the UFO I saw with my eyes was just a mylar balloon, but it did have me scratching my head at first.

I think the object in the second video may just be a bluish tinted mylar balloon.

-to add-
As a CGI guru, I could confirm that none of the videos are CGI, they are real.

edit on 27-1-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Just to add... here is 3 mylar balloons tied together:

Notice how they flip between reflective and dark, just like the second video.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
Just to add... here is 3 mylar balloons tied together:

Notice how they flip between reflective and dark, just like the second video.

Oh yeah, that second video is definitely a mylar balloon. Thanks! This is why I love ATS and the fact that I've went from total believer to a skeptic. I never thought I would say that!

Edit. Well, I'm still a believer, and when I say skeptic, I just mean that I don't automatically believe a video is real and if I have any doubts I can just post them here and get good input.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Edit. Well, I'm still a believer, and when I say skeptic, I just mean that I don't automatically believe a video is real and if I have any doubts I can just post them here and get good input.

I think you will find alot of members here are the same as you. I know I am, thats the way I chose my avatar. Well I added the TARDIS

I am a believer, and want to believe, but I am not going to pawn off mylar balloons as a UFO on youtube haha.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Thanks for your positive comment on my "typical useless video", i really appreciate it. At the end of the day i saw what i saw. The one object that i was following was the only thing that was moving, the rest were either street lights or the moon. The light to the left hand side of the video was the light on top of the "Bridge Water Place" tower. Drawing a line from the top of beeston hill to the tower of Bridge Water Place would show exactly where the object originated from.

And yeah it was "convenient" that i was using a HD camera, but its just a camera with HD functionality on it (Panasonic Lumix TZ10 with 12x optical zoom). And who said i was using a tripod? yeah that would also have been "convenient" but i was recording it through my open attic window while holding it in my hand. Thats why i kept brushing against the wind chimes, hence why its a bit shakey on full 12x optical zoom, im not a machine, i cant keep the camera perfectly still, freak. Its people like you that put people off uploading ufo sightings altogether, for fear of it getting ripped apart by nay sayers.

At the end of the day i saw what i saw. If you like i could create a torrent with the original HD stream in it, taken directly from the camera, including the directory structures so you can also scrutinise the time stamp on everything and tear the video apart yourself and see that im not lieing through my teeth...

It wasnt simply a jet flying towards the camera, it was flying in the opposite direction of the Leeds and Bradford Airport, never have i seen anything flying head-on in the direction of the usual flight path of incoming landing aircraft. Dont you think the air traffic controller would frown a little bit on jets flying towards other oncoming jets.... and if it was a jet how on earth can you explain what happened to it as it appeared to rapidly skip across the sky then double back on itself and vanish? i guess thats a new pilot maneuver where they do a sharp bank left and switch off all the engine and lights or something?

At the end of the day if you want me to create a torrent of the file i will do, then you'll be able to rip it to shreds yourself.

I have a question, what is "ISS" that you are referring to? and yeah the object i filmed was recorded between 7:15pm and 7:18pm. I actually stood at my doorstep for a minute or two, observing another strange light in the sky that the object i managed to record had followed, thats why i asked myself "where the *snip* is it" near the start of the video.

Cya
edit on 28-1-2011 by billybifocals because: spelling mistakes

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors Please Review This Link.

edit on 29-1-2011 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybifocals

At the end of the day i saw what i saw. If you like i could create a torrent with the original HD stream in it, taken directly from the camera, including the directory structures so you can also scrutinise the time stamp on everything and tear the video apart yourself and see that im not lieing through my teeth...

Always remember what you said here. Only you know what it is that you saw, the rest is just analyzing the existing evidence, which always leaves a bit to be desired when compared with actual first hand experience. I recommend that people take all the comments into account, and help themselves form a better opinion. Dont take any offence, because at the end of the day, anyone here is looking for the truth, no matter what the truth might be

I have a question, what is "ISS" that you are referring to? and yeah the object i filmed was recorded between 7:15pm and 7:18pm. I actually stood at my doorstep for a minute or two, observing another strange light in the sky that the object i managed to record had followed, thats why i asked myself "where the fcuk is it" near the start of the video.

The ISS is the international space station. Many alleged UFO sighting can be tracked down to more mundance explanations. The ISS is commonly mistaken for something else, because of its size, magnitude and realatively quick speed compared to what we are used to seeing. In this case, according to the facts supplied, we can rule out the ISS when comparing to its actual data from theat date and time.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

It wasnt simply a jet flying towards the camera, it was flying in the opposite direction of the Leeds and Bradford Airport, never have i seen anything flying head-on in the direction of the usual flight path of incoming landing aircraft. Dont you think the air traffic controller would frown a little bit on jets flying towards other oncoming jets....

Jets can fly any direction they wish, or need, as long as there is a clear path, and ATC says it is clear. I don't see any other jets in your video, so it was obviously clear. From the looks of the angle you are filming, the object was fairly high, and would be out of the way of incoming traffic trying to land.

and if it was a jet how on earth can you explain what happened to it as it appeared to rapidly skip across the sky then double back on itself and vanish? i guess thats a new pilot maneuver where they do a sharp bank left and switch off all the engine and lights or something?

To me it looks like your camera movement caused that "maneuver".

Maybe they did switch the lights off real quick, or more than likely the aircraft was at just the right angle to block the light from view with another part of the aircraft.

Like I said, all you have is a light in the sky, and everything can be explain away as a jet or aircraft. That is why your video is useless to UFOlogy.

I have a question, what is "ISS" that you are referring to?

ISS = International Space Station. I can confirm this is not the ISS. I have recorded the ISS and it doesn't ever look reddish orange like a normal jet light would look. It is more bright white like a star because it's reflecting direct sunlight.

and yeah the object i filmed was recorded between 7:15pm and 7:18pm. I actually stood at my doorstep for a minute or two, observing another strange light in the sky that the object i managed to record had followed,

So the object you filmed was following another object. Sounds exactly like commercial aircraft following a flight path / vector route.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
ISS = International Space Station. I can confirm this is not the ISS. I have recorded the ISS and it doesn't ever look reddish orange like a normal jet light would look. It is more bright white like a star because it's reflecting direct sunlight.

Not only does the light not match, but the ISS was not flying over Leeds at that time, it had been over earlier in the afternoon, and probably not visible. I am also of the believe that it most likely was a commercial jetliner fimed at the precise angle to block out the green anticollision lights, so all we are seeing is the red on the right wing.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

Thanks for explaining ISS, I wouldn't say my video was "useless to UFOlogy", its you *snip* debunking everything left right and center that deem them useless, the really sad thing is that out of all the videos you have most likely ripped to shreads over the years, one of them may have been something genuinely not of this planet..this whole website seems to full of figgin close-minded cynics, in your mind everythings either a Chinese lantern, jet, ISS, satellite, planet, laser dot, CGI, cloud, reflection, star, Jesus anything except a "UFO", it really is very sad.

Another question, did you bother to check for outgoing flights from the Leeds and Bradford airport at the time I recorded the video? You went through the effort of looking up the ISS visibility times.

Mod Note: Civility & Decorum are Expected Please Review This Link.
edit on 29-1-2011 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join