posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:05 AM
How VX works
•The extent of poisoning caused by VX depends on the amount of VX to which a person was exposed, how the person was exposed, and the length of time
of the exposure.
•Symptoms will appear within a few seconds after exposure to the vapor form of VX, and within a few minutes to up to 18 hours after exposure to the
•VX is the most potent of all nerve agents. Compared with the nerve agent sarin (also known as GB), VX is considered to be much more toxic by entry
through the skin and somewhat more toxic by inhalation.
•It is possible that any visible VX liquid contact on the skin, unless washed off immediately, would be lethal.
•All the nerve agents cause their toxic effects by preventing the proper operation of the chemical that acts as the body’s “off switch” for
glands and muscles. Without an “off switch,” the glands and muscles are constantly being stimulated. They may tire and no longer be able to
sustain breathing function.
•VX is the least volatile of the nerve agents, which means that it is the slowest to evaporate from a liquid into a vapor. Therefore, VX is very
persistent in the environment. Under average weather conditions, VX can last for days on objects that it has come in contact with. Under very cold
conditions, VX can last for months.
•Because it evaporates so slowly, VX can be a long-term threat as well as a short-term threat. Surfaces contaminated with VX should therefore be
considered a long-term hazard.
Immediate signs and symptoms of VX exposure
•People may not know they were exposed to VX because it has no odor.
•People exposed to a low or moderate dose of VX by inhalation, ingestion (swallowing), or skin absorption may experience some or all of the
following symptoms within seconds to hours of exposure:
◦Small, pinpoint pupils
◦Drooling and excessive sweating
◦Nausea, vomiting, and/or abdominal pain
◦Slow or fast heart rate
◦Abnormally low or high blood pressure
•Even a tiny drop of nerve agent on the skin can cause sweating and muscle twitching where the agent touched the skin.
•Exposure to a large dose of VX by any route may result in these additional health effects:
◦Loss of consciousness
◦Respiratory failure possibly leading to death
•Showing these signs and symptoms does not necessarily mean that a person has been exposed to VX.
What the long-term health effects are
Mild or moderately exposed people usually recover completely. Severely exposed people are not likely to survive. Unlike some organophosphate
pesticides, nerve agents have not been associated with neurological problems lasting more than 1 to 2 weeks after the exposure.
How people can protect themselves, and what they should do if they are exposed to VX
•Recovery from VX exposure is possible with treatment, but the antidotes available must be used quickly to be effective. Therefore, the best thing
to do is avoid exposure:
◦Leave the area where the VX was released and get to fresh air. Quickly moving to an area where fresh air is available is highly effective in
reducing the possibility of death from exposure to VX vapor.
■If the VX release was outdoors, move away from the area where the VX was released. Go to the highest ground possible, because VX is heavier than
air and will sink to low-lying areas.
■If the VX release was indoors, get out of the building.
•If people think they may have been exposed, they should remove their clothing, rapidly wash their entire body with soap and water, and get medical
care as quickly as possible.
•Removing and disposing of clothing:
◦Quickly take off clothing that has liquid VX on it. Any clothing that has to be pulled over the head should be cut off the body instead of pulled
over the head. If possible, seal the clothing in a plastic bag. Then seal the first plastic bag in a second plastic bag. Removing and sealing the
clothing in this way will help protect people from any chemicals that might be on their clothes.
◦If clothes were placed in plastic bags, inform either the local or state health department or emergency personnel upon their arrival. Do not handle
the plastic bags.
◦If helping other people remove their clothing, try to avoid touching any contaminated areas, and remove the clothing as quickly as possible.
•Washing the body:
◦As quickly as possible, wash any liquid VX from the skin with large amounts of soap and water. Washing with soap and water will help protect people
from any chemicals on their bodies.
◦Rinse the eyes with plain water for 10 to 15 minutes if they are burning or if vision is blurred.
•If VX has been ingested (swallowed), do not induce vomiting or give fluids to drink.
•Seek medical attention right away. Dial 911 and explain what has happened.
How VX exposure is treated
•Treatment consists of removing VX from the body as soon as possible and providing supportive medical care in a hospital setting. Antidotes are
available for VX. They are most useful if given as soon as possible after exposure.
How people can get more information about VX
People can contact one of the following:
•Regional poison control center: 1-800-222-1222
•Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
◦Public Response Hotline (CDC)
◦E-mail inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
This fact sheet is based on CDC’s best current information. It may be updated as new information becomes available.