It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery: over 200 pelicans have washed up dead on North Carolina beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
More birds. I am sure this is news we don't want to hear. These birds were listed under "endangered" during the 60's and 70's because of DDT.

Any loss in my opinion is significant. Evidently this has been going on since November. But this is the first I have heard of these brown pelican deaths.

Preliminary necropsies by the University of Georgia on some of the more than 200 Brown Pelicans that have washed up on the shores of Topsail Beach on the coast of southeastern North Carolina are inconclusive and do not yet support concerns that foul play was responsible. Complete toxicology and pathology reports are expected to be available soon.

The otherwise good physical condition of the birds suggests they were actively feeding immediately prior to the time of death. Reports indicate that the stomach contents of the birds was also normal.

Sorry folks...forgot to add the source
200 Brown Pelicans Wash Ashore

edit on 26-1-2011 by SkunkSense because: Forgot the Source! Sorry Everyone.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
wow just when you thought that this bird thing was over bam there it is again , and i bet there have been more deaths just not found yet

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SkunkSense

There were problobly many deaths in less populated areas so they never make it to news

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Sorry, but where's the source?

I'd like to read the whole article. Am I just overlooking it or something? This is terrible news, I thought it was getting better

edit on 26-1-2011 by Fenix777 because: typo

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fenix777
Sorry, but where's the source?

I'd like to read the whole article. Am I just overlooking it or something? This is terrible news, I thought it was getting better

edit on 26-1-2011 by Fenix777 because: typo

I am so sorry. I did forget to add the source.
200 Brown Pelicans Wash Ashore

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Well, I wonder what the nay say'ers will say to this catastrophe. It makes me wonder if the Corexit that was used in the Gulf oil leak is poisoning the wild life. But wait, these die offs are becoming global

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Oh ok, cool, thanks
I thought my brain is getting too tired. I really should actually go to bed, was just thinking 4 o'clock is too early, isn't it? Or is it 4PM that that's a bit early?

I'm just going to read the article then I'm off. thanks for the post

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Just when I thought it had been a few days since a report, now we have another. I would think the autopsies are done in the location where birds are found, it certainly takes a long time to get a report. This happened in November and nothing conclusive. Very sad, I love pelicans as they use to sit next to me when I would go to the beach wall in the Florida Keys. When will this end and what is causing it is still a puzzling question.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

It's so difficult to determine what is causing the deaths. Yes, some of it is natural. But some is not as far as I believe. I am a nature buff. I watch it quite closely. I do worry about our animals. Without them, I don't think we would exist. Without the insect eaters (birds, bats, various mammals, fish) we could see an influx of insects. Many insects carry disease, so more insects, more disease. Many insects can wipe your crops out (locus/grasshoppers). Without crops....where do we stand? With more disease, where do we stand?
It's all connected to the delicate chain. I do hope the dominos are not falling.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by matrix12
wow just when you thought that this bird thing was over bam there it is again , and i bet there have been more deaths just not found yet

Probably right. I know if I was walking along the beach and saw a dead pelican, I may not think much of it and most likely wouldn't report it. So who really knows the actual count!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I love them too! It's such a joy to have one of natures creatures sit beside you.
I use to feed the white egret type birds with yellow feet (boots is what it looks like) when I visited Sanibel Island.
Although it was tearing my fingers up feeding them with those sharp beaks, it was worth it to me. It was a pleasure in my life with the natural sequence of life beside me. I wouldn't trade those experiences for gold! It is a feeling you can't forget if you respect nature!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
well this makes the 2nd such incident
in a month. Not an accident I would
be willing to bet money on.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I am sure it was the government,.
just like they had the black birds killed

At what point do we become worried....
edit on 26-1-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The Methane Hydrates are rising into the atmosphere and changing to Formaldehyde and water vapor, it has to be what is happening; the birds and the fish are the most sensitive. If it were not winter then we would be seeing other things such as frogs and reptiles dying as well. Soon the larger animals will begin to drop, especially the two-legged varieties.

So sad, I will say a prayer for the Brown Pelican; hopefully this will end soon.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I just found this video tonight of birds falling from the sky......Not sure if its real or not may be a publicist stunt. I just want to get your opinion, The birds start falling close to the end.

Birds falling at end

edit on 27-1-2011 by Oklastatefan because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2011 by Oklastatefan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Actually on topsail and kure beach they are VERY serious about their pelican preservation program.

You probably could'nt walk a mile of beach without seeing pelican preserve signs with numbers to call in case of...

and the locals treat the brown pelican like the bald eagle. couple months back someone got jailed and fined for shooting one with a bb gun for pooping on his dock

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Sad, bad news.

I grieve for all these dead creatures.

And I grieve for this planet - something is very wrong.

top topics

join