It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Mom Jailed For Sneaking Kids Into Better School

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
While I completely understand and support a parent who wants to make sure their children receive the best education available, I'm not sure I support the defining decision of the Mother in this story. She played the game and got caught (it happens) and when she was give an out (pay the tuition that would have been due) she refused. It's that refusal to pay the tuition owed that tagged her with a felony charge, 10-days in jail and worse yet, ruined her chances at the career she was working towards (she was near to completing her Education degree to become a teacher!) She made some fool choices and the long term effect is that she is now banned from receiving her certification in that state. Sigh.... too many bad choices snowballed...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

To a mother who loves and cares about her childrens education. I would have done the same thing. Thx for the thread. Funny I am in Ohio and did not hear of this on the news..

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
We did something similiar in the town we live in.

The schools (and town) are going to hell. The school board gerymandered the crap out of the districts (obviously on racial lines if you know the towns layout).

The school she would have been going to, was the school we pulled her from. It was a joke. The other school (equidistant from our house) was SLIGHTLY better.

The reason the city did this was that the overall school rankings were about to cause the state to take them over. The took the part of town with a bit more money and the kids having better grades and consolidated them into the new school. This gave one school with better (by public school standards) grades and score. It pulled the other one up.

We were able to get her into the better school by using a relatives address on the other side of town. My wife told them we were in the middle of a divorce (not) and she was living there for the time.

we have since gotten her out of the local school all together. The new school is in a more rural area where my wife works.

They are getting an education thats similiar to what they were about 25-35 years ago.

They also have corporal punishment (with a signed permit by parents).

It was tough on her. She went from an A student locally to close to failing for a couple of six weeks. The were proactive and she is now back to a B student. They are SERIOUS about their school "rank".

Damn shame other schools arent. Leadership at the top is a HUGE problem. Intelligent teachers (not "educators") are another.....and discipline.

All for less than $600 tuition for out of district. Helluva deal. I just hate my school taxes being used to turn the kids minds locally to crap.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I'm glad someone else can see the forest from the trees here.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
The judge is sending a message to others who feel fraud is a means to validate their problems, regardless of their intentions.

brill

I'm guessing you don't have children. Based upon what you claim as your location, if you do they are probably laughing away at your bubble bath...

This woman is stuck in a sh**ty situation. She wants the best for her children yet has a bunch of know it all bureaucrats running the show. She didn't use fraud as a means to validate her problems.

This argument can be as philosophical or legal as one would like to take it.

Had I been a juror (which she wasn't given a jury trial) she would not have been jailed.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
I'm guessing you don't have children.

You would guess wrong, but that is not the issue.

Originally posted by bozzchem
This woman is stuck in a sh**ty situation. She wants the best for her children yet has a bunch of know it all bureaucrats running the show. She didn't use fraud as a means to validate her problems.

Well let's see. Yah her situation is crappy but her actions have made that far worse now haven't they. We cant just do what we want when its convenient, life doesn't always work that way. She made a serious mistake and even more importantly what type of message has she sent her kids. That's its ok to break the law when it benefits you? She got off light in my opinion and the judge clearly displayed some leniency with that sentencing. I would have thrown that book at her had I been the judge.

brill

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The irony of the entire situation is the schools admitted that the school she was caught putting her children in was a better school. What was it they said?

school officials said she was cheating because her daughters received a quality education without paying taxes to fund it.

What happened to this nation? She shouldn't have to go to the extent of having to lie about her residence to find her children a decent education. This is suppose to be the United States.

The next irony of this situation is the school spent thousands of dollars to investigate her. They say this was cheaper than what it would cost to educate her daughters. $30,000 in back tuition? What is the local and state tax rate?

I've come to the conclusion that while she did do wrong, it was for the right reason.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The father lived in that district. Why did he not take responsibility for his children and have them live with him? This is a two-way street and the mother should not have had to bear this burden, alone. For whatever reason, the father did not (apparently) deem the educational environment important enough to have his children live with him. Just another side to the story that should not be overlooked.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what a persons race is, it comes down to money, and how much you have. Schools funding comes directly from property tax of the local areas. Rich areas pay high taxes, and have less children per sq mi....hence a better, less crowded school system that can devote more money per child. They use the tax base to discriminate against anyone. Basicly, you can only send your child to a school that your money goes to. However in a big city or highly populated area, most people rent and there are few actual property owners in such a dense area. Therefore those schools will be over crowded due to a denser population and receive less tax money at the same time. It's designed to create poor schooling in so called "poor" areas. Your kids will be discriminated based on your income and lack of tax(bribe) money.

This school had so much money they could HIRE A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR! The communitys taxes paid for that. When the government is allowed to tax, they can then discriminate based on such.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Why are vouchers still beaten down by unions?

What's the score now?
State=500,748,295 ; Individual=0.

They take control, run it into the ground, then convince you they're way is the only way. You can't change it with money because you don't have any you can't change it with votes because the corruption and backscratching inside deals have the outcome decided weeks before any vote and if you try to get it done on your own you get sucked into the system for breaking rules they set up.

It amazes me everyday more cities aren't being burned to the ground and more politicians set on rails.

Whenever there's a proposal to fix a situation like this it devolves into petty partisan slogan chanting and name calling. God forbid anything actually get fixed when there's an election to win and a population to manipulate.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
No winners in this story. The schools hands are tied. What the Mother did was equally right and wrong.

I don't think the Mother is even the most important part of this story, the fact that the situation that lead to this exists, is the story.

Of course we all at first glance jump on the Mothers side with out hearts, but then if you get into the details and the costs involved, the other side is suddenly not so evil. Both are most certainly trapped in their positions by the system they are operating in. Both sides did exactly what they had to do.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
State of Ohio threatened to jail me for homeschooling my 16 year old daughter (she was threatened with truancy and foster home)...and her father and I were still married at the time and living together when this happened.

Ohio has some really weird laws when it comes to kids and their education. The teachers I knew before I home schooled my daughter truly set off a lot of bells and whistles as to their methods of teaching.

Sorry this woman was sent to jail....then again...the judge said she was setting an example. The example was set with total disregard of this woman, who was training to be a teacher herself, and how her life would be impacted from the judges "example". Quite possibly, the woman refused to pay the "tuition" (all states will get "protection" money one way or another) because she just may not have had it to pay.

Some rules were made to be broken, especially when it is being done to better someone!

I took my daughter and left that god forsaken state...was it worth it, you betcha...my kid took two years off, got her GED...very intelligent, btw...didn't need the dumbing down she would have received in public school.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: grammer

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Unbelievable. Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. I honestly think 10 days is NOTHING. Would you want this woman teaching your child? Not here.

Our county’s school system has a few fulltime people who work on out of district issues, both from local school districts to out of county. How about we all double or triple our taxes so even more people who mean well can bring their kids to our area? It seems she had a few other options that would have allowed her daughter to attend that school (tuition, father, etc.), she just chose to try to cheat the system.

Why would people support a cheater? Should we all pay double at the market so ½ the people can steal the food I work for every day? Hopefully the daughter got an education that will allow her to understand that good intentions are not an excuse to break the law.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I've done it to get my sons into better schools than they would have had.
That poor woman. Her sentence is draconian.
This world is so messed up.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jake the Dog Man
Unbelievable. Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. I honestly think 10 days is NOTHING. Would you want this woman teaching your child? Not here.

Our county’s school system has a few fulltime people who work on out of district issues, both from local school districts to out of county. How about we all double or triple our taxes so even more people who mean well can bring their kids to our area? It seems she had a few other options that would have allowed her daughter to attend that school (tuition, father, etc.), she just chose to try to cheat the system.

Why would people support a cheater? Should we all pay double at the market so ½ the people can steal the food I work for every day? Hopefully the daughter got an education that will allow her to understand that good intentions are not an excuse to break the law.

Horse dung. Your crappy bureaucracy can't handle natural load levelling of the populace in an area and can't properly administrate taxation? You all live in the same basic area. If your bureaucracy is so unwieldy that load levelling and taxation in districts is THAT difficult that you consider it STEALING to just be on the wrong database, perhaps you need to fire the dummies running it.

Romans. You guys really are the Romans. And we are probably the Eutrucians, and the Gods hope that eventually your see that bad bureaucracy is going to strangle the crap out of you before your bloating corpse falls on all of us.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I live near the school district she was trying to get her kids out of. Let me tell you this lady deserves a medal not jail time. Heres a link to this mornings newspaper with her story!!

www.ohio.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Ohio Mom Jailed For Sneaking Kids Into Better School

slatest.slate.com

A single Ohio mom spent 10 days in jail this month after being convicted of falsifying records so she could send her teenage daughters to a better school. Kelley Williams-Bolar lives in a high-poverty, high-crime area known for its troubled schools, but her father lives in a neighborhood served by a highly-regarded district. Using her father's address, Williams-Bolar enrolled her daughters in the better school. But district officials apparently became suspicious, so they hired a private investigator who filmed Williams-Bolar picking her daughters up and taking them home. The district demanded
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.comcast.net

probably the cost of the investigator is far higher than the damage done.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Funny, politicians get caught lying about their residency all the time and don't go to jail. Isn't that why Rahm Emmanuel is in court to stay on the ballot in Chicago?

Where I live, a state senator was accused of lying about his residency to run for office. He lived in Westchester County and he was a state senator in the Bronx (Pedro Espada). Everyone knew this guy was a criminal and corrupt. He was finally booted out when he pissed off the wrong people in Albany. Good riddance.

FYI - parents living in the outlying suburbs lie about their residency so their kids can go to the special public schools in NYC for gifted students, so it's not just a racial issue.

reply to post by Blaine91555

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Horse dung. Your crappy bureaucracy can't handle natural load levelling of the populace in an area and can't properly administrate taxation? You all live in the same basic area. If your bureaucracy is so unwieldy that load levelling and taxation in districts is THAT difficult that you consider it STEALING to just be on the wrong database, perhaps you need to fire the dummies running it.

Romans. You guys really are the Romans. And we are probably the Eutrucians, and the Gods hope that eventually your see that bad bureaucracy is going to strangle the crap out of you before your bloating corpse falls on all of us.

You have read too many stories, not enough real life experience. I begrudge nobody a better education, but I do have problems when people feel the need to lie to cross district lines. There WERE other options, she did not use them, she got caught, now she will do some time.

You honestly believe what you say? Take the time to educate yourself as to what it costs, per student, to educate a child in your school district. If you are willing to pay more out of your pocket to have people come to your district then run for office. There seem to be enough people in this thread alone that misunderstand the problem with what this woman did. You run on a ticket of being fair & open borders. See how many people are willing to allow anyone from anywhere to come to the schools that your taxes support, because they need to understand that it will make them feel good to educate 3 times as many kids that even live in their district.

Repost when you get elected.
edit on 27-1-2011 by Jake the Dog Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I am glad you did not get caught sneaking your kids into other people's discrict for schooling.

We always picked our place of residence after carefully studying the local schools. Once it meant my husband had to drive an extra thirty miles to work so we could live in a neighborhood served by a decent school. At times we had to send them to private school.

All this kept us pretty poor, but I figured I would rather be poor than tolerate the abuse of my children in a violent and chaotic school. That would have made me a basketcase. The cost of education for parents who care about education is steep.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join