It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam's own 'great wall' uncovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Quang Ngai, Vietnam (CNN) -- Nestled in the mountain foothills of a remote province in central Vietnam, one of the country's most important archaeological discoveries in a century has recently come to light.

After five years of exploration and excavation, a team of archaeologists has uncovered a 127-kilometer (79-mile) wall -- which locals have called "Vietnam's Great Wall."

Professor Phan Huy Lê, president of the Vietnam Association of Historians, said: "This is the longest monument in Southeast Asia."

The wall is built of alternating sections of stone and earth, with some sections reaching a height of up to four meters.

The rest of the article can be read here.

An very interesting story. It's cool to see that we are still discovering these ancient sites.

What are your thoughts ATS? Another place on the roadmap of Ancient sites to visit?

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

S & F

Always interested in new finds.

thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Another great archeological find! Bravo Ats community tonight, and archeologists around the world

The great wall of CHINA has always interested me, not for text-book logical reasons...but quite the opposite;

How did they take such lengthy time building a wall of such scale without the 'mongols' noticing or de-railing the operation?

Was it really to keep them mongols out? Or was it perhaps to keep 'something else' out...

Weather related?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

That's a great question.

Maybe it was a border dispute between tribes?

I'm not sure it would be weather related.

I guess as the dig goes on more information will come to light

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Very cool find.
I don't understand how people can forget about this type of thing. I mean it probably took a long time and people to build but no one remembered it was there?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Isn't it odd, two different peoples can cooperate to construct something which benifits both. Perhaps we can all learn from them.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Interesting indeed. Good find.

One would think that maybe walls were Southeast Asia's version of castles in Medieval Europe.

top topics

join