It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Mom Jailed For Sneaking Kids Into Better School

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Ohio Mom Jailed For Sneaking Kids Into Better School

slatest.slate.com

A single Ohio mom spent 10 days in jail this month after being convicted of falsifying records so she could send her teenage daughters to a better school. Kelley Williams-Bolar lives in a high-poverty, high-crime area known for its troubled schools, but her father lives in a neighborhood served by a highly-regarded district. Using her father's address, Williams-Bolar enrolled her daughters in the better school. But district officials apparently became suspicious, so they hired a private investigator who filmed Williams-Bolar picking her daughters up and taking them home. The district demanded
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.comcast.net

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Will the absurdity ever end. Jailed for wanting a decent education for her kid? I just think this is ridiculous. Surely something could have been worked out besides jail and a criminal record that will follow this woman for the rest of her life. Just tack this on to the countless stories I've seen on ATS about the government run amok.

slatest.slate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
She should not get jail time for protecting and trying to get a better education for her kids. I know someone that has a son, she and her ex have joint custody, he stays at his Dad's during the week and stays with Mom on weekends. The better school was in the Mother's district and the school in his Dad's district is full of crime and has a bad reputation for education. So he is going to the school in his Mother's district and I hope they don't get caught because he is suppose to go to the other school. I would hate to see anyone get jailed for this, I would do the same if my children were school age.
edit on 26-1-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GodofWar411

As a "noob" you probably don't know that ATS will allow two threads on the same subject if one is in the Breaking Alternative News forum.

Which this one is.

As you were.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
DAMN her for trying to get her daughter a better education!!! She should spend 15 years minimum!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by GodofWar411

As a "noob" you probably don't know that ATS will allow two threads on the same subject if one is in the Breaking Alternative News forum.

Which this one is.

As you were.

Offtopic but
I love when i read things like this

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
I searched using the phrase "Mom Jailed Over Kid's School". Nothing came back, so I posted.
Apparently this thread can be closed.
Sorry to make you do my work.

Don't feel bad! Your search didn't work because the other thread title was focused on race rather than on the facts. Quite frankly I've given you a flag and star for starting a thread that is titled appropriately for what the story was actually about.

edit on 26-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

I don't fault the woman for what she did. Unfortunately she doesn't realize that living in the *right* place entitles her children to a better school environment. Ah yes, one has to love the DOE and all the good it has done.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
i don't care i was just letting him know there was already a thread out ...... so can we either get on subject or move to the other thread and back on subject ..... i am here for info not to argue last time i try to help bye

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodofWar411
i may be a noob ...

over use of quote and censor evasion Oh the irony

As to the mom... how dare these peasants try to get an education... I mean sheesh, what is the world coming to?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Yes lets conveniently disregard the rules so that the mother isn't jailed and we all feel warm and cuddly inside. Rules are there for a reason, if you don't like them take steps to get them changed. It sounds like perhaps these kids should live with the father given the crappy conditions they are exposed to. There may be other circumstances involving the father as well which may not be in the best interests of those kids.

brill
edit on 26-1-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodofWar411
i don't care i was just letting him know there was already a thread out ...... so can we either get on subject or move to the other thread and back on subject ..... i am here for info not to argue last time i try to help bye

By all means, stay on topic. Wipe away the tears and do so.

Would you do what she did for her children? I applaud her for trying to put her children in a school that would provide a better education.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I know, how dare she not pay for tuition for 2 years!

It's only $30,000 dollars, small change to those obnoxious middle class wankers!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Let's not start fighting. He had a good point about the duplicate thread business. I get tired of seeing duplicate threads all over the place as well.

Back to topic:

Why the deuce did they decide to throw this woman in jail? And what of the kid? I guess it's back to wherever she/he was going to school. This whole "school district" thing is a conundrum. I think it should be done away with.

Competition . This is what creates a better product. If the product isn't doing the job, then it should fail.

If a school isn't "making the grade", parents should be free to send their kids to a better one. Period. I guess the unions and asinine laws and statutes are more important than people.

So what else is new?
edit on 1/26/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: gender

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Why the deuce did they decide to throw this woman in jail?

From the source you posted

the judge in the case has already admitted that Williams-Bolar's punishment was meant to be a warning to others in similar situations: "I felt that some punishment or deterrent was needed," she said, "For other individuals who might think to defraud the various school districts."

The judge is sending a message to others who feel fraud is a means to validate their problems, regardless of their intentions.

brill

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
to many WANNA BE mods on this site lol

But yeah that is total bs.
All she did was try to better her kids future and got sent to jail.
America sure is wonderful isnt it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
She deserves what was dealt. she should do what everyone else does move to where you want your kids to go to school. i do not feel sorry for her she knew what she was doing was wrong. would i do the same probably but i would deal with the choice i made and whatever it brings to me.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I think for a crime like this, she deserves at least a decade in prison and her kids need to be given to foster care. I can't imagine the pain she has put them through by taking this action. She is a horrible mother, and should be an example of how a mother SHOULDN'T act.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join