It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakthrough promises $1.50 per gallon synthetic gasoline with no carbon emissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Source

UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline. Apart from promising a future transportation fuel with a stable price regardless of oil prices, the fuel is hydrogen based and produces no carbon emissions when burned. The technology is based on complex hydrides, and has been developed over a four year top secret program at the prestigious Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford. Early indications are that the fuel can be used in existing internal combustion engined vehicles without engine modification.

This should be interesting to follow. It seems these breakthroughs have a tendency to disappear once they are shown to be viable.

Oil companies would lose as would those wishing to tax carbon emissions. Follow the money...

edit on 26-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I would be interested in the power difference this might give to say 93 octane verses 91 octane or E85.

It will be interesting as well to see where this goes.

Raist

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

The article doesn't add much..
I also thought hydrogen cost more than petrol..

The "no carbon at point of use" also sounds odd..
Does that maybe mean carbon is produced in the manufacturing stage??
If so, that needs to be taken into account..

Other than that, it sounds good but who knows.??
s&f..

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Yea get ready for the sequel to "who killed the electric car" entitled "who killed synthetic fuel"

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by bozzchem

The article doesn't add much..
I also thought hydrogen cost more than petrol..

The "no carbon at point of use" also sounds odd..
Does that maybe mean carbon is produced in the manufacturing stage??
If so, that needs to be taken into account..

Other than that, it sounds good but who knows.??
s&f..

I'll admit the article didn't go into much detail. It certainly didn't go into the detail I would have liked but I hope to hear more as they continue.

The chemistry described is not my area of expertise but most certainly sounds plausible.

I forgot to add that there is no shortage of hydrogen available (H2O) but the expense is the thermodynamics of getting the H from the water. Again, this is not my area of expertise but it could certainly prove to be promising.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cib2010
Yea get ready for the sequel to "who killed the electric car" entitled "who killed synthetic fuel"

Star for you. Shall we make a gentleman's wager on how long it takes for this research to "vanish"?

Should this technology prove to be viable, I wager you'll hear snippets and then it's gone within a year.

new topics

top topics

join